1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hawkeye Ruger Rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darth Vader, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader TS Member

Has anyone out there tried these new Ruger rifles? I was wondering if they are better than the old 77's. Thanks for any info!

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would like to know too, but Savage gets the nod at this point.

HM

3. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

If you want a good shooting inexpensive rifle, try the Stevens 200. Made by Savage and is the most economical rifle out there. Beats the crap outta the Rem 770.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Hawkeye has just about replaced the standard Ruger turnbolt rifle line.

I have a Ruger old style All Weather Mark II in 308 and the same model Hawkeye in '06.

Both great guns.

The 308 beats the Ought Six in the accuracy department, but that likely has little to do with the model of gun. They both have a 1-10" twist. I prefer the 308 to have a 1-12" twist, but this Ruger shoots the 170 gr Lapua Scenar so well I cannot complain.

The 30/06, after more than half a century of shooting, is once again my favorite caliber for a game rifle. It has little to offer over the 308 besides nostalgia and the ability to handle heavy bullets, if needed.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have 77 Alaskan in 375 Ruger now..it is a sweet rifle that you notice is a all over refinement...definantly noticeable but I love all my 77's...the 375 though will make you forget your name after a box of shells...I'm saving my pennies for a hunt of a lifetime before my bod totally gives up the ship

6. MR.ohiogal

MR.ohiogal TS Member

The Hawkeye is a very accurate rifle,, my brother has a .375 Ruger chambering, and you can get 3 shots in about 1.25" group at 100yds. The best shooting large bore rifle I have shot,, although the rifle I feel is too light
    for that round,, it will rattle your teeth off the bench. I'd like to see a version in a heavier laminated stock, but a fine rifle nonetheless.

Jeff

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Not a thing wrong with any of the Ruger rifles other than uniformly tough triggers.

I have a Hawkeye in 308 and it is really nice. Accurate with most loads including cast bullets.

Have a 77 Mk2 in 243 and it is also fine. Both are scheduled for trigger work, however, in the future. Stocks, barrels, fine.

Wish I had my old No1 in 222 (never cataloged) back.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The new "Hawkeye" has a better out-of-the-box trigger than any of the previous Ruger 77's......IMO

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.