1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hawk killed on trap range..

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Sometime ago I was reading a old issue of a shotgun magazine, a guy was on the trap range and called for the bird, at the same time a hawk flew over (at the time there wasnt a law against killing them) he raised up and shot the hawk, it fell on the range and the score keeper called lost... the shooter argued how could it be lost when the bird was laying there in front of them.. everyone got a chuckle out of it and the shoot continued... several times during a shoot I have seen birds fly right through a shot pattern but have never seen one hit.. many times I think to myself if the clay had not been hit the bird would be dead..

2. FLIP

FLIP Member

shooting doubles at our zone shoot about 5 years ago guy next to me shot the second clay the same time a starling was in the wrong place, it was scored dead pair plus one. i had to wait to shoot

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I saw a pigeon meet its demise at Mason a few years back. The shooter was escourted off the grounds for some reason.

ss

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Seen several die at Vandalia..

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I was pulling for a guy one evening. There was a bunch of swallows flying around down range catching bugs I guess. He called for a bird and just center punched one of the swallows. He never even knew.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"I saw a pigeon meet its demise at Mason a few years back. The shooter was escourted off the grounds for some reason."</i>

Some clubs take a dim view of that, whether accidental or deliberate.

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I shot a dove while shooting targets. I didn't realize it was even out there as I was focused on the target at hand. My squadmates told me what had happened.

Jim C

8. PNT

PNT Member

One evening while shooting league I accidently shot a seagull and got the target. Owen J. my neighbor and a GAME WARDEN (now conservation officer) stopped the squad (he was on the squad) and had me go out and pick it up and throw it into the trash barrel. He joked that I was lucky he wasn't a Federal Warden... He told me later that the gull committed suicide, it just dived at the target and that there was no way I was at fault.

9. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Ah, death by Trapshooter.

10. yansica1

yansica1 Member

We had a pair of mallard pass within a whisker of a clay target being shot at yesterday but luckily no injuries. What amazed everyone was how nonchalant the duck seemed to be towards the noise and the crowd etc.
    Years ago I was shooting the British Open Sporting where a guy shot and broke a going away clay and with it peppered a tight sitting cock pheasant which jumped up after being hit and then lay there clearly pricked. I was quite annoyed when the ref just carried on as if nothing had happened. I felt the bird should have been retrieved and despatched or at the very least shot again and killed on the ground.

11. JTEA

JTEA Member

How about a sporting clays "throw for example" target which clipped the rear skull of a Mallard and killed it? Saw it in Maryland years ago.

JT

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

At Camp Perry I saw a bird dive down just as the targets went up for 300 yard timed rapid fire. I saw a ball of feathers about 150 yards ahead of a man from the Indiana state team and his target only showed 9 hits. Thats pretty good hunting, a 150 yard shot on a flying bird with a service rifle.

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

That reminds me of a seagull I saw that was killed by a out fielder throwing a baseball back to the in field.

14. tachyon

tachyon Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/le3IpnLOAsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/le3IpnLOAsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Randy Johnson pitching. Bird in wrong place at the wrong time.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So how'd the umpire call that one?

16. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

In the late 1980s, I was with the US Shooting Team at a World Champioship in Perth, Australia.

lance Bade was a Junior then, and he and a German were in a shoot off. On the German kids 23rd or so bird, a small pink parrot flew across the field when he called for the bird and he missed. Lance ran 25 for the silver medal.

Hank Cross

17. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

so while we're on this topic, what happens when I call for a target, see a bird that would get hit if I shot the clay, and raise my gun to a safe position, without firing? Legally (ATA anyway), do I get another clay, or is that one scored lost? Just curious. We got into a friendly debate the other day when this happened during practice!!

Brian Robert

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Closest I ever came was on a driving range.. I hit a duck in the head at about 100 yards.. Didn't mean to... but dead duck... I think the grounds keeper had duck for dinner that night..

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Post one, doubles on the last eastern trap at the 1980 Grand American, I hit a dove with my second shot. Pure accident. The scorer called "dead-a-pair". We changed it.

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Perazzi BigBore, I did the same on a golf course once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.