1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Headin' to Arizona

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by neofight, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

Headin

With fuel price at their all-time low: ) we decided to make a desert trip before it gets hotter than the hubs of hell. Were taking our 5th wheel, lots of vittles and the dog of course and working our way South on or about the 5th of March. Casa Grande looks like a nice place to start with, then we will see where the wind takes us.

I have loaded up a ton of shotshells and will be looking for some clubs along the way. We enjoy the ancient dwellings, natural wonders, inactive volcanos, unusual rock formations and the usual flora and fauna. Any suggestions you desert shooters can make would be mucho appreciated. We plan on staying 2-3 weeks in that general area.We have done the canyons, Monument Valley, Moab, Mesa Verde and would like to see something different. Any ideas or suggestions??

I can't walk great distances, but don't mind driving a ways if i can find something that holds my interest.

Thanks in advance....John B.

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

If you like baseball, this is a great time to be in the Phoenix area with spring training happening now. Ben Avery Shooting Center is just a few miles north of Phoenix and a great place to shoot.

Robert

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Bottle some of that sunshine and send it north for us in the Northeast if you can ; )

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are so many people here now, the Governor is calling for a "Boycott" for any reason you can come up with ... SB1070 had a bunch of them chirping about staying away but they all changed their minds at the last minute and came here anyway, with the exception of Obama and his group of homies ... There seems to be much more room though with all of the illegals leaving and heading north to other places, and the brown cloud over Phoenix isn't as bad as it has been in the past ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Drop your trailer John and hit the Apache Trail--great day trip. Have a great trip, Bob

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

North of Ben Avery is a western town with the phony gunfight, Arcosanti, and finally Jerome. West of there in Yarnell we found the Shrine of St. Joseph to be amazing.

I recommend the last 3. If you want a nice weekend take the steam train out of Williams to the South Rim and stay overnight at El Tovar. Luxury in the high desert, very nice. Have a travel agent set it up for you.

HM

7. warren

warren Member

I suggest that you go see the Stronghold of Cochise the Apache Chief it's in southeastern Az. and well worth the effort, you can almost see the Indians riding across the prarie.

warren

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

with a guitar in your hand? isn't that a led zepplin song? good luck with it

9. neofight

neofight TS Member

Sounds like my teenage bride and i have a lot to see and do. Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming. I'm soaking it all up.

10. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Heading through Las Vegas on your way South, put a little lead in the air at the new Clark County Shooting Park. You can also stay there with your RV. First class facility.

11. clayshtr

clayshtr Member

Headed to Scottsdale on the 5th of March. Hope to shoot the chain shoot at Ben Avery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.