1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heading to Ottsville..What to do?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

I'm heading to Ottsville in a couple weeks. I've never been there, it's on the way to another spot I'm going to....

Anyone been there? What should I expect? Anything in particular to plan to look at, or persons to talk to?

2. flyfishdave

flyfishdave TS Member

Assuming you are passing through just to check out the scenery of tranquil Bucks County, why not stop by Kreighoff?

There's also New Hope with lots of good restaurants. Lambertville is across the river in NJ but just make sure your guns and ammunition are locked in the trunks of two separate cars traveling at least 3 miles apart.

If you want to shoot some trap, there's Bucks County Fish and Game in Doylestown (Tuesdays, Saturdays, Sundays) as well as Langhorne (Thursday evenings), Falls Township (Monday evening?)

Anything in particular that might interest you aside from from what's been mentioned above?

Dave

3. englishupland

englishupland Member

I will be stopping at Krieghoff.
    I was curious about the various things to do at Krieghoff

I may stay the night in that area..Plenty of places?

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

They have a really nice display room at Krieghoff that you will enjoy.

5. det131

det131 Member

englishupland:

You don't say what days you will be in the area. We are having a Turkey Shoot on 12/19.

New Hampton Inn just about two miles south of us on Rt. 611 (Easton Rd.) in Warrington. Am told it is very nice.

Not sure if I'll be at the club or not when you get there. I'm scheduled every other weekend but am usually there more often than that. Ask for me and introduce yourself. We'll shoot a round together on me. Let me know if you will need something to go bang, I just may have an extra shootin iron or two laying around.

Jim

Bucks County Fish & Game

1745 Turk Rd.

Doylestown, PA 18901

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I went to Ottsville last year for them to adjust the POI on my gun and also install a new recoil pad to lengthen my LOP. Braxton, one of the service managers there, gave me a tour of the place. He showed me where the wood was stacked and the different grades of wood that came in as blanks, led me into the room where the guys were in the process of constructing a stock and forend, took me into the gunsmith area and all the 'smiths (mostly younger German gunsmiths) were working, showed me the donwstairs firing range (just a basement, nothing fancy). I waited in the "gun room" where they had about a dozen or so Krieghoffs shotguns and rifles on display. Braxton did a really good job of explaining how each section of the place worked and answered any questions I had...

I didn't know this but they do also custom bolt action rifles. Last time I was there, they had a bolt rifle on display, built on a Remington 700 action, with some of the most beautiful wood I have seen, topped with a Leupold scope. They wanted somewhere in the neighborhood of $8000 for it so that was a little bit much to pay for a hunting bolt rifle but it still was nice to handle...

have fun there!!!

7. pdq

pdq Member

Given you'll be near Warrington, PA, stop in at Holberts Porsche and buy a new 911. Long time dealership, lots of history as both Al Sr., and Jr. wer etop Porsche drivers.

If you have extra time on your hands, Philadelphia isn't that far away. Once in Philly, take the train and in 90 minutes you can by in NYC or head south and bein DC.

Lots to do in the area.

Pete

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Remember you have to make an appointment- and they do shut down for extended holidays

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Go to LeHigh Valley Sporting Clays course. It's in a old quarry and awsome to shoot. You shoot thru building, over water. All paved. Nice facility. Dave T.

10. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I live about 15 minutes from krieghoff, you can stop by and walk one of my greyhounds.

11. iluv99s

iluv99s TS Member

sent a gun to Krieghtoff this past fall,previously talked to Braxton and Don,excellent people,they did superb work and very timelly. Jim Randall

12. englishupland

englishupland Member

They are remodeling! The drywall dust is awful, so the showroom guns have been put up...I can still tour the workshop however she told me...

any country cabins to stay in rather then the chain hotels?

Pete, I follow the Porsche circuit..When did those guys race? Were they Lemans racers??

13. pdq

pdq Member

Englishupland:

Here's some info on Al from Wikipedia (Not Wikileaks):

"The son of racecar driver Bob Holbert, who also ran a Volkswagen-Porsche dealership in Warrington, PA, near Philadelphia, Holbert worked for Roger Penske while studying at Lehigh University. In 1971, Holbert scored his first race win in a Porsche and would turn professional in 1974. He would score his first of his two IMSA titles in 1976 and 1977 in a Chevrolet Monza. Being a Porsche supporter, Holbert allowed Porsche technicians to inspect his Monza, which would eventually lead to Porsche entering the series with turbocharged cars such as the 934 that led to a Porsche dominance for the following years. During that time Holbert jumping ship to the Stuttgart marque.

From 1976-1979 Holbert raced 19 career races in NASCAR. In those 19 races, in which he drove primarily for James Hylton, Holbert scored 4 top ten finishes.

He also added an IMSA GTP title in a Porsche powered March 83G when Porsche were unable to make their 956 eligible for competition that year. February 27, 1983 he won the Grand Prix of Miami. Holbert finished fourth in the 1984 Indianapolis 500, and led the Porsche IndyCar effort in 1987-1988. He won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1983, 1986, and 1987, the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1986 and 1987 and the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1976 and 1981."

I don't know if it's still there as it's been a few years since I was at the dealership, but they used to have his long tail 962 in a special place on the showroom floor.

Pete

14. det131

det131 Member

Try searching Bed & Breakfast New Hope, PA or Bucks County PA Should be something to your liking there.

Jim

15. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

I am sure if you want to shoot i can talk TrapCrazy into shooting another day, so we would have at least 3, and by then we will both have our new K-80's. Mine is due here Tuesday or Wednesday, I will be in Ottsville Thursday the 16th. But only being 25 mins from there makes it real nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.