1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Head's Up - Gun Thieves Getting Organized

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DB Bill, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Head

If you own a gun and therefore go to gun ranges or gun shops, a word of caution: Gang members may be quietly “tagging” your vehicle on site so it can be broken into later.... stick-on dots are common tags.

A friend of GunNews.com sent us this unofficial gun-lovers public-service announcement. He wrote:

“While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows, etc. Later, when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or not under video surveillance, other gang members trolling places where visitors stay and spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab.

“This is rampant in San Antonio, where we were for a National shoot this summer. In fact, the sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Texas.

“Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check your car, truck, or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange-looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.”

This next comment from a GunSite instructor:

“I don’t know how widespread this is becoming, but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch, etc.

“Some tagging crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. About 27 high-end shotguns were taken there recently. Gangs know when 1400 shooters with high $ competition guns are in town.

“BTW, I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.”

2. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Gangs are becoming more organized. Not only are they tagging vehicles but also crusing neighborhoods looking for things like pickups with gun racks, deer stands and the like. They know once they see these there are guns in the house. We had a block of instruction at work on this subject. Good job getting this information about tagging out to our fellow shooters. I appricate your fine work. Hopefully it will help keep someone from losing their guns.

3. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Think about it. If they are that organized, they probably have quotas to fill or if nothing else than to drive the statistics up. They must have big gaps to fill. That's what happens when you live in a "thugocracy".

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If I was in the business of stealing I would be going for the ammunition, as it can't be traced and easy to get rid of without almost any loss in value.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Lets just get identical tags and put them on police cars. Most of those idiots wont notice the difference.

6. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Member

You mean this internet rumor that the NSC/NSSA refuted?

http://www.nssa-nsca.org/index.php/2012/01/nsc-response-to-rumors-about-gun-thefts

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Grizzly has it right. That is a story is very old. Perhaps elements of truth, but try not to be paranoid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.