1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearing aids?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Was listening to the tv while surfing TS. Commercial was on lady said I really should have taken my shoes off before I got laid? Told my wife I can't believe she said that! Well come to find out she said "WEIGHED" ! :)

2. thunder

thunder Active Member

Best place to purchase hearing aids is at costco. They check your hearing and fit you correctly. You have a 90 day test period or you get your money back. You get 2 year warranty plus one additional year if you use their american express card to pay for it. Also you have a 2 year loss warranty on it. The price is about half the amount compared to a hearing aid place and the quality is as good or better. I have nothing to do with costco other than very satisfied with their service and policy.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

+1 for Costco hearing aids.

I am very happy with mine.

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I am having 7 months of trouble with a high end pair . Left one keeps coming out causing feed back after 4 different impression molds . Took the first one out and laid it on the nightstand and the dog ate it . $365 more to get it replaced . Broke the 3rd one pushing it back in to stop the squeeling . Made the last which doesn`t stay in and doing the same . Now they said we are done and I am still waiting for the insurance carrier for this whole mess to get back to me for the last 4 weeks so today is a call back to them and see if they can put me onto another doctor in their book to start over again . I was told Cosco`s is the best place to go and would have saved a few thousand . So far these cost me $3000 out of pocket and I can only wear the right one and thats not even turned up high enough where my wife doesn`t have to ask if I have my aids in ?? She has to close the door to the tv room when I am watching tv at a normal level for me to understand what they are saying and it`s not even that good .

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I have captions on all my channels and will only rent movies that include captions! I now bitch when my wife turns my tv up when she watches with me! Good luck! By the way, all hearing aids do for me is turn up the noise level. I still cannot discern the ts, vs, bs, etc! Tom Rhoads

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I wear a pair of what I considered moderatly priced ones and find all they do is make things louder..not any clearer. When you get them adjusted for a conversation with someone, they also amplify every background noise in the area and usually drowns out the conversation. Sometimes, I think being deaf has its advantage and just turn them off.
    Just smile whan people speak to you and if they give you a bad look, you should have nodded your head instead of smiling. They get used to it!

Big Jack

7. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

I second Costco ,,MX8Dave

8. ctreay

ctreay Member

I don't know what kind of doctors did your examinations and or your fittings but I am on my second pair of aids from the VA in 10 years and have none of the major problems that have been mentioned here. Lets face it they are mechanical devices just like a pair of glasses and will never replace what God gave us. We have to adjust a little here and there. On the other hand my wife got her hearing aids from Wal-Mart (mirical ear) and she has most of your problems. Get a licensed professional to do your workup and they will work with you.

ctreay

9. TC

TC TS Member

Jack, would suggest you try a set of multi channel digitals. The difference is significant. Tony

10. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I have $3200 into a pair and decided after wearing them a few times that I much prefer the silent environment. Forgot how noisy life can be, happy now but the wife’s not.

11. soup

soup Member

DO NOT BUY HEARING AIDES WITHOUT FIRST SEEING AN EAR -NOSE AND THROAT MEDICAL DOCTOR . He or she will then send you to an AUDIOLOGIST who will determine what your loss is and the range you can get improvement . They will either sell you aides or more than likely inform you where to get them & what your individual script NEEDS to be . When you get the aides they will set them up for you persnally -each ear may be a different range .

I've used aides since I was about 19 or 20 & lost my hearing in the war . The VA spends quite a bit of time testing and fitting my aides & the people that do the fitting / testing are well educated and qualified .

Don't trust your hearing to a discount store . Use a licensed professional .
    We spend thousands of dollars on guns-reloaders etc without batting an eye . THERRE ARE NO BARGINS IN PARACHUTES OR YOUR HEALTH !!!!!!!!!

Good Shooting .

HIT

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

huh? what?

Did you say Gatorades?

All joking aside. I have the terrible ringing in my ears which in turn makes me speak loudly and have the TV on full blast. My friends say their ears hurt after talking to me on the phone because i talk so loud. Will an Audiologist do anything for this? Its to the point where as i have a hard time hearing my young son because he speaks so quitely. Thanks

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Between my bad hearing and poor eyesight, I never know what I've shot until I look at the scoresheet. Makes it kind of exciting.

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I just spoke with my carrier and they are sending me to another Hearing Aid place -- NJ Hearing and Tenitus Center -- it`s 1/2 mile from my home and it isn`t in their book of participating doctors yet ?? I also have Tenitus . I hope they correct the aids I have . We let you know what the outcome is .

15. clyslr

clyslr Member

Clayslayer: Hey I got my new hearing aid.
    Smoker : Oh yea! What kind is it?
    Clayslayer: 4 o'clock

Clayslayer(Dennis)

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

For everyone who does not benefit from hearing aids and has insurance, check on a cochlear implant. You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.