1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

head on the stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dave391, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave391

dave391 TS Member

When I am shooting trap I have a problem of raising my head. I became aware of it when other shooters pointed this out to me. When I miss, It looks to me like I should have hit it. My question is, since I am unaware of myself doing this, can anyone give me pointers on how to avoid it? Thanks for your help. Dave

2. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Super Glue works or you can make a conscious effort to stay in the gun well after the shot.

3. philk

philk Member

A big piece of velcro for me.

4. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

If you ever find out, PLEASE publish it here!!

Jere

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Dave,

There are a number of possible cause for raising your head during swings:

Most involve an unnatural head and neck position following your gun mount. A low mount will do it as will a stock that has too little drop at the heel (the recoil pad is not far enough below the level of the rib to allow you to mount your gun with an upright posture).

A comb height (relative to the height of the rib) can also do it. If the comb is too low, there is too little cheek pressure on it and it is easier to raise the head during swings.

A comb that is too high requires too much cheek pressure on the comb, which causes a little cheek slap. To avoid it, the head is raised during swings. The cheek slap is usually due to a gun that doesn't fit you or the use of a shooting form that is flawed - anything that puts your head and neck in an unnatural position.

It may just be an unfortunate habit. The head is raised to see targets better during their flight or you are too eager to see the result of your shots. This is most common on easy targets.

There area a number of tricks that can be tried to eliminate head-raising (a $20 bill between the cheek and the comb that is lost to someone else if you raise your head, is one). Things like this are good if your head-raising is only a bad habit you picked up trying to see targets break more easily.

Rollin

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

ANY QUESTIONS?

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A #4 Mustad and some fishin string would prevent this too? :)

Not seeing the target intently enough is probably one of the causes, wanting to see the relationship better.

Hap

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Two basic reasons, one is to avoid pain, and the other is to see what is happening. Both are related to poor stock fit. HMB

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yes. As you shoot the target consciously keep the gun bbl exactly into the chips or cloud of target dust. dont' be moving the gun off that impact for several seconds. Train yourself to "keep it in the chips" and your head will stay on the gun.

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Sometimes it is caused by subconsciously knowing that the gun is going to recoil (perhaps uncomfortably) to your face. Porting helps and perhaps a change of powder such as switching from Red Dot (faster powder) to the slower Green Dot. Gun fit extremely important when it comes to felt recoil. This is only another take on the issue not inclusive of other possibilities. Darrell

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Hmb is right. Higher impacting guns can help if you can learn how to shoot them. Gunfit is important!

I would suggest that while practicing you slip in a snap cap from time to time.
    With out recoil the head raising becomes much more obvious and when you are aware of what you are doing it becomes easier to correct.

12. jhoward

jhoward Member

Get a football mouthguard, the kind with the strap to attach it to a helmet's facemask. Follow the instructions to fit it to your mouth. Put the mouthpiece in and mount the gun, have someone tape the part of the guard that is hanging out of your mouth to your stock.

13. Hap MecTweaks

jhoward, attach that strap to my mono string with the Mustad and secure below the belt and it's sure to work! You might raise your head, but you'd only do it one time? :) Hap

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Hap, I think I wet myself on that one.

15. dave391

dave391 TS Member

Thanks to all that responded to my post. I'm shooting a field grade gun that shoots pretty flat. I think I am probably raising my head to see the target break. I appreciate the humor and the tips. Dave

16. jhoward

jhoward Member

Hmm...in that case, try adding a few layers of moleskin to the comb of the stock.

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Sometimes it is caused by subconsciously knowing that the gun is going to recoil (perhaps uncomfortably) to your face. Porting helps and perhaps a change of powder such as switching from Red Dot (faster powder) to the slower Green Dot. Gun fit extremely important when it comes to felt recoil. This is only another take on the issue not inclusive of other possibilities. Darrell

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Hmb is right. Higher impacting guns can help if you can learn how to shoot them. Gunfit is important!

I would suggest that while practicing you slip in a snap cap from time to time.
    With out recoil the head raising becomes much more obvious and when you are aware of what you are doing it becomes easier to correct.

19. jhoward

jhoward Member

Get a football mouthguard, the kind with the strap to attach it to a helmet's facemask. Follow the instructions to fit it to your mouth. Put the mouthpiece in and mount the gun, have someone tape the part of the guard that is hanging out of your mouth to your stock.

20. Hap MecTweaks

jhoward, attach that strap to my mono string with the Mustad and secure below the belt and it's sure to work! You might raise your head, but you'd only do it one time? :) Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.