1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

heads up shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BZ-99, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BZ-99

BZ-99 TS Member

Having viewed several threads on this subject, it seems logical that you will be able to see and track the bird better by looking through the center of your lenses and not through the top edge of the lense. Raising the comb (rear sight) will keep the head more erect but will also raise the poi, without an adjustable rib how can you get back to your normal sight picture? Build up the front sight? Bob.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Raise the height of the front sight by placing on top of a small piece of rib. Or you can buy a full length add on rib. HMB

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Well I was taught not to worry about the sight or beads. So long as the beads line up, the space between them is irrelevent. I shoot a K-80 heads-up. High comb, High rib. Big gap between my beads. No problem for me but we're all different. What type of adjustments do you have available? Dave T.

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

High rib + high comb should = heads up shooting. If you just raise the comb you will be shooting to the stars, but some people like it that way.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Olympic shooters, who shoot a much more difficult discipline of trap, do not shoot heads up. What does that tell you?

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It tells me to do what feels and works best for you. Not what all of us jackasses on here think you should do.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"It tells me to do what feels and works best for you. Not what all of us jackasses on here think you should do."</i>

Now THAT is good advice!

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Good advice indeed.

-Gary

9. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Goose has it right. Do what works best!
    JB

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rick: You try to make Bunker Trap sound so difficult and exotic. Typical European/Bunker attitude. Nothing in the shotgun world is more difficult than the 27 yard line. And that's from someone that has shot both. "One has to be young to shoot Bunker." What a bunch of Bulls**t. Along with a lot of other crap you said.

11. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

neck stretchin' high head material...

12. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

BZ99: shooting glasses can have their focal point ground wherever you want it. looking through the middle may not be right for you or your prescription.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. I guess I'll put my worthless .02 cents in.. I've shot them all..and at 1 time or another.. I've owned them all... I've shot with the best.. and the worst in all types of shooting..

First.. Bunker shooting is done all over the world from ages 14??? to 90+ and everything in between.. There is an older man I shoot with in Portacino..probably in his mad 80's.. who maintains almost a 90% average.. Yep.. there is hope for everyone..

In Olympic doubles.. the high rib seems to dominate the winners circle...but.. regular bunker is still won..around the world with the MX-8..o9r similar low or flat rib gun.. Many have tried the higher rib for bunker.. and most tend to go back to a lower rib..

i have made quite a few add on high short ribs for friends around the world..They shoot it in bunker,trench,ATA,and sporting clays..About 30% of them will never go back to a lower rib.. That makes me believe that 1 in 3 shooters will shoot better with a higher rib..and 7 out of 10 will shoot better with a lower rib.. Which one are you???? No need to call names..there is no magic gun.. or rib.. or trigger..BUT there is one that fits your style of shooting better... Nothing more.. and nothing less..

I will say this.. if you shoot a high rib gun..you'll need to put down everything else..To most.. it's a totally different feeling.. You usually start out pretty good.. then scores go down... For some.. they stay down.. for many the scores go back up.. and often to all time highs..

The early high rib guns were often heavy and not balanced as well as todays Perazzi shotguns.. I've shot a MX2005 with 29.5" barrels that weighed 1.51kg from the factory.. No tricks..and it allowed you to get to the target easily..

While it was a bunker gun.. with the fully adjustable rib.. you could have shot any sport with it.. Many MX10's from yester years were 1.74 to 1.82kg..Just to heavy for any unknow target.. Hard to swing...BUT.. if you are 6'4" and 285 pounds.. it would probably feel like a toothpick..

Anyway my friends.. I've said my part..Personally.. try them all.. BUT.. in reality..look at the number of DB81's that dominate the winners circle..or MX2008.. But.. as always.. you could be the 1 in 3 that shoot it well..

Shoot well and often.. All Good.. Mike

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The point that's being missed here is that it's not a matter of head up or head down. The range of motion required in International trap (and sporting clays) make it almost impossible to have an upper body position that is upright. Without the upper body being upright the head can't be upright unless you have a very unique neck and spine.

The relatively few sporting clays shooter that shoot heads up style have a very strong upper body and limit their gun movement by holding their gun closer to the anticipated break point.

International trap shooters are dealing with needing a very wide range of rapid gun movement that can't be anticipated before the shot. With the chest, shoulders,neck,and head leaning forward, it is much easier to swing the gun over the wider range of movement needed. Try it and you'll see for yourself.

15. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Well stated Mike.......................SMOKIT

16. sjlga

sjlga Member

Well stated and truly All Good Mike...Thank you.

Sam

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Someone on the "Where is Neil Winston" thread, just asked "who is Neil Winston." Is he/she serious? Maybe he/she is. Maybe that person really does not know who Neil is. Maybe their joking....I don't know, I don't recognize the handle.

Rick, she is from the same hood. She knows.

BZ99, some years back there was a middle bead conversion ramp made to allow POI changes and retain bead to bead recognition that I believe you are looking for. It simply was a ramp that sat higher on the rib with a mid bead in the center. Its been awhile but I believe either Pat Laib or TOm Larkin made/designed these. You may also want to consider a different style of face placement on the stock which will allow you to down the barrel rather than up into the receiver. This is possible before you dismiss this as I had to work with my wife on the very same matter. There ways to accomplish your desire but it will take someone with knowledge who can work a hands on approach to accomplish your goal.

As for all this heads up and can't do this and have to do that. It is my belief that having shot most of the target venues discussed, FITASC is the most difficult. I also believe that a solid style/complete design of a persons refined basics will allow them to compete in all venues wether heads up, crawler, etc. But I also believe that venues such as Olympic Trap, FITASC, sporting and such that require staying locked in the gun along with total ability to move upper body while staying in control is easier to accomplish via heads down (as being discussed) style where the shooter to can actual totally lock the body into/around the gun. THe biggest problem that I see when using this style with a majority of trapshooters is that simply, many do not have the agility due to many reasons mostly being health that would allow them to use this design. Fortunately with trapshooting and target presentations, any style will work to some degree and its a more mental than style game.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Shot two rounds of Olympic trap today. Using legal 24 gram loads and everything.

16 and a 19. And I was friggin' excited about the 19.

Is it harder than 27 yard ATA singles?

Hard to say.

I'm no 27-yarder, (I'm at 24) but I've run a couple of 27 yard trap rounds (25's) in practice.

I can see it's going to take a lot of work to get even close to running an Olympic trap round.

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

puablo's picture tells the story. A long neck dictates the need for a high rib, not the sport. The only way the guy in the picture can shoot comfortably is with that high rib. No neck guys do not need a high rib. If they use a high rib it's a fad thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bunker trap gun bead sights

heads up shooting

heads up trap shooting style