1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Head placement and retention

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JTEA, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTEA

JTEA Member

ON THE MARKET BRIEFLY; I remember a device someone was trying to sell which was, in effect, a football type mouth guard attached to the side of your stock. You heated the mouthpiece and bit into it to take the form of your teeth. It was then attached by a protruding piece to the side of the stock. Every time you mounted the gun you stuck it into you mouth and latched on. YUK! Savor the flavor of broken target dust and gun oil.

JT

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's a major pain to shoot next to someone who continues to wave their gun around after the shot... the guy who thinks "follow through" means swing the barrel three feet past the shot until it points at the guy next to him or the pro who thinks it's cool to keep following high-flying bits of targets with his barrel as they arc toward the next trap.

Just learn to keep your head where it belongs without all the theatrics.

MK

3. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I simply set my gun up so my head is up when the gun is mounted. I can't raise my head because it is already up to start with.

Mark Rounds

4. TrapDoggie

TrapDoggie TS Member

I don't buy the "I can't raise my head" from the high comb boys... Pushing the gun away from your face, or simply decreasing the pressure of your face against the stock will result in the same "Lost" bird as a "normal" stocked gun. I agree that the high comb puts your eyes in a better position and the upright head position is more comfortable, but you can certainly still "raise" you head...

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Velcro stuck to the stock and your face and then you cant raise your head. LOL

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Treble hook and fishin line attached to the bill of your ball cap prevents head raisin too! You'll only make the mistake once?? :) Hap

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I was taught to put redistribute my weight more to my front foot. At least for me, it solved the problem for me many years ago and still works if the problem crops up.

JMHO

Jim C

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

A gun that "fits" and allows a correct, upright shooting form and head posture will go a long way to prevent head-raising during swings. The lower the gun mount and the more the head is tilted forward, the greater the tendency to raise the head during swings.

Rollin

9. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

what do you mean... the lower the gun mount? thanks...

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

This is a low gun mount. See how low it is on his shoulder?

Of course, I'll be the last person to tell Glenn Eller he needs to fix something.

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

This one's even lower. I'm not telling Vincent Hancock he has issues either. Both those guys won Olympic Gold medals. Still, they are the exception not the norm.

12. JTEA

JTEA Member

They are also crawling forward on the stock. If your brow isn't in the way it can work great. If you are taller or your neck is longer than average, you may need more drop in your pad.

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Start tight on the gun, end tight.

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I do tend to follow a chip after the shot, but briefly. I never want to upset the rythem of the squad. Most of the shooters I've told to follow thru tell me that they thought there was some type of time limit each shooter has to shoot and dismount. I said none that I'm aware of. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.