1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearing Aid Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mollyone, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Looking at getting hearing aids 1st time user, They will be open canal type.

Audio Sync #INT245

Any info greatly appreciated

j park

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

3. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Barrel

I could not hear your post

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

5. shootsatem

shootsatem TS Member

If you're a NRA member you can go online and print a hearing aid benefit card.

Then go to www.sharkey.com to see what is available in the way of aids and the dealer locations. I understand that you can get up to 60% off compared to other dealers and they come with a 2-year warranty. You can also locate a audiologist/dealer near you on the website.

I have recently priced hearing aids at 2 dealers and for a pair of Behind-the-Ear, one dealer wanted $3,000 per pair and another wanted $3,500.

Don't currently need new aids but printed my NRA benefits card and will be visiting one of the Sharkey vendors the next time I'm in the market for new ones.

6. JPM

JPM Member

I've been wearing hearing aids since 1965. I know nothing of the model of aid that you've referenced. But I do know that there are a lot of shysters selling hearing aids. Find a competent and reputable audiologist and follow their advice. Be prepared to spend some serious money. Bargain hearing aids tend not to be bargains at all.

The two major problems that I have seen in others in the application of hearing aids are (1) they buy based on price from a "salesman" rather than from a qualified and trustworthy audiologist, and (2) they give up on the aids too soon because they don't like wearing them.

The US Army and the VA have diagnosed and prescribed my aids with consistent excellece. But that doesn't mean that I like wearing them. I'd predict that you will never "like" wearing them, but doing so will improve the quality of your life as well as the lives of those with whom you interact. Don't give up on them.

And polish up your sense of humor. You'll need it. Welcome to the world of the hearing impaired. It's a real slice of heaven.

John Matthews

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

So far, my experience with hearing aids has been pure crap. Over five grand for a pair of "state of the art" in the canal aids. In the first year, each had to go back to the factory at least three times each.....and again a couple times in the second year. Of course, after the two year warranty ran out, one died and it cost several hundred to repair. Got it back, the other one lost power.

Down side number two is that ability to hear in a crowd or when others are conversing in a room was not improved.

IF, and I say IF, I get more.....I'll research them much more diligently and probably go with behind the ear models. I sure won't pay as much as I could buy a good used K gun for them.

Not a satisfied hearing aid owner. Think I'd rather keep saying, "what"?

8. too fast

too fast TS Member

Try Costco great prices and even better service. Good luck Jim L Luis

9. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Hell I bought a pair of hunting hearing aid that go in the canal at walmart for $28.00. Dam things work better the my fancy fangdangled $4000.00 pair. Supposed to be digital and can tune either ear. adjust the vol with a push of a button. Piece of shit. After checking into various hearring aid companies the aids are made for pennies of what is charged. Actually they are made very, very cheap.

10. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

costco has very good hearing aids at very reasonable prices.

professional audiologists and great warranty program.

got mine there and am satisfied.

dave

11. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

I have been wearing behind the ear aids for about 2 months and needing them for about 5 years. Cost about 4k for the pair. They work really great. Mine are made be Resound. Costco does carry them and they are 2k a pair. If I had to pay for them I would have gone to Costco. They are really small and pretty much invisible.

My wife still talks to me like I'm deaf and it pleases me to say what? now and again when I don't need to. Keeps her on her toes.

I can remember sitting with my mom and dad and her saying to me "look at your father nodding his head yes like he's listening to me." He thinks I don't know he turns the aids off but I make him and turn them back on. And she proceed to do so.

My dad later told me as he chuckled and said "I don't tell her I took the batteries out." Could have been Ralph Cramden and Alice.

Mike Sudz

12. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - you will need to think about how you are going to shoot with your hearing aids -- I have found that my in-the-canal aids work just great with a set of adjustable hearing muffs - just put them over your hearing aids and adjust the muffs so you can hear the score keeper. I do not think behind-the-ear aids can be used this way. the beav

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I need hearing aids in both ears. Don't want to spend the money. I wish people would speak up and stop mumbling though. My wife gets upset that I won't go get them. It comes in handy sometimes when I don't answer her as she thinks I can't hear her. I will go to Walmart and take a look at hunting aids. $4,000.00 is a used Perazzi or a lot of Federal papers. My wife looked over my shoulder and just read what I wrote. She made a comment and I acted like I didn't hear what she said. This does come in handy. Think twice before you get hearing aids.
    Steve Balistreri

14. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Recently bought an Audina Audition Pro open fit aid from Century Hearing Aids in Tucson, and am very satisfied with the improvement in my hearing. Just $499 for a single aid, which equals Costco's $899 aid. Very good loud sound suppression allows me to wear it while shooting (shotguns). Great product and great service, with a true money back guarantee. Give Jon a call @888-295-2944

15. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Game Ear at Cabela's---$200,molded earpiece---$40 and you can wear it shooting....GOOD LUCK

16. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Esteem inplantable hearing device. BS How many can afford 30,000$ per ear. Give me a break. Who would want one in just one ear and go around leanning 30 degrees to one side.

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Not a satisfied hearing aid owner. Think I'd rather keep saying, "what"?"

The problem I am having is there isn't anything to say what to, There are no words anymore just sounds at least with the Aids there are words again!!!!!!

"I am with Savage Stan, I paid $4300.00 eight years ago. for mine and they amplify noise better than speech."

Shootlow did you ever think that is because noise is easier to amplify??? As an example how many times when you are having a conversation do need to where your ear plug???? Yet you need to wear ear plug/muffs to shoot. So what would you suppose is the easiest to amplify????

Bob Lawless

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You just need to learn to smile and nod your head when people talk to you.
    Generally, you'll find you aren't missing much.

19. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

I vote for Costco ,got a new set from them ,,great service ,,,best price ,,,name brand,,,mx8 Dave

20. FREDDY BOY

FREDDY BOY TS Member

Meet a guy who said it cost him $40,000.00 for his hearing aids, I asked him what kind is it & he replied 2:45pm. Guess its not how much you pay as too how good a job they do for you. So try the cheepest ones first & work your way up if need be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.