1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Health Ins

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by thrillr89, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

Having lost my job and insurance I have been denied individual policy coverage by Blue cross and Blue Shield. Diabetic, but do not take any meds. Stricktly diet controlled. I am wondering if any of you guys have had to deal with this and might have a solution to aquiring health ins. I am pretty sure there might be a blood sugar challenged fellow out in the trap world?
    Thanks, Dave

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you were employed and covered for over 18 months (I think), Cobra benefits would then apply. That is where you can continue on you current policy if you pay the cost to your emplyer or their representative. There are some limitations as to the size of the company, etc. Under HIPAA, you may have the right to convert to an individual policy without them being able to deny coverage, but it could be a costly policy, since they may rate it at the highest risk. A lot would depend on what State you live in, how long you were employed and covered, and how many employees your company has.

You might look into an HMO, since some of them are pretty lax on their underwriting.

3. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

If your state has a high risk pool you can apply there. They have to take everyone that has been denied. But of course it isn't cheap. If you are just looking to cover yourself and no spouse or children it shouldn't be too bad. You will need your official letter of denial from blue cross in order to apply in the high risk pool, again that depends on where you live. Contact a licensed health insurance agent in your state for more guidance. That's what I do for a living so if you're in Ky then pm me.

Paul

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Quack shot is right. Left work over 3 years ago, have diabetes went the cobra route for 18 months then converted to my own insurance still having diabetes. Bulge.

5. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

Barrelbulge Thats what I am trying to do now. I have a short time left on my Cobra but I am facing a bit of trouble trying to establish a new individual policy. Part of the hassle seems to be my Company Ins. was in Wisconsin where to Company Corp offices are. I live and worked in Illinois. When I was laid off I was issued a letter of insurability, but it is now more than a year old. I would like to stay out of the super hi-risk pool if possible because of the really high rates.

6. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

ttt once more

7. over/under

over/under Member

But, but, that's not what Hussein Obama said.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

thrillr, PM me I was talking to my wife she took care of the paperwork and we have some questions. Mike.

9. Don S

Don S Member

Based on my own and my wife's health insurance, you will have to go into the expensive high risk pool because of pre-existing conditions. This will change when O'Bama Care stops the insurance companies from denying insurance.

10. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Wrong don, it will force the insurance companies to accept your health risk rather than deny you coverage, but it won't keep them from charging you the high risk rates.

11. Don S

Don S Member

As I understand, effective 1/1/2014 prexisting conditions will not be recognized. In the mean time the insurance companies will set up high risk pools.

12. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Yes, now you are correct. In 2014 they can adjust your rate by age and geographic location and tobacco use. They can not charge you more for being sick. They have no limit on paid benefits, and there is a federal tax penalty if you are not insured.

By 2020 the system will be bankrupt. Thanks big O.

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Thrillr, I started my own business in 2000, and used Cobra, in 2002 my prostate cancer showed up again, we looked all over for ins to cover the radiation, got on with the VA, but they said I would have to go to the hosp in Dallas, and it would take all day for the 5 minute treatment, which isn't bad if I wasn't busy as hell, but on the last day of my Cobra I told my wife to call United Health Care, the people who were out Cobra, they said they had to let me buy ins from them since my Cobra wasn't expired, and for the first year it wasn't bad, at least it paid for radiation and chemo, but after that they knew I couldn't get it anywhere else, and they really laid it to me.

You might try calling who has your Cobra, and it may vary stat to state

Good Luck, as of now I'm on the high risk pool and it is outragous and they won't pay for alot of stuff

14. steverem3200

steverem3200 TS Member

My Blue Cross insurance rate just went up 50% beginning in 2011 in MD. They said it was because Obama health care plan requires them to start selling insurance to people with preexisting conditions beginning 2011. This is just going to be temporary till the whole plan kits in in 2014. Maybe you can get individual insurance beginning 2011. At least that is what I was told here in Maryland. Keep shooting. Steve

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Check and see if BC/BS issues individual plans in your state, if so usually without pre-exsisting. Join an organization such as the Local Chamber of Commerce, Farm Bureau as they usually have group plans for there members. And don't worry about being a farmer or a business man. Each state is different, in MI you would have choices. Try contacting a couple of agents who sell Med. ins in your area and see what they say as they would be able to advise you better than BS.com

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.