1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearing aids, daily use for shooters?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I have custom ear plugs and they work too well. Almost perfect silence. I can hear people talking, but have a difficult time understanding. Often miss hearing the puller and I never hear scores called when we move. Starting to become anti-social because it's way too inconvenient to remove and re-install over and over.

As a seasoned citizen who probably could use hearing aids. Anyone care to share experience wearing shooting aids/protection on a daily basis - on AND off the shooting field?

Larry

2. TC

TC TS Member

In my opinion, as I have been down this road for a long time: Electronic hearing protection devices do not completely protect you. There is a delay between the sensing of a damaging sound and the shut down of the device. Even with the shut down the amount of protection the device provides is generally unkown.

I wouldn't take a chance on subjecting my hearing aids to any excess noise.

Protect your hearing with a good set of foam plugs and muffs. Take them off when you walk off the line.

3. ctreay

ctreay Member

I wear in the ear digital aids in both ears, when I am on the line I remove them and put them in my vest pocket and put on my Peltor electronic muffs. They cut gunfire to a pop but I can hear pullers/scorers with ease. In fact if I turn them all the way up I can hear folks on the other side of the fence and shots are still just pops. I leave the muffs on between traps but when I leave the line I replace my aids.

ctreay

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

ctreay.... which model Peltor do you have. I also wear hearing aids but have been taking them off, putting ear plugs in,then putting them back on. Can't hear much of anything unless the hearing aids are in.

Rich

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I have been using EAR digitals for 3 years and they are great. Only complaints are that I hear people talking behind me, on the side of me. Also, when the batteries get week, they beep which can be distracting on the line. Muffels all gun shots.

blade819

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

I use the Peltor 6-S. I have had them for two years now and really like them.

ctreay

7. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

Well . . . .electronic hearing aids that also shut off sharp sounds are not appropriate in correcting my hearing; therefore I have to wear hearing aids that hang on my ear. (They are very small and I often don't notice them.)My point is that you ought to experience a shotgun blast when what you felt were foam plugs in your ear were actually hearing aids. This is an experience I only want to have ONCE! :)

8. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

WHAT? HUH?????

9. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Yup, been wearing them for about 10 years, when I go to the line to shoot I just remove the batteries and put the aids backin my ear, my hearing is so bad that I am just about stone deaf without them but used like I am using them they make fine ear plugs, I can hear the shooter next to me when he calls for a bird and if I look at the score keeper I can hear most of what he says. Not a problem for me. Woody

10. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I just purchased a set of the analog EAR aids. So far so good. I have been using the electronic ear muffs and wanted to try the ear. The vendor gave me a 30 day money back gurantee so I figured I couldn't go wrong. So far I am very pleased. Jake

11. ctreay

ctreay Member

I have used my Peltor muffs for deer hunting when I am on a stand, but not if I am helping with a drive.

ctreay

12. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I called earinc today (303-447-2619) and talked to Chris. Very helpful and informative. Gave me choices from $30 (retrofit my current fitted plugs) to over $2,000 (electronic).

Now, the ball is in my court - how much protection and how much conversation do I want.

Larry

13. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I've used E.S.P. professional electronic hearing protection for the last 5 years. They are analog and have volume adjustments on them. I had the impressions for them made by my hearing aid dealer. They sent the impressions off to E.S.P. and I received the units in about a week.

They are not cheap cost is about $750.00 dollars for the analog's like mine and approximately $2,000.00 for the digital models when I purchased mine in 2005.

I put them in when I get ready to shoot and take them out when leaving the club. I actually forget they are in my ears. I had mine made with the hypoalergenic earpiece's.

When on the line I turn the volume off in the left ear and turn the volume up just enough in the right ear to hear the score keeper. If I leave the volume up on both units I can hear people talking back at the club house.

They have worked very good for me. They cut out at 85 dB and the cut out is instant. It's very nice to have them in when you are talking to someone on the covered rifle range and a shooter downline touches off a large caliber rifle without warning anyone.

They are not a substitute for hearing aids.

They aren't for everyone due to the cost but they are the best thing I have found other that good ear muffs. Ear muffs are great but they interfere with my stock when shooting.

My 2ยข

Michael Stephenson

14. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

EAR in canal analog version purchased in '02 (I think) and I wear them daily. When shooting I wear muffs over them. Only exception is when it is REALLY hot out and I am sweating alot I take out the EARs and put in std plugs. Sweat & electronics don't make for a long life. I rarely have a problem hearing the scorer (or my squad mates snickers for that matter :).

I really like my EARs but the analogs are coming to the end of their life and I am going to have to replace them someday. I am holding onto my $$$ as long as I can. JME - John in Iowa

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, got my receipt out and found that I purchased ESP-ELITE-ANALOG electronic shooters protection. I paid more than the low price Michael stated. I am learnig to properly install and use them. I am much happier than with the muffs. They have a 30 day money back warranty, no questions asked. I am sorry to find that I bought something being phased out. Will talk to the person who sold them to me about that. With that said I am happy with their performance. Jake

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Larry, You need to do what I do when someone tries to talk to me on the line. I smile and use both hands and point at my ears then I raise the palms of both hands into the air and point my fingers away from my body (in a What gesture). If its real important they will continue and I will remove my plugs and listen to what he says, if its not important the gentleman will tell me later after shooting. If you rotate your plugs as you remove and install they can be removed and replaced faster. If this still does not work for you!!! Try the yellow foam ear plugs that you can find in your local hardware store in a large size box if you like. They are around .50 cents a piece last time I check a few years back now. These will allow abit more sound, but still protect your ears very well. Just keep it simple and shoot. Talk after your done and off the field. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Go to: zeemedical.com Type in ear plugs. They have yellow foamies 200 pair for $40.00 or $0.20 a pair. If that's to many, split a box with your pals.

Surfer

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I've tried the muffs. Interfear with my stock. I have aids. Paid 4000.00 smackers for the pair. Not worth a crap. 28.00 pair of aids for hunting work better the the 4000.00 dollars ones with all the bells and whistles.
    Durring shooting I wear the yellow foam plugs. The father in the ear they go the better they work. I get them for nothing so I change them oftem while I am at the range, Wild Bill

19. crk

crk Member

Well, I have the EAR digitals, top end. They are the mid size models and were programmed for my hearing loss.

Lots of issues.

I think in the first year I owned them they were back at EAR as much as I had them . They were programmed improperly when I first got them, back they went. All four levels were exactly the same level of reduction - NONE. Once returned to me they failed in the next 30 days, back they went. Came back - used for a week, failed again, back they went again.

They burn through the 312 batteries at a pretty quick pace. Like the other shooter said, the beeping when they are running low is a distraction. I put in a new set of batteries every day I use them so I don't have that anymore.

It is also distracting that one will just seem to cut out on the line so one is still on, the other is off and your head feels lopsided. Try to keep your concentration when these things are cutting on and off while on the line.

Great idea, they are just not as good as I would have hoped for the $2600 I spent on them. And they spend a lot of time "working with you" to make them work so that the 30 days or 90 days for your money back time blows by and now you don't qualify for your money back as the time has passed. But they keep telling you that at the end of the warranty you should be sure to send them back for one final check up before the warranty expires. Not like they will last much longer than the two years from my experience.

Frustrating. I would not spend the money on EAR again!

20. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I wear digital hearing aids($6,500/pr). My audiologist told me not to wear them while shooting or working out.They are not water proof and sweat can damage the circuits. I have to put them in a dry out box every night.....SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sharp pops with hearing aids at certian frequncys

trapshooting aids