1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Head On Collision

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skip, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

Which collision would you rather be in (if you had to)

Example One:
    Two identical vehicles traveling at the same speed say 50 MPH approaching each other on a road and collide head on with each other.

Or

Example Two:
    Another vehicle of the same identical type and size drives head on straight into a rock wall at the same speed of 50 MPH.

Which collision is more severe?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

In example 1, you have a combined speed of 100mph, in example 2, just 50mph. I'll ride shotgun on example 2.

Ok, another hyothetical question: If you are standing in small building that's perched on the top of a cliff (like an ice shanty or something similar) and it falls off of the cliff, if you step out of it at the instant it hits the ground, will the shanty break into a million pieces, but you be unscathed? I've seen this in cartoons, but always wondered if it could happen.

3. avery53

avery53 Member

Both would have the same outcome,meaning both would be 50 MPH crashes.

avery

4. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

Avery53 is correct. The speeds are not additive, the crash would be about the same. The reason for this is the resulting force is not about approaching speed but about the deceleration. When a car hits a wall its speed goes from 60mph to 0mph. When a car hits another car head on, both cars come to a full stop in the same way -- each car goes from 60mph to 0mph -- resulting in the same force.

However, I would rather hit the car than a rock wall because the rock wall will be substantially more rigid. Meaning, at least the car will provide a little give.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tron,

Too many Road Runner cartoons.
    [​IMG]

6. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

WTF? I guess we have nothing better to do but ask stupid questions? And answer stupid posts? LOL

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

What grade are you in this year Tron? Shouldn't let you watch cartoons in class.

8. skip

skip Member

Big, thinks he's bad bob is mad cuz he got the answer wrong
    Most guy's on this site wouldn't use the acronym little bad bob used

Avery53 is correct, both collisions would be the same.

Google "Head-on collision math"

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Yep, the same, but I would rather hit the car, just because of the absorbtion and deflection of energy, from the other vehicle. It would still be a bad idea, or decision to have to make. We are now in the full grip of winter. Can you tell?

10. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Ok, here's one.......somebody told me recently that if you shoot a bullet into the air, that when it starts to descend, it descends at the same speed that is ascends. Is that true? That doesn't seem right to me but physics wasn't an area of study.......seems that during it's ascent that the bullet has an accellerent (gun powder) and so the speeds wouldn't match.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This doesn't make any sense what so ever. Both vehicles ARE MOVING and have a combined speed of 100mph! You're trying to make me make a decision to a loaded question, kind of like "What would you rather have on your head, an angry Monkey or an angry Hawk?"....but, the answer is obvious.

So, Google never posted any misinformation??

12. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

found this. GaryL.

13. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

GoDawgs, the bullet would not fall at the same speed. It would reach what is called terminal velocity. Terminal velocity when the downward force of gravity equals the upward force of drag (Air resistance), making its acceleration equal to zero. The terminal velocity just depends on the amount of air resistance, but it will not be even close to the speed on the way up.

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

which would you rather have fall on you: a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

15. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I'd be tickled if it was feathers. I'll bet that goes over like a ton of bricks.GaryL.

16. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

They are not opinions, they are the laws of physics.

17. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

skip:

Nearly 20 years ago, I faced that decision. The difference was an earthen bank instead of a rock wall.

The collision took place in front of a cemetary. The other driver is buried there.

The only correct answer is do anything you can to avoid the collision. Otherwise, luck pretty much determines who, if anyone, survives.

sissy

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If it takes a chicken and half to lay a egg and half in a day and half - how does it take a rooster.

Don

19. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Interesting thread (other than the lack of grade school physics knowledge) and I saw a recreation of the 50mph head-on recently on you-tube (I think). One of the Mythbusters type shows staged it to show the difference in newer vs older cars - dispel the "they don't build 'em like they used to" 2002 Cadillac Deville head on into a 1962 DeVille at 50mph - The driver, if buckled up right might have even walked away from the 2002 - lots of energy absorption - didn't even break the windshield - if you were behind the wheel of the '62, you were dead.

20. porky

porky TS Member

Don, "how does it take a rooster" what??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what happen when trap on a head on collision