1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Haz Mat Shipping

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lofat2, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

I`m Trying to ship 8lbs. of powder legally to a friend. Does anyone know how to do it without jumping through hoops? I am not licensed & I have no idea how to go about it. Can it be done?
    Thanks in advance, Bob

2. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

I am a DOT Haz-mat certifed shipper. 49 CFR does not apply to folks such as you and I unless it is "commerce". That's how you and I can throw these things in our car and drive them down the stret....we're not "in-commerce".

When you ship using a vender like UPS or someone who is in business....now you're in commerce. I personally have never shipped ammunition powder, but it would be similar to shipping any other hazardous material. Rather than me trying to explian over this web site.....PM me if you'd like and I will give you my phone number and you can call.

Shane

3. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

Ounce-n-3/8s, PM Sent.

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I sent a package ups a while back, used an old primer box and didn't black the markings out on the box...it made it half way to the destination and someone caught it..they had me come and sign a paper that it was not a hazard, and then sent it back to me to be repackaged...

tony

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You can't unless you get certified.

Smokeless powder is classed by DOT as a Division 4.1 Flammable Solid.

You may find a local hazmat shipper that may be willing to do you a favor.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Under no circumstances should you try and sneak it by. They frown on this greatly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.