1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HAZMAT FEE??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

So Exactly what is the $25 Hazmat Fee that we are charged when ordering powder or primers? What is done differently by the carriers? Fred

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Complicated regs and procedures...simple answer: the shipping companies charge the fees and receive the money to cover the special processing and handling materials defined as "hazardous" must be given during shipping. You know, the stuff they're not supposed to throw, kick, drop, step on, get wet or put on the bottom of the pile? Fees and "special handling procedures" vary among carriers.

Google <I>hazardous material shipping</I> and prepare to be confused.

MK

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

So does anyone protest these phony fees? You mean it costs $25 to stick a label on the box? Ask your carrier what they do differently and the delivery guys don't know. We are really being "sheep" about this fee. Has there ever been an incident of powder or primers blowing up while being transported by a carrier? Damn! The Tea Party sounds better and better. Fred

4. revbook

revbook Member

I essence we pay a $25 fee to assure that it will go ground....the slowest way!

Don

5. Jerry Tuten

Jerry Tuten TS Member

Carrier has to carry 5 million dollars insurance to carry hazmat, a non hazmat carrier carries 1 million dollars insurance.

6. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"... Has there ever been an incident of powder or primers blowing up while being transported by a carrier?"</I></blockquote>I can't answer that question, but I'll bet that the fire and police squads that had to respond to an accident involving such a truck were more than a little happy that the truck was placarded for hazardous materials.

MK

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Hazmat fees are charged because of the special requirement by the govt on things that might be hazzardous. this covers nearly anything that might be flamable or toxic. There is a certain amount of paperwork required for each item shipped that includes the class of material and the quantity. This lets people handling the cargo know what they have and how much of it they have in case of an emergency, such as a train derailment, or truck wreck. when a trailer is put on a train for haulage, the conductor must know which rail car the trailer is on, the trailer nr, the amount of material and the type. There are lots of materials that are tegulated by the NTSB. these are flamable explosive corrosive and most wide is orm Other regulated material. All classes of material have a rating and even the empty cars and containers must be marked because of the possibility of residue being there. In the case of an accident all the paperwork must be readily available so that responders know what they are dealing with and how much and exactly where in the consist it is located. Hope this sheds some light on the subject and why. I wouldn't want to be a responder to an accident and not know that there were 500 gal of chlorine gas or lp gas. Even bic lightrs are shipped as hazmat.

Bob

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

As a Class "A" licensed truck driver, i won't even haul hazmat anymore. I refused loads for quite awhile before dropping my Hazmat Endorsement last time i renewed. You wouldn't believe the BS envolved with being a Hazmat driver anymore. If you can't handle the $20-$25 hazmat fee drive somewhere and pick the stuff up in person and you be responseable for its safe transportation. Most places charge a one fee per order charge. Make that order worth your while when you do it and it will all work out to a minimal charge per item.---Matt

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its the result of more government regs! I have never heard of any problem with primers, powder, cleaning solvents. BUT because they can get away with it the shipper's have used it as a revenue collection on their behalf.

Yes, there is a ton of paperwork, but thats because of the government.

When there was never a issue, then all the sudden there is a "fee" you will find a government agency behind it.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Thanks guys. Your explanations make sense... don't like it, but understanding the necessities required to transport stuff will stop my complaining. For you truckers... be safe and careful. Fred

11. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Anyone know why there`s a Hazmat fee on powder / primers , but no fee on loaded "ready to go" ammo???

This is the part that makes no sense to me at all.

Regards, Pete

12. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Tell me what one thing the government does that make sense?

It was not a problem before the fees were levied, so what made it a problem?

government not trusting its citizens!

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ready to go ammo is inert for the most part. There is a special classification for it, "ORM-D" and it has to be on the side of the carton.

I think (not sure) there is another card to fold down on the trailer for corrosive cargo.

This situation didn't just come about because some nerdy lawmaker had the germ of an idea, rather there were some dangerouw things that happened and the Hazmat spe4cial handling was the remedy.

HM

14. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I will respond to this with the answer i would give you if you called the trucking company I work for and ask to me to transport HAZMAT materials. Not all carriers are HAZMAT certified and as such we can and do charge extra. Why because as someone previously answered 5 million dollars primary liability is the minimum insurance required to receive a HAZMAT permit. Most copmpanies have 10 times that amount of insurance. And then an umbrella policy to cover from that point on. The drivers are required to submit fingerprints through a paticular fingerprint collection provider ($89.00). The FBI and Homeland security perform a " risk assessment" before the driver is permitted to pay $100.00 to take the HAZMAT test. If they fail the test they must retake. There is significant paperwork and increased DOT audits, and HAZMAT carriers are held to a higher standard than common carriers.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

HDLLLIII---Now you know why i dropped my endorsement. Felt like i was going for triple Top Secret Clearance with the Government. The company didn't offer to pay all the added fees. The loads didn't pay me one dime more for all the added BS.---Matt

16. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

grntitan--- while some companies don't recognize or reimburse drivers for the fees associated with the HAZMAT endorsement we do. Moreover, we pay an additional .04 per mile while our drivers are transporting HAZMAT classified freight. While .04 per mile does not sound like much to the average consumer, the average HAZMAT miles for our 65 drivers is 50,000 miles per year. That allows our drivers to average $2000.00 more earnings per year.

17. Landshark

Landshark Member

It's simply a "shooters tax".

18. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Unfortunately it's just the cost of doing business. All that stuff about the hazmat and testing is true and necessary. Not to mention the on going training
    and inspection process that continually changes year to year. Then there's the packaging requirements. If we didn't have these things in place there are idiots out there that'd be hauling gasoline in an open dixie cup.

Be glad it isn't more than $25.

Shoot well.

19. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

goes directly to Obamas re election fund

20. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Ready to go ammo is inert for the most part. There is a special classification for it, "ORM-D" and it has to be on the side of the carton."</I></blockquote> "ORM-D" isn't a special designation just for ammunition; it's for any consumer goods ("Other Regulated Materials-Domestic) in small quantities that present some sort of hazard during shipment because of what they are or how they're packaged.

Heck, lots of things have to be shipped as ORM-D like aerosol cans, automobile batteries, perfume, lighters, BEER, drain and oven cleaners and ammo of course.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.