1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Health Care Bill & Organ Transplants

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by pyrdek, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One other thing that the recent passing and signing of the Health Care bill that has NOT been noted by media is its effect on organ donation for transplant.

In the past, brain death was the deciding point where organs could be harvested. Congress, by its recent action, has now forced a change in this point of determination of death.

Congress has now proven, by its vote, and beyond the shadow of a doubt, that you can still be alive even though your brain has ceased all processes!

On a much more serious front, there was a medical ethicist, on one of the regional radio stations (WKBN AM 570, Youngstown, OH) talking about organ harvesting. It seems that there is now a movement beginning to consider cardiac death to be the point where death, for organ harvesting, is to be considered to have occurred. She pointed out there are now people who are promoting the concept that harvesting can begin only fifteen to 75 seconds after cardiac death. She also went on to point out that there have been instances of spontaneous resumption of circulation up to a couple minutes after the initial heartbeat stopped.

She pointed out the conflict of interest when organ harvesters are patrolling the Emergency Rooms looking for accident victims, crime victims and heart attack suffers, simply waiting for cardiac death and a team is trying to keep or bring back life to the patient.

With this bill, I would have to suspect that a more rapid harvesting would be looked on favorably as yet one more way to reduce medical spending trying to prolong the life of an accident victim or prolong organ viability until a family member could be contacted.

I have no problems with organ donation AFTER I AM GONE FOR GOOD but I also object to the stealing of my organs if there is a reasonable chance that I might still need them to stay alive!

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

We'll just see how much money is available for organ transplants in 10 years, period.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Buzzy, it will depend on what organs are to be transplanted. Pelosi is in charge, and the Frisco chapter of the "Dykes on Bikes" carries a lot of weight in her district. They will demand unlimited funding for their transgender members to attain their goal.

4. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Wow. Interesting.

The majority of organ donors don't come from the ER, they come from hospital units where Brain Death has been declared. Brain dead donors account for over 80% of the nations donors. The article addresses Donation after Cardiac Death.

Donation after Cardiac Death (DCD) occurs when a family makes a decision to withdraw care (pull the plug) on a terminally ill patient. The Organ Procurement Organization (OPO) has the responsibility to speak with the family and determine the families wishes regarding donation. If and when the family consents, medical testing begins to determine suitability for transplant.

Donors will be transported to the Operating Room with the family. When the family is ready, the patient will be extubated (taking breathing tube out). Once the patient progresses to asystole (cardiac death), the pronouncing physician will wait a MINIMUM of 2 minutes to be certain that the patient doesnt spontaneuosly regain a pulse (heartbeat). The surgical team is not even permitted to enter the operating room until 2 mintues after time of death.

Bottom line, Organ Procurement Organizations DO NOT patrol Emergency Rooms preying on "accident victims, crime victims and heart attack suffers, simply waiting for cardiac death".

Please support organ donation and make sure you're family knows your wishes. There are over 100k people waiting for a life saving transplant, without donation, they will die.

Eric Mirosavich

Center for Organ Recovery and Education;
    Pittsburgh, PA

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have pretty much worn out all of my body parts and when I am gone nobody will be the least bit interested in anything I have. Politicians, on the other hand, have it easy on transplants. A transplant on a politician only requires a Dentist and a Proctologist to do the transplants since there are only two moving part on a politician. I should be obvious what parts are transplanted and on a politician they are interchangable.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Eric Mirosavich,

Does your organization support, believe in, advocate, lobby for, or otherwise work in any way toward bringing about a change in the "2-minute rule" for organ harvesting in DCD situations, now or ever?

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I need an organ, organ transplant. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.