1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearing protection???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Murphy, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy

Murphy Member

I now have an inexpensive ear protection but it covers entire ear, does fine for for shooting but can't hear people speaking very well. wondering which type to buy so I can protect my hearing but also hear conversations, which do you prefer, in ear or over ears? also what will I need to pay?

2. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Peltor Tactical 6 is the probably the most value for the money. I use earplugs when shooting trap but wear the electronic muffs when scoring or 'pulling'. A side point is that the electronic's are great for hunting, they amplify sounds as well. You can hear that deer or turkey coming from a long way off. I do not like using the earmuffs when trap shooting as they interfere with my hold. I do see other people using them with no problems however. Bill

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Custom molded in ear plugs should run about $40 from a vendor at the bigger shoots. Only way to go for me.

Eric

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Molded-in-the-ear plugs have never worked for me...and the protection factor has been really low in the couple pairs I've bought at major shoots. It's an expensive to find out they don't do what you thought they would.

Electronic muffs, to me, are too heavy and their size makes them impossible to shoot in.

I use foam plugs. The link above leads to the Ear Plug Superstore's trial pack offers. You can buy an assortment of foam plugs and try them to find the ones that work best for you, then you can buy in a larger quantity. Best way to go in my opinion.

Morgan

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

If you are looking for true protection for your hearing; the answer is ear plugs AND muffs. However, it defeats your efforts to hear while on the line. I have a pair of Pro Ears electronic muffs. The model I have is low profile and designed for shooters. They do not interfere with my gun whatsoever. They are rather expensive. If cost is a factor you might try the Peltor. I highly recommend the Pro Ears if you want a quality muff that allows one to adjust the volume so you can hear while on the line or at the range. Ed

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The best protection comes from foam plugs. No one talks when they are shooting anyway. The Peltor 6 is good when close to the shooting and talking, but they don't really provide the protection one needs when shooting. I like the yellow EAR foam plugs.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"...the molded plugs do not work for me, the first time i used them my ears were ringing all the next day, and i have tried 3 different ones.."

At the Penna. State Shoot last year I got into a conversation with a gentleman who was making/selling molded earplugs at the door to the main building and I asked him if he knew what the noise reduction rating (NNR) of his product was.

He shuffled around a bit before replying that they were tested at "11 or 12", but he commented that he wasn't sure the tests "were done right". He offered to make me a pair of his best plugs and said that he would refund my money if I wasn't satisfied with them. I told him I liked my foam ones just fine.

Morgan

8. DocJim

DocJim Member

Esoxhunter has it right. A scientific study was carried out several years ago concerning which was the best protection and the combination was, not suprisingly, the winner. Used alone the foam plugs were superior to the molded ear defenders.
    Be careful if you use muffs (either passive or electronic ones) as they differ considerably in capacity to reduce noise. The Peltors that reduce about 28 decibels are the most efficient I beleive.

JAG, MD

9. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Visited an Audiology center & had a pair of ear plugs molded & fitted. They fit much better that the ones I got at a shoot

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Capt. Morgan: I see you cut and paste sections of other's posts. How do you do that? I bought a new Dell that came with VISTA and I can't figure out how to do it there either. Will appreciate the help. Dave P

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The link above has a free hearing test and also some neat sounds in the environment. I have been hard of hearing since I was 8 years old and try to save what I have left. I use the custom molded ear plugs and Browning muffs. The AD for the muffs said how many decibels of protection with a rating and in fine print it said the rating was with the addition of plugs. On a real hot day I just use the plugs.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Use foam plugs and the biggest, best muffs you can find. Talk later.

Neil

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

What?? Can you repeat aht please?

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've had three sets of custom made plugs made, only this last set works as supposed. I use those in addition to Peltor muffs with adjustable sound amplification with sound cut-off. Best system I've ever used. Hap

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I just had an audiogram and speech test from an Audiologist. A hearing loss can be Mild, Moderate, Moderate to Severe, Severe, or Profound. In my case at slightly higher frequencies the hearing loss is between Profound and Off the Chart. Let me tell you: Protection is very Important.

16. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

What Neil says is correct. I worked in a enviroment where 95 plus decimals was the norm. We did a lot of research on what provided the best protection. The foam plugs with ear muffs provided the most protection. The foam plugs were next but have to be clean (changed frequently) and inserted properly to prevent other ear problems. In the service, tank core, they gave us cotton for ear protection. I don't hear well. Post-2

17. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I have two different sets of custom-molded plugs, and neither pair will stay in. The right earplug, particularly, slips out of place to the point that I have to reset it at least once if not twice per station. I use muffs for pistol and rifle, but don't want to shoot shotgun with them. I finally went to disposable foam plugs - bought a box of 200 pairs from the Earplug Store, which currently costs $24, wear them once and drop them into a jar on my bench. When I get enough pairs in the jar, I drop them into a mesh bag and toss them into the wash. I only throw them away when they get too stiff to expand after I slip them into the ears, which means I can get four or five wearings, at the least, out of a pair of plugs. At that rate, I can get something like better than 1000 uses out of a box, and I question whether custom plugs would last me any longer - the more so since I can only shoot once a week, or less, nowadays. That's a lot of years, and I doubt that I'll still be shooting when I run out of plugs.

Tony

18. starship

starship TS Member

I've used these for the past three or four years and they work great.
    High NRR, comfortable and easy to use.

One pair lasts a long time. I only went to a new pair as the others were getting ugly and dirty.

Hmmmm, tried the URL and it didn't work. It is
    www.earplugsonline.com (cut and paste?)

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

These ear plugs get good comments from users. Hap

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

As a Trainer, I need to be able to hear and issue range commands on a hot range.

I have used ESP devices for many years. They are pricey, but do not scratch my $6K stock, mute the loud noises, and allow me to hear what I need to hear on the range.

If I am in a noisy environment with the social club behind the line, I simply turn them off while shooting.

ESP takes good care of them, and will do whatever is needed for a reasonable fixed price. The batteries they use (#393) are cheap and last a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ear protection for trap shooting
ear protection for trapshooting
hearing protection for shooting trap

hearing protection for trap shooting

molded hearing protection for trap shooting
trap shooting digital ear protection

trap shooting hearing protection

trap shooting hearing protectors