1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearing Protection for 10 year Old

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sharp1, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

I have a 10 Year old, what is the best ear protection for youths?

One always notices alot of hearing-aids at the trap house.

Sharp1

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

My wife uses these. Small ear canel. Also uses muffs...

I purchased her a container of 100 somewhere on the internet.

Macks safesound slim fit soft foam earplugs, NRR 29 db - 10 pair

http://www.myotcstore.com/store/p/23384-Macks-safesound-slim-fit-soft-foam-earplugs-NRR-29-db-10-pair.aspx

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

When we put on our youth shoot, I notice that a lot of younger kids have difficulty using foam ear plugs. I would go with muffs that fit a smaller head. The thin ones seem to work better about hitting the stock when mounting the gun. Mark

4. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Use both muffs and foam plugs. Kids hearing is very sensitive and they have a long time to use it.

Hearing damage is cumulative. It adds up a little at a time

5. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

The BEST is a custom molded ear plug to fit their ear !!

Where are you located ?? If you don't know anyone in your area who makes the custom molded plugs you can contact E.A.R.inc and they will give you the name and number of their closest vendor.

I do not recommend the foam plugs for kids as often times the canal is to small and with the foam all wadded up way to much sound gets past it. (foam plugs work well if your ear is the same size and shape of the foam)

Jerry B

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

<EM>The BEST is a custom molded ear plug to fit their ear !! </EM>

THAT'S TOTAL BULL SH~T

Never put anything 'in' a child's ears but foam ear protection. Learn how to put them in properly....they can be rolled small enough to fit a gnats ass...so don't ever believe that they won't fit a child's ear.

I know grown men that claim that foam won't work in their ears....The reason is that they are too lazy to learn how to insert them properly....

Molded ear plugs are nothing but a way to make a fast buck....they are not, and probably never will be, approved for safety purposes,,,, for a reason.

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Like someone said above, foamies AND muffs that actually fit. This is not an area to skimp. I found that Leight Sleepers in the two tone foam are the best for me. It took trying several types of hearing protection to find the best for me. I would expect it to be the same for your child.

The muffs are important because of the amount of noise conducted behind the ears to their hearing system.

The custom molded plugs are comfortable to wear, but are TERRIBLE when it comes to noise reduction. A properly fitted foam plug eliminates a LOT more noise. I have to pull my foam plugs out to hear scores when I shoot ATA. Even with these great plugs, I notice that my hearing is more accute when I have breaks from shooting. So I know that it is VERY important to have great hearing protection for kids.

Also, spend a few bucks to get a properly sized set of muffs for your child. It makes a big difference adding that layer. When I shoot handguns or indoors at all I double up my protection. If your kid is comfortable they will enjoy shooting more and will get hooked that much easier.

8. ky4some

ky4some Member

Foam plugs and muffs. Got 4 kids and they all shoot and this is their set up. Youth muffs are easy to find.

Mike Kamer

9. TC

TC TS Member

Foam and muffs!! If the kid has trouble with getting the foam rolled up and inserted properly you can get a silicone plug style that won't have quite as good a db rating but should be adequate. I think they are made by North or Lieght (sp?). Protect their hearing at all cost!

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Foam ear plugs plus muffs.

Make sure they get the foam plus all the way in.

Tell them "roll it up tight and put it in until it touches your brain, or your other ear, whichever comes first."

11. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I used tapered disposable ear plugs this year that you do not have to roll and have a small piece of plastic (actually a small "handle") to hold the plug with. NRR rating of 30. I like the fact you do not have to handle the foam part of the plug before you put it in your ear, it fits snugly and really cuts down on the sound. Price is not that bad if you order them in 200 pair packs. Should be easy for a child to use with a little training.

12. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Please tell me where the molded plugs are not approved ??

They are being made and sold daily to all kinds of work environments where noise is a problem. I have made several pair for the local police department for use on their pistol/rifle range. I have made several pair for a local machine shop (their insurance company demanded they go with a solid plug) I have a friend who's making plugs for the oil refinery workers.

I'm not saying that foams and muffs won't work.. but if you want the best protection "Custom" molded is the best!

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Everything I have read goes along with what 221 said. The bottom line is that just about all of the various ear protections suck; the testing is under controlled conditions that we are not going to really expect to achieve in practice.

I wear muffs plus throw away foam or the denser ones, whatever they are made of. Molded are ok by me along with muffs for a kid, but both is best.

I think the knock on the molded (in testing situation)is mainly they don't change to accomodate changes in the fit due to movement etc. Then again, throw aways are rarely ever fitted properly in the first place. That's why I think it's best to wear both. I rarely find wearing muffs is a hindrence, although I'm not shooting in > 100 degree weather much.

14. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One other thing to protect the Kid's hearing is to watch the volume on the iPod (and other such devices). I often run across kids who have their iPod up so loud that I can clearly hear the music several feet away even though they have their earbuds in place. And remember, I have been shooting for a goodly number of years so my hearing probably isn't anywhere near as sensitive as what theirs is.

All the muffs and plugs in the world won't help if they blow out their ears listening to their music.

Heck, some of them would probably be very happy to use their earbuds, playing music loudly, to "drown out" the noise while they are shooting! And they are dumb enough to figure hearing loss won't happen to them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.