Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDCP Safety

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  maclellan1911 
#1 ·
Consider this a request for discussion regarding yardage separation when shooting HDCP.
The other day at our local club I was shooting HDCP with another member. I shoot from 20 and he from 23; we began shooting from post 1 and 3.
After shooting our first post another member approached the field and wanted to join us. He shoots from 27. The 27 yarder said that as long as he shoots from post 5 and me from post 1 it will be ok.
Well……this doesn’t work within the rule of 3 yard max separation in a squad then 2 between posts and, it would not work with two other shooters on the line and, would not work when we changed stations. I indicated that I was not comfortable with this and he backed off.
After we completed our box of shells and went back to relax the 27 yarder insisted that I don’t understand and that “we” have been doing this for years. It doesn’t seem that I would want to negotiate away my safety for some else’s convenience.
Do trap clubs typically waive the ATA rule when shooting practice? If so what rules do they follow?

#4 ·
To be honest it bothers me a twinge when someone is two yards in front of me on an adjacent side when I swing their way for a hard angle. More than that on any position of a trap is crazy. Wouldn't do it in a quail field, so why do it on a trap.

With firearms it's always wise to err on the side of safety.

Guy Babin

#6 ·
NEVER!!! And it does not matter that this was a practice the 27yard shooter was asking you to put yourself in danger so they would not have to wait their turn. You did the right thing and you should be talking to your clubs Range Safety Officer about the "we always do it". If the RSO says yes then RUN don't walk to another club before the "accident" happens.

--- Chip King ---

#7 ·
I can't help but doubt that the guy in question is really a 27 yard shooter. It's hard for me to believe that anyone who's put in the targets, time and energy to make it to the back fence doesn't have the common sense to understand the safety issues involved. Sounds like a new shooter who just wanted to try the 27, or an idiot, or both.

Bob

#8 ·
I agree with Mr King and Mr Bob ... there aint no way this rube was a serious 27yd shooter cause no 27yd shooter would ever do that and you not only should have went and found a the club safety officer but you need to bring it to your clubs board of directors and ask them about the safety issues they allow to happen ... unless of course they say this guy was an idiot ... which he was and you did the right thing making him wait his turn.

When he did get his turn how did he do? What did the chickyhoohoo girl look like he was with and trying to impress with his ... well ... ya did the right thing.

#9 ·
Mr King ... I think there may be many people on TS.com who might disagree with you on the never part of it all. Now say it was I on the 20yd line and one of those many others were on the 27 on each side of me ... well ... they all would be arguing that it would be ok and that I should have nothing to worry about because the new ambulance driver is much faster than the last one.

#12 ·
Well Economan, I'll just have to stand by my original statement, "new shooter who just wanted to try the 27, or an idiot, or both." You say he's not a new shooter, therefore he can't be both. The only thing left is idiot.

Not only wouldn't I shoot with him, this is one of those rare occasions where I'd report him to the club officers. That kind of behavior is grossly unsafe and sometime down the road he'll convince some truly new shooter that it's OK to stand 7 yards in front of him. The risk of injury is just too high. I've seen veterans shoot cables and traphouses - I wouldn't stand that far in front of anyone, including me.

Bob

#13 ·
I dont like having shooters behind me period. I shot Caps Sunday and for the first time I was behind everyone. I shoot lefty, the gent to the left was a fidgety guy. I have been working on my focus a lot. BUT I did not really think of this situation. I was shooting 22 they where 20. god I could see what everyone was doing. arrrgghhh. going to have to work on focus. The guys on the line where not moving a hell of a lot. Being the first time behind everyone though I picked up every little move. kinda sucked. scores reflected it also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.