1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*He shot the kid setting the targets!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Several years ago, I was shooting at a small club in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't the end of the world but you could see it from there. It had two trap houses. A little ways in front and to the left of trap one, a rear view mirror was stuck in the ground. I suppose it was there so the setter could see when the squad was ready. But, when a shooter was on post one he could not help but glance at the mirror and make eye contact with the kid in the house.

That didn't seem to bother our squad until "Crazy Allen" got to post one and saw the kid staring a him. He muttered something like, "Well, I'm not putting up with the sh**" and shot the kid right between the eyes. In other words, blew the mirror into pieces. Old "Crazy" let out a weird cackle and claimed his release trigger mal-functioned. Yeah, right.

Booger

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

If there were witnesses that man should have been jailed and banned from that club. How many other so called shooters allowed this to take place and do nothing about it. And yes, it could have been the end of the world for someone's life and the club.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had the real deal almost happen to me once. Back in the early 1990s, several us had made our usual pilgrimage south to the old Pinehurst Gun Club in Southern Pines, N.C. for their annual Dogwood Open for four days in April. That particular year, they had enlisted the help of kids from a nearby home for delinquents for scoring and trap loading. The pulling was not the best and targets were placed on the trap arm in whatever way the kid felt like doing so. It was different to say the least.

Along about Saturday, I was on post five, had my release trigger set and was just about to call for a target when the kid bolted from the right side of the trap house holding her arm and walked back toward us right in line with my gun's muzzle! I was able to quickly lower the gun and unset the release but a few seconds later, when the reality of what almost happened set in, my knees were knocking and my mouth went dry. Somehow, the throwing arm had hit her arm; it wasn't the first time and she had all the abuse she was going to take and told us all about that on her way past the firing line, oblivious to what
    she had done and what could have happened.

Ed

4. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

deercreek does not read well

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

deercreek reads just fine he just don,t understand crap .

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Average Ed, that happened to me twice at the KTA in Kansas.

No flag on the house. Squad ready? Yes. Puller ready? Yes. Let's see one. Good. OK, mount gun, set release trigger...start to call for the bird and a kid pops out from the trap house. I couldn't shoot worth crap after that, because I was so scared. First time, we told the lady that was the trap help coordinator. The second time, we told the president of the KTA.

I hope that something was changed and the kids are using flags or something now.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Today, with everyone used to shooting off auto traps, it's almost impossible to load manual traps without getting fingers snapped!! Guess we're living in a hurry up time and have to have instant everything it seems. This last weekend I watched a shooter calling way before the timer allowed the trap to be reset to throw another target which id pretty darned quick! The disgusting look on his face was priceless and he missed a lot of targets. Hap

8. traploader

traploader Member

They could try using this...

For less than $2000 small clubs can convert their handset traps to automatic. Holds 270 targets good for a squad to shoot two rounds before refilling.

Call Ian @ Western Retro Products or visit us online at www.westernretro.net

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Remember the well known trapshooter who was suspended for firing a round next to the traphouse because he was P.O.ed at the kid in the house?

10. Juno

Juno TS Member

I remember setting targets when I was a kid and having the puller double pull. That steel arm would swing around and CRACK you in the hand! Hurt like hell!

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Does anyone know of an occasion when any discharging gun has injured trap help? I know of guns blowing up and injuring people on the firing line but not to people operating the trap equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.