1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

headlite bulbs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

getting a little long in the tooth and i have trouble seeing while driving at night.will the silver star bulbs help or is it just hype . is there a better bulb out there?I do a lot of driving on country roads and don't want to hit a deer.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Are the lens on you headlights real clear?

After age they get cloudy and that does effect the amount of light they put out

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I put the silverstar in my last pkup. They are much brighter. The only downside is that they burn out much faster. I didn't replace them after they went out.

Rick in MT

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

But you do get friendly gestures from oncoming traffic with them

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Clean the plastic lenses. Makes a world of difference. There are some inexpensive cleaners out there that work fine.

HM

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

Be careful with some of those bulbs. They are brighter because they are hotter, some of them will melt the plastic sockets in your headlight assembly and then you have a real expense.

ctreay

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yes, Silver Star bulbs are brighter and use the same wattage. But like the man above said, they do not last as long. I figure $10 or $20 bucks a year for bulbs is worth the safety. I also keep the headlights polished clear for the best performance.

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The HID headlights are the ones that melt your equipment.

Most vehicles do not come with them and if they did, the headlight assembly would be able to stand the heat. You would have to change the wiring typically to run a HID setup, so I would not worry about that.

Nick

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I put Silverstar bulds in my 2002 Regal's headlamps in 2005 and they're still working. But the foglamps went through them so fast that I went back to OE bulbs after two replacements of both in less than nine months.

Ed

10. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

The Silver Stars are definitely brighter. But, if you're driving a truck and your country roads are like the ones I drive, nothing beats a set of 100 watt(or higher) auxiliary lights aimed high and wide for spotting deer at a safe distance.

Mine run thru a toggle switch,the high beam switch and a relay. With the toggle switch off I have regular high/low beams. When the toggle is switch on, flipping on the high beams also fires the 130w KC's.

11. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

why not add some LED spot or flood lights on the front grill???? Pretty expensive but lots of light..

12. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Different suggestion: I went to get an eye Examine from Dr Laura Winkel( All American ATA & great Eye Doc) and she suggested a Decot Gold 10/15 anti glare lense as a night driving glasses. They changed my night vision issues- just great!

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

the silver stars are great! they produce a white light that is twice as bright and will illuminate twice as far as the lights on your car now. you will immediately notice and appreciate the improvement. i think these are still the brightest you can get without going to off road lights or hid's. you can get them at walmart for 40 bucks. they're safe for your car/wires/lenses. they may burn out a little sooner but who cares. this is about the brightest light, not the longest lasting bulb. a good point was mentioned: if your lenses are at all faded or foggy looking, polish them. they need to be crystal clear. walmart sells a cleaning kit for that too for about 10 bucks. over there with the car wax products. you'll be amazed how easy it is to transform an opaque lens into a perfectly clear lens again. good luck with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.