1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heade to the Missouri Handicap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, Sep 13, 2013.

1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

never been there, closest I've come is Sparta IL.
    I've presquaded but what are some things I should look out for?
    Found a nice place to stay just a few minutes from the club, any recommendations on places to eat?
    Taking the wife along and plan to spend a few days after the shoot to do a little site-seeing, suggestions ?
    Thanks.

2. Steve R

Steve R Member

There is quite a bit of information about the lake area on the home page of our website. There is plenty to do and see for the entire family before, during and after the shoot. Since we moved the shoot earlier in the year you may be ahead of the fall colors. There is still plenty of scenery in and around the Ozarks. Were glad you can make it and hope you have a great shoot.

Stephen Ricketts

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

JBMI,
    IF you are taking your wife, WATCH OUT, the southwest Ioway clowns ( Maltz) and Denny "the Dude" Spurling will be there. Hide the beer, hide the woman and be on guard they can be a wild bunch. Other than that I hear it is a great shoot. Scott

4. Scott Johnson

5. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Oh Scott. You are being Nice. They only have to hide the beer and their sheep. His wife is safe. lol. Terry

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

This is a great time of year to shop at the big outlet mall for Christmas gifts.There are lots of good places to eat: breakfast at Tonka Hills is filled with shooters, On The Rise or Panera Bread are also good (all on Hwy 54) For supper, there is no end to good places. Everyone you ask will probably have a different answer. Check out the clubhouse, there is lots of area information, or just ask at the office desk.

7. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

On a lighter note. Listen to Karla. she has been there a time or two. You will find that in the surrounding area of the Missouri Fall Handicap that the options are endless. Your wife will let you bring her time and time again. Lots for her and you and the entire family to do. It is absolutely beautiful country no matter what time of the year. It will be the off season and cabin rentals on the lake are very affordable. The people are very friendly and helpful. You will be pleasantly pleased. Also the targets are great. Terry

8. Scott Johnson

Terry that sheep thing is not entirely true, see they are both switch hitters, both Maltz and Denny are accomplished wooers of woman, silver tongued devils, well schooled in the female ways, similar to the likes of say, James Bond. Only thing is with Denny, he is kind of a "one upper" his code name is 008, not 007 and Maltz is 006. And Maltz, well he knows a little magic, while Denny is a strumming away on his guitar and singing Kuum by Ya, ol Maltz will make Whiskey "disappear" No kidding, it just vanishes. Scott

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have tried and liked the following places to eat HOOK & HOOF, THE HAPPY FISHERMAN, and the MEXICAN RESTURANT On the left going into OSAGE BEACH,
    and the Pasta House in Osage Beach, shopping at the very large Outlet Mall that Karla suggested, and great breakfast at TONKA HILLS, which you turn to the left when leaving the club on 54 at bottom of the hill on the left.

These are just a few I frequented, and there are so many more especially buffet style breakfast in Osage Beach.

I don't know if they have the Crappi-Thon going on yet, they used to have a Million Dollar Tagged Crappie for the lucky fisherman.

There is a lot of good fishing on the Lake Of The Ozarks.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Just to update, the Happy Fisherman is closed and Pasta house on the hill by WalMart is now a Mexican restaurant. Lil' Rizzos on the entrance to the outlet stores has good Italian food. Wobbly Boots has real good barbecue an is on old 54.

Take your boots, raingear, sweatshirts, wool socks. Also take tennis shoes, shorts, and short sleeve shirts. You may need some or all of them depending on the weather.

11. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

And all the above apparal on the same day...LOL....Camdenton to the left and lake Ozark to the right have good places to eatas well as most all within 40 miles...the woods are full of them!!....m

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

RLC323 knows of what he speaks

13. T-bone 23

T-bone 23 Member

Hi Scott, you know Denny and Maltzie are more like Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis.They also like told there very Baaaaaaaad boys. But Maltzie doesn't like when Denny gets out his banjo and starts playing the theme song from Deliverance.Because he knows the next thing he is going to hear is squeal like a pig.

14. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

If you want to splurge and go out someplace alittle fancier, go north on Hwy 54 and take the turn that goes toward Bagnel Dam. Before you get to the dam, you will see signs for a toll bridge, just before the turn to the toll bridge there are a couple of very nice restaurants on the lake side. or go to Michael's Swiss Chalet, off Hwy 54, follow the signs, it overlooks the lake (Leo and I have gone there to celebrate our anniversary during State Shoot)

15. zzoom

zzoom Member

Baxters, Potted Steer, Blue Heron, Captain Hooks, the list of great places to eat is endless. Lyndle and his crew do a fantastic job, shoots start on time, some of the best targets you will ever shoot. Weather can vary from hour to hour, bring raingear and sunglasses! Warning: You will want to return next spring for the state shoot!

16. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Ain't seen the professor of BS at Columbia since this spring. It would be good for him to drive down a day and watch me shoot another 100 straight caps. Even have ammo for him, if he desides to shoot with me. Probably would ask for penalty yardage since it's closer than when he quit. Spurling is just one sheep short of being accepted in the community.

Maltz

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

18. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Well, I'll certainly come down for a day or two. Maltzie does well when he knows I'm sitting behind him in a lawn chair to critique his shooting and give advice.

May even bring the banjo. I think frailing "Soldier's Joy" right behind him on the 27 yard line would be...interesting.

Autographs will be half price to all shooters.

19. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I will back up your banjo with a guitar if you don't play too fast and stay in a simple key! Martinpicker

20. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Damn, and here all I wanted to do was shoot some trap, sounds like there's going to be a lot of distraction.