1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

heads up?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have been in a pm discussion about setting up a gun for heads up type shooting. Like most shooters I have on occasion took a peek at the target by lifting up my head a little. This invariably results in shooting high, sometimes missing the bird entirely. Can this be resolved by setting up your gun with a high comb and then adjusting your poi [with an adjustable rib] to suit. I'm thinking that I could also help out with this by lowering an adjustable butt plate. I've seen shooters with their guns set up this way and it looks like a comfortable way to shoot. is there something I'm missing on this setup. Has anyone resolved the head movement problem by doing this? Bill Wheeler

2. open choke

open choke TS Member

I have an add-a-rib and a higher comb for the exact reason you asked. All that was done to keep the same POI that I had was add 3/4 inch to the comb to match the 3/4 inch of the add-a-rib and the POI doesn't change but your head is straighter which helps you not needing as much gun movement and eyes to follow it.

THIS WILL NOT SOLVE HEAD LIFTING; ONLY FOCUS AND CONCENTRATION WILL.

But it does help this and to acquire the target faster.

This may/will be argued by some other shooters but this is what my stock fitter told me

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I went to a high rib and comb several years ago and I could not ever go back nor do I want to. I still lift my head occasionally but I see the target much quicker

4. Derek-C

Derek-C TS Member

I shoot with a PFS and shoot heads up.

I put the comb up so that my eye is about about 1 1/2 inches above the barrel .

With a properly fitting stock that is all I changed .

Did a coaching coarse with John Shima and John didnt change a thing.

Derek

5. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello Fellows,

Trapshooters with the high ribs have turned in some very nice scores, can't
    argue results. However I don't understand this seeing the target faster?
    If you are a one eyed shooter & hold on the roof of the traphouse you see the target right away. If you shoot with two eyes , you can see through the
    barrel. Just curious, help me out with this seeing the target faster.

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I think guys with longer necks can do better with a high rib because they can look at the bird nearer the center of their glasses and possibly clearer view. Having to tilt your head down to get a good cheek weld is not condusive to good shooting and can lead to stock crawling

Bob

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I added a 3/8" rib to my KS-5 and move the comb up the same amount. It felt more comfortable, as I did not have to move the head as far forward. Shot the same as before. Problem was the barrel did not fit in the case without alot of added pressure on the rib. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

john shima heads up