1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Headed out for Spring Gobbler...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Just got back from working at our Gun club on an awesome evening for shooting. Now I Leaving in 5 minutes to our hunting club in Monroe county PA to hunt Gobblers tomorrow morning. Then tomorrow afternoon, I head up to Wayne county, just above Honesdale to meet up with a gang I hunt Gobblers on Saturday morning. Then do a bit of trout fishing at Upper Woods and home on Sunday.

Nice mini break from work. It used to be an entire week but... kids, work, etc... I am sure you all know the story.

Wish me luck for a nice white head.

Jeff A.

2. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Jeff,

Nothing is better than heading out into the spring woods in pursuit of the wily old tom.

I scored mine two weeks ago.

Best of luck!

Tim

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

19lb. 9 inch beard taken Saturday morning. Wayne County PA.

Great time, great bonding with my father. I am 36 and he is 60 and we have a better time now than ever before calling them in.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Al, our son went out for spring gobbler last Friday morning in Perry County. He had a nice tom strutting in to his call when another younger hunter shot at it but missed. Jason was okay with that when he saw how young the other hunter was and heard him say that Jason's calling was so good that he thought it was a real hen. The male ego responds in strange ways, you know, and the two of them hunted together for several hours.

Our son DID manage to harvest some game, however. On the way home, his Blazer's 4X4 and ABS warning lights came on and his automatic transmision suddenly had first and second gears only. Fearing an expensive repair, he called me but based on his description of the symptoms, I told him it sounded like he lost speed sensor input to the PCM for some reason, which shouldn't be terribly ugly to fix.

He took the truck to a Ford dealership where a friend of his works as a truck technican. "Miller" confirmed there was no speed sensor input and started tracing the wiring to find where on a Chevy the sensor is located when he found a very large and equally unhappy groundhog perched on the crossmember to which the transfer case mounts. The rodent refused to vacate the premises despite being prodded with screwdrivers (l-o-n-g ones!), having the area around him sprayed with aerosol brake parts cleaner and being blasted with compressed air.

So Jason drove his truck home, where I suggested a 22LR in the head as a remedy for his problem. But Jason was unwilling to discharge a handgun in such close proximity to his vehcle (sometimes the kids DO display common sense), so he used a broadhead arrow propelled by hand. I couldn't beleve the critter had hung on for all but 40 miles of driving!

That 'hog had chewed through eight wires in the harness that was his lunch that day. My wife, a former farmer's daughter, says the preventive measure to take is spraying anything you don't want rodents gnawing on with vinegar.

Wasn't THAT a turkey of a hunting trip?

Ed

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Big Al was this video took from your camera

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/videos/kelbey_RP.flv"></embed>

Ok im sure it wasn't but thought some might want to see.

Fog

6. Janet

Janet TS Member

Now that is one dumb turkey or one great decoy! Nothing like roasted wild turkey.

Janet CJ

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My son and I spent Sat. & Sunday shooting at Mason, we got home about 3:30 on Sunday and he grabbed his other shotgun and headed for the woods near his home. He scored on this one about an hour latter. All in all it was a great weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.