1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Head coming off stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MW58, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MW58

MW58 Member

Does anybody know a sure fire way to teach a student to keep his head on the stock? I tell him to keep his head down, but after a few rounds I see him starting to "come off the gun". He says he's not doing it consciously. When I stand behind him, he says in the gun, but after I walk away, he'll start to lift his head??? Any Ideas?

2. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Have you ever heard of the "fishhook method"??. It works in golf.

(Sorry, don't mean to be a smart aleck) Heh heh...

Larry

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

have you pointed the gun back towards his pupil--is he really able to see over the receiver and down the barrel--a high % of young shooters CANT!! so they jerk up and or pull away from recoil---to check that, look at his gun and turn away and unload it--without him knowing - then let him dry fire and see if he still pulls up

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Does the gun fit him, sounds like the stock is too low.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Larry I used duct tape on my daughters head..... HAHAHAHA but seriously i like what Gary said..

Wesley

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

You really need to go back and fully analyze his shooting and at one point this started. But most likely the gun didn't fit and probably still doesn't and regular trap loads were used coupled with that fact.

Now you have to get him perfectly setup with a gun/load combo that gives him no pain and virtually no sensation whatsoever. Everything is really critical (imo) at this point if he's going to continue. I would also make sure thats its not hearing related. You could try to get him to where a pair of muffs and see if this helps.

When he's shooting, instill within him to stay in the gun after firing and pick out a broken piece and follow it to the ground. If a miss then the whole target. I would also have him do a nightly dry fire routine.

7. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I agree with PM, teach him to stay in the shot just like he had to shoot it twice. Maybe make him count to 2 after shooting before lowering his gun? But regardless of how you deal with it, just keep telling him to work on it. It may be like nagging your kid to stop playing with their food. It is a self-correcting problem. How many adults do you see playing with their food? But now I'm rambling...
    dju

8. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Try to get him to strech out his call for the bird.Make it streach it out till he pulls the triger.

9. dalog

dalog Member

pheasantmaster has it, there is a gunfit issue here.

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Most of the time the head lifts because they are tired of getting there Cheek slapped. When it hurts subconsciously the mind try's to fix it. The gun fit is the issue.

11. MR870

MR870 Member

Gun fit and lighter shells.

12. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Have your student come to the next shooting session with at least $10 worth of single dollar bills.
    As he/she takes their first position, and mounts the gun, you place one of the bills between their cheek and the comb.
    When the bill drops... its YOURS.

You will see how quickly the student caches on.
    Only works if it is the student's money.

Art

13. romie

romie Active Member

I think there was a time when I was holding my head down and the gun was really pounding my cheek.now I hold a more of an errect head and it is not an issue.
    Monty

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I don't believe there is a solution to head lifting. However, having that problem since I started shooting 38 years ago, the only cure I've found is to concentrate on follow through. if you keep your cheek on the gun and follow through as long as you can (stay in the gun), the problem will solve itself (sometimes). If you get lazy it will come back, over and over again.

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You don't mention anything about your students size ie male-female--tall-short--slender-well fed (grin)--athletic abilities-etc. as per PM & others check the stock height comb may be to low????? mole skin build-up???? also if skinny & lanky stock "may" be short that's a good way to get hit in the nose and boy that will make you lift your head. (don't ask how I discovered this) Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to stop picking head off gun in trap

picking head off stock in trap shooting