1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

He spends $25,000 a year shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

According to Trapshooting U.S.A Magazine Big Dog shooter Tank Lunsford spends $25,000 a year on travel to shoots and that doesn't include entry fees and purse fees. Probably another $8000 or so. He travels 25 weeks a year to shoot. That's a lot of time and money to be spending on an Amateur sport.

2. smsnyder

I believe he has a roofing business.

3. neofight

neofight TS Member

You know, of course, that you cannot possibly measure the pleasure of your passion in dollars. He does have the option of having inscribed on his tombstone: "I gave up shooting and look at all the money i saved".

I get the same comments for my passion for fishing. People will say:" you can buy fish in the market for a lot less than what it must cost you to run a boat, buy bait, fuel, etc".

it applies to everything we do in our leisure time. I used to be critical of golfers, after all, what do they have at the end of the day, right? They go home with a feeling of completion, all is right with the world, unless of course they shot 9 over par and left their 7 iron wrapped around someone's neck.

I sometimes marvel at the $ wasted on really exotic cars, but if i had the $, my marvelling would probably be diminished. I don't wonder why some guys shoot a P or K gun. After all, their scores are not any better than mine. They do it because they can and that's okay.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Well I'll see the tank and raise you one, there is a Jersey shooter that shoots 100,000 + handicap pratice targets a year. Has been doing it for many years.

5. smsnyder

I figure it cost about $1500 to $1800 a week to travel,motel, rental car, shells, entry fees etc to shoot at the major shoots.

6. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

Does anyone know of a better use for money than spending it?

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I watched a guy in vegas lose $180K playing blackjack, when he got up from the table he smiled and tipped the dealer $2,500.

8. rivers

rivers Member

Spend it while you can enjoy it!

Ray

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Regardless how much someone shoots or spends, enjoyment is priceless.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have not kept track. There are some figures i don't want the wife to stumble upon. :)

11. Landshark

Landshark Member

I have a shooting budget and I spend every bit of it on it's intended purpose. :)

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

God Bless him that he's successful enough to afford to spend that level of discretionary dollars. I would like a peek at his 1040 to see if there's a schedule C in there!

Shooting for pure recreation, my 90Ts are probably considered by some an extravagance, but the intrinsic pleasure I derive from handling a quality, US made firearm adds to my enjoyment of the sport...

Work hard, live well, get my grandkids to into college (note, I didn't say pay for college...) and die near broke...

Hope you all had a Good Passover and Happy Easter,

Jay

13. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

WELL CRAP--IT'S ONLY MONEY--IF YOU GOT IT --ENJOY IT....SMOKIT

14. 3357

3357 Member

I figure it costs me $1 a registered target.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I guess he made it so he can spend any damn way he pleases and it's none of your concern. Knowing your prior posts you will want to know every detail of earnings and expenses. What BS.

Don

16. smsnyder

Bigdon, nice to see your so pleasant and smiling. Don't find my post interesting? Don't read them. By the way I could care less about peoples winnings. They deserve it. LOL

17. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

$25K...that's a lot but isn't there a benefactor and his wife who gave away $150K in prize money for the last grand and are giving more this year?? Trapshooting is full of "high rollers"! Obama just wants them - and all of us - to "give a little more in taxes"... Regards, Ed

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Used to cost me around $18,000? year to put #1 son on the All-American team in the early 90's. So what's the problem!!

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

LIke it is anyone elses business! Think you should worry more about how to increase the mileage on your jeep. Tank obviously is not worried about mileage. LOL

20. smsnyder

Touchy, Touchy. Who said there was a problem? If this wasn't good info it would not have been published in Trapshooting USA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.