1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hdcp Problem -- Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Harv Shell, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

HC Jr said, in handicap, slow down slow down slow down, look at the target.

2. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Try setting the O/U barrels to your current setting and shoot them for singles. Then lower the impact on the single barrel for handicap. O/U's are great for singles.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
    Matt Ski

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

prairiedog- You are a good shooter, you have some experience and you have taken a class under Harlan C. All good shooters, well, all shooters, run into slumps now and then. When I hit a slump, I first try to change many things. I ask advice from many seeking both tips that might help and sympathy. I struggle and often make things worse. I start turning lost of screws on my Precision Fit Stock, I change my stance and my mental attitude goes through much pain. Then after really messing things up, I go back to the basics. I find that if I stay into the gun and see the target, the slump goes away. I just wish I would go back to the basics before I try so many other things. You can help yourself more than any of us can help you. Start by going to a registered shoot this Sunday and working hard.

Pat Ireland

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Prairiedog, I agree with everything Pat's given you but one. Sometimes you get to the point of "trying too hard". You get to the point that you can't find the forest for all the tree's in the way. Sometimes a break helps. I have found in the past that a week or two away from the gun may be the best thing for you. Some competitive golf, some fishing,always a good time on the water. You seem to come back at shooting with a more relaxed attitude, clearer mind, more enjoyment with less work at it. Best of luck to you, it can be a lifetime addiction, but worth the pleasure and the good people you meet. Bob

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Prairiedog,
    I am having the exact problem you describe - with similar results. I am also shooting a TS two eyed. Singles average in the high 90's and horrible HC scores. Stuck on the 25 and shooting in the mid 80's.

I am looking for the target at the same spot as I do for singles but with a lower hold point. In fact, I may be looking even higher than I do in singles for some stupid reason I cannot fathom. (anxiety???)

A large part of our problem could be lack of confidence. We expect to smoke every singles bird and we pray to hit any HC target.

What I have decided to do is practice from post 3 and resolve the issue of hold/focus points. This will take a lot of targets as one "good" score tells us nothing. Once I have convinced my little pea brain what the difference is between singles and HC from post three, I will have a starting point to use for establishing these points on the other posts. This should also provide the "confidence builder" and reinforcement needed as more and more targets are ground up.

There may be no universal solution as we all see and react differently.

Don Verna

6. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Slow down, relax......From your favorite start position over the house, stop all gun movement, stop all eye movement, look for the target and call. See the target and its angle before moving to it. Should stop your out of control jump and encourage proper timing. Start from a dead stop.

Maltzie

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

One other piece of advise. Give Harlan, or Phil Kiner a call...

Jim C

Hell, Michigan

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you are pounding the singles well enough to carry the AA average then I'll go out on a limb and guess that your problems on the 24 are software related not hardware.

How about this, instead of practicing singles, practice from the 20 yard line. Then follow that up with a round from the 24 yard line. Don't get too wound up in the details and don't make a bunch of changes just because you moved back a few yards. It is very easy to fill your mind with a lot of factoids that distract from what needs to be focused on (the target).

I would also recommend a two day session with Phil Kiner. It is a drop in the bucket compared to what you have tied up in the hardware but you will like the results.

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Prariedog, , hang in there! your comfort zone with the singles at 100-110% is fine, it's just you have to shoot a higher impact at handicap. Your single barrel is now at that figure, add a 1/16 spacer and as your breaks get better, give it another 1/16, remember a 100% or 1 5inch gun is neutral, it's not high shooting at all. your doubles should be set as your 16's many accomplished shooters shoot a 22 to 24inch gun for all ATA targets. Keep your focus out to around 20 yds. out, don't get too far visually away from your rib, which is gun too low, visual focus too high, you will lose connection with the gun and the target. Wait until the clay gets above your rib, then see it clear, then make your move to it, you will be pleasantly surprised! incinerate em!

10. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have been having problems with caps for the past 10 years, it seems I have the same problem as you do. The gun shoots 16 to 18 in. high from the 25 yard line. Tryed everything in the book for the last few years. This past month I went to the hobby store and got a 3/8" x 1/2" piece of bulsa wood. This fits the rib perfectly, I did cut the back at 45 degrees. Painted it black and taped it to the rib of the K80. I left the comb in the same place as I do for singles, wala I crushed 24 of 25. This has been working for me now for the past few weeks. You might want to give it a try. PS .. I even left the beads off and it worked great. Bernie

11. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

The only thing I change (other than the Choke)when going from singles to HD is my move. It is slow and short. My advice to you, stop thinking so much take a deep breath and slow down. All my guns shoot 60/40 @ 35yds on paper, trap, bunker,live birds ect...but thats what works for me. Good Luck........

Aaron Holguin

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

prairiedog- I have no idea if you are shooting over or under or to the side of your handicap birds. If your gun is set up to shoot singles well, it would be unusual to shoot over handicap targets. Most shooters need a higher POI for handicap than singles, but you may be different. I do suspect that changing your POI a little will not have a major effect on your handicap scores.

Before changing anything, try holding a little lower gun, shoot faster with more aggression and try to shoot a little over the bird. Then slow down and try to shoot a bit under the bird. This should tell you something. When I have trouble with handicap, I usually first try to shoot more carefully and pay close attention to the bird/bead relationship-- that is a big mistake.

Pat Ireland

13. bigben

bigben Active Member

Prairiedog, next time you are shooting practice, have a friend on the button, if voice activated he can still turn it off and on. Shoot a few targets then have him at random NOT give you targets, many times your eyes will move and the gun moves with no target thrown it will also serve to illustrate why many shooters[even seasoned], think they can shoot a lower impacting gun when all along they are moving the gun 6 iinches to a foot up on the calli, then they see I'm shooting over targets, then on some by some grace of God they hold steady with killer eyes and shoot under the target thus confusing them more! When you shoot your K-80 next time, set it up then for handicap by a quyiet eye and gun, your shooting will certainly improve, incinerate em!

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Prairiedog, I appreciate and fully agree with your comment. I was talking more the mental aspect than physical. You hit the same type of slump or roadblock in golf. A few years ago a friend while we were playing and a couple of us struggling, made the comment that every Country Club should have a boat available to the membership. Then one Saturday morning as the guys are going out, someone remarks "Where's Prairiedog and Bob??" The answer would be that "this is their week-end with the boat, they're out fishing having a good time". There's a lot of truth to that. There's times when you've been involved in something for a couple of weeks and not been able to even touch a gun. Then you show up at the club and shoot better and smoother than when you left. A clear fresh mind and start can sometimes do wonders. Good luck and above all else, enjoy. Bob

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not everyone can handle a 110% high impact at handicap. The simplest solution is to lower that impact around one line and see if your break quality improves. You might also lower your hold point and see if that helps. Been there-done that!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.