1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HD TV advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I need some input into what HD TV I should purchase for my den. I currently have a Sharp 32" Aquos and am planning on moving this TV into my bedroom; as it is a little small for the den. I would like to purchase a 40" LCD and am considering a Samsung LN40A450. I can get one off the internet for $905 with free shipping and no sales tax. Anybody have any input?? Thanks. Ed

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with a Samsung. They are consistantly rated at the top for picture quality. The unit you listed is a 720p resolution set, spend a few $$$ more and get one with native 1080p resolution, to get that you'll need to goto a 42" or larger.

Eric

3. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Stay away from Vizio!!

4. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Buy a Vizio

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Vizio is made by LG which is the old Zenith label.

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Check this site for the best audio/video info on the web.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a 52 Vizio and is is great but I think the Samsung is a slightly better picture.

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

We have Sony, Sharp, and Toshiba sets and they are all good. None have had any problems.

9. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

I bought this one from Amazon last year a Samsung LNT4065F 40" 1080p LCD HDTV. Free shipping, no tax, they stand behind their product. Even got a $75 refund when they lowered the price 30 days later.

Very pleased with the TV...go to some stores though and get an idea of the various mfg's pictures. Will be buying a 46" ro 50" Samsung when I finish sprucing up our family room later this year.

Good luck

Bill

10. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Samsung is excelletn choice. Samsung and Pioneer are the two best units out there presently. Pioneer has the balckest balck as well as red and green color. You willpay more for a Pioneer but it is the best.

Samsung presently manufacturers the majority of components for other brands and will be doing more as time goes on.

Good viewing

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

LG is a South Korean multinational corp and id South Korea's 2nd largest electonics mfr. and the world's3rd largest appliance maker. They have lot os subsidiary world wide that design and mfr. tv's home appliances and telecommunication devices. LG owns Zenith Electronics and controls LG displays which is a joint venture with Phillips Electronics. Company originally established in 58 as GOLDSTAR, producing radios TVs which were low end in my opinion.

12. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

You need to go and SEE whatever TV you want to buy. Go to circuit city and look at the model you want. Everybody 'sees' LCD TV different.

FACT IS, there are NO STANDARDS for LCD TV's. One guy's 1200:1 contrast ratio is not the same as the other guy's 1200:1. You need to see it. LCD TV's are ruled by processing power. Reaction time is king.

The best test in the Circuit City store:

Go on a Saturday or Sunday when there's a football game on. Don't worry, they'll have it on. Watch until there's one of those little ticker tape news things on the bottom. If you can make out all the letters of the tape when the action really hits on the field, then the processor is up to snuff.

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I don't think that's processor power. I think that's refresh rate. Anyway good point.

14. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Sony Bravia!!

15. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I strongly urge you to go to the website above before you make your decision. Professionals and advanced hobbyists discuss issues relevant to you on the thread above.

Let me summarize:

Pixel resolution is not the only consideration, maybe not even the most important one. Broadcast HDTV is not yet worthy of the name (or cable or Sat HDTV or DTV, for that matter). Much is rebroadcast 480i, most is 720p or 1080i, almost none is 1080p, as yet. Very little has adequate bandwidth.

Bitrate is crucial. If you have an HDTV over 42" and watched the HDTV broadcast of the Olympics opening ceremony, perhaps you know what I'm getting at. Dark areas had heavy artifacting, because there was insufficient bitrate. Flat-part priority went to nil, starved as it was for information. Mind you, most of the Olympics was (*JUST*) adequate.

Rule of thumb is, up to 42" diagonal, few people can distinguish between 720p and 1080p. That is for "recommended" viewing distance. For "immersive" distance, i.e., about 2x diagonal width, a trained eye CAN tell the difference, but only with superior source material. So, does Blu-Ray qualify? Yes and no. Some transfers are outstanding, many are poor. Good transfers are from studio digital 4k2k masters (4000x2000). For HDTVs over 42", yes, you need 1080p.

BTW, at the link above are graphs of viewing distance by size and resolution.

Image processors (i.e. hardware filters and scalers) are a little-appreciated factor. The best sets have level 6 or 7. Most current Samsungs and Toshiba Regzas have such processing power. There are others, but I mention those two because they give great value for money, currently. On a really big set, trust me, there's a significant difference. Less than 42", not so much.

At the linked thread, there is another link to CNET reviews, worth a look.

Good luck whatever you get.

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

shop around, view the tvs, then buy on Amazon....they have great pricing AND customer service!! Go with Samsung

17. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I had to send THREE Vizio tv's back to Costco because a green line was at the right corner of the screen and a "bevel" as in a mirror was on the left side.It made watching football something else.A friend had the same issue.We had all the "experts" come in and no one could figure it out.I have an Aquos by Sharp and am very pleased.Some one said that any brand with an "s" is a safe bet.Sony/Sharp/Samsung.

18. esoxhunter

I may have screwed up. I ended up purchasing a Toshiba 42" (42AV500). I got it off the internet for $845 to include shipping; I thought I would give it a try. It replaces a Sharp Aquos 32" which I never had a problem with; it's just that it was a little small for my den. Thanks for the input. Ed

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Don't think you screwed up. It's an 720p set from Toshiba. Did you see one in action before you bought or were you swayed by the price. In any event good luck with it.

Eric

20. esoxhunter

Eric: Price was a main concern. I am not a "TV watcher". I usually watch the news channels and Nascar. I just figured that Toshiba is somewhat of a brand name and I might be better of with it than say a Sanyo, Viewsonic, Vizio or something lie that. Oh well, if it isn't what I think it should be; I'll put it in the bedroom. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.