1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hdcp Load- Green Dot vs Titegroup?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I'm shooting Clays now and have moved to 25yd: i would like to try a little tighter and faster load this year(shoot 1/18 loads).The most important factor is felt recoil. I would appreciate your opinions on Green dot/ titegroup and any others you like for handicap. Thanks

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Buy a new box of Nitro 27's.

If you like them go buy a jug of titegroup.

Hodgdon has the load. Be carful with the dense powder.

HM

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Try Clays International [close to Green Dot] for tight center group patterns at yardage. You can down size the load to 20.0 grains International, AA or Remington hull, Blue Duster or Spolar Gold wad, AA primer, 1 1/8 oz. of 7.5's = 1,250 ft./sec. on my chronograph. Fred

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Green Dot is the best. HMB

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Fred's (fssberson) load involving International Clays is an excellent one...I use about 19 instead of 20 grs....Intl Clays is very consistent and clean. Best Regards, Ed

6. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

blackfoot - I too used clays for handicap at one time - and am now on the 25. I have used International @ appx 19.3 grains in AA and STS hulls with WW 209 primer with 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's - worked well. However, I have found that my #32 MEC bushing throws about 18.7 grains of GreenDot. I now use this with AA hulls and win209 primers with 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's and it smokes targets (when I do my part) and seems to hit my shoulder less than the international load. GreenDot may be a little dirtier than International, but not significantly so. The same loads works well in STS hulls too.GreenDot is now my handicap powder. I am not a big-dog, nor do I burn up the score sheets, but I feel you do not need the slobber-knocker loads to break good scores at handicap

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I like Titegroup.

Opinions may vary.

Try both.

The one thing I've notice that makes a difference (if only in my head) is to use good, hard shot like Remington.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Being on the 25 and practicing on the 27, I have found Unique gives good speed, crushing breaks, and mild recoil. It is a bulky powder, and one cannot double charge it with the suggested components. Using a #38 Mec bushing means one will not overcharge!

I have tried most powders, and like the 8500 PSI the slower powder generates in a 1250 fps load. My best performing load is in a GM hull with the Fed 209A primer. I also use Rio primers in Rio hulls with a slight powder bump, to a #38A bushing.

Check out Alliant data.

9. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Fellas, thanks for all your help! I think I'm not going to reinvent the wheel and will try Green Dot this winter and see if i can find something that will take me to the promise land! Best Regards

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like Green Dot.

Pat Ireland

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I like Green Dot more than Pat does...

12. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

Martin and Pat:

I think those of us who are trying to develop a good handicap load using Green Dot would appreciate learning about your pet loads. Can you both share that with us?

Also, seems like I've heard that Green Dot has some issues when used during our midwest winters. Have you found this to be true?

Thanks to both...

13. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I too like green dot - however, I believe I like 20.5 gr. REX II just as well. the beav

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

To the promised land?? KEEP YOUR DOWN ON THE GUN! Fred

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Old Fowler - I have never given a specific load on this site. It is too easy to make a typo error that could be dangerous. Just look in the Alliant reloading manual (available on line). For handicap, I load Winchester wads and primers in AA hulls with 1 1/8 shot. I seek a velocity for 1200 to no more than 1230 ft/sec. I use Green Dot. A quick look at the Alliant manual will tell you how much Green Dot I use.

I like my handicap reload better than new Winchester Super Handicap shells. I cannot explain why I shoot a lot of new Winchester handicap shells. This makes no sense to me, but I have done other things that make no sense to me.

And, I like Green Dot more than Martin does.

Pat Ireland

16. deking00

deking00 Member

I also like Green Dot more than Pat, but I like paper better than plastic. I always use the Alliant Site above for my loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is a remington hdcp load