1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Haw many high POI shooters do you know?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Was wondering who can you add to this list of high POI shooters?
    Larry Gravestock
    Ray Stafford
    Pat McCarthy
    Randy Ross
    Gary Bryant

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Got that new barrel back yet, Gary? It seems to me that will test the very upper reaches of your wish for higher- and higher-shooting guns. Tell us how it scores, OK?

Neil

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Are you talking about being high when they shoot or getting high after?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. lol

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Only one that I know here in Arizona. His name is Doug Hawkins. All the rest shoot a shotgun from 60/40 to maybe 90/10 @ 40 yards. Kinda like Leo, Kay, Bonillas and many, many others. POI is a personal thing, you must find out what works for YOU and not be a copycat.

My personal shotgun that is used for trap, a K-80 trap special, shoots 7 to 8 inches high @ 30 yards. When I shot the pot shooting games I used a model 12 (still have it) that shot 12 inches high. Pot targets are thrown as high, wide and fast as possible, therefore the slightly higher shooting gun. And yes, I was very sucessful at pot shoots.

Still waiting for your results on registered ATA targets with your 25 inches high shooting shotgun.

I have 32 years in this game of trap shooting.

Tom Strunk

5. slodsm

slodsm Member

I've tried them but I can't do anything with them on angle targets. Throws me all off. I prefer about 6-8 inches high at the max and barely high at all at the min. As long as I don't have to cover the bird or see a foot of air between the blur and the target I'm good.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If my measurements are close enough in the neighborhood of accuracy, Tom's POI is possibly 0.010 too high now?? :) 7 er 8 looks to be real close here?

Hap

7. overbored

overbored Member

Longshot you should not put your name on the same line as shooters of this quality. Im just saying! Have a little respect.

Hugh

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Longsh?t is the greatest shooter there is - In his own Mind. Another dumb thread. It matters not what others do it is what you do and your success with it.

Don

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Some people just don't know how to answer a thread, possibly they don't know any high POI impact shooters.

Tom Strunk I have 42 years shooting registered targets w/ a total of 45 years target shooting buddy shoots and calcuttas.

The longer I shot the higher POI I needed, part of this was I used to shoot 18 Grains Green Dot 1 1/8th oz shot for over 30+ years and that is a slow load.

I always shot 2 3/4 dram shells the best and it being a 100 straight from 24.5 yards, in 1970 w/ a Model 12 Solid Rib trap and my homemade release trigger.

I still shoot a decent handicap average, I only wish I was still working and could afford to travel and shoot. I have shot some decent scores from the 27 yard line as I have been there quite a long time. And I took all my yardage reductions that were offered, only to go right back to the 27. Now go ahead and jump on me, before you do are you on the 27 and 69 years old or older?

I wish I could afford to shoot more registered targets.

And the 20 inch high POI at 30 yards is working for me.

I also want to point out that my highest handicap average was with a Silver Seitz that shot 18" inches high, notice I did not put at which yardage.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Gary, the reason I said that I have been shooting trap for 32 years was to answer a statement you made, implying that the longer you shoot the higher your POI would become, kind of naturally.(posted 11-24-2010 @ 9:43) I dispute that.

I'm not here to blow my own horn, but I will give you and other readers an example of my "history" with high shooting shotguns.

In the early 90's I was building the pools and spas for a customer, 24 Hour Fitness, in Arvada, Colorado. In those days Ray Stafford was still running his gun club outside of town, about a 20 minute drive from the work site. As everyone knows, Ray is good people. I was hanging around his club with nothing else to do, when Ray offered to loan me his personal Perazzi to shoot some practice rounds.

I bought a box of Federal paper light 8's and walked to the 16 yard line. I couldn't hit my ass with his gun. I held from level down to below the house lid, nothing I could do to break a target ??? I broke three (3-!!) targets out of 20 and walked off the field.

I then walked into the shop and told Ray that I just couldn't shoot his gun. He then removed the trigger and put it in a standard Perazzi for me to try. I then bought a box of Federal paper heavy 71/2's and walked to the 27 yard line and the results were 24 out of 25 from the 27 yard line. I have been on the 27 yard line for 30 years with no reductions.

Gary, I'm not picking on you, but it seems you constantly are posting your thoughts about high POI's being right for most if we would just try it. Well I tried it and don't like it. If it works for you, great, but as I have stated your POI is a personal thing. Moving your POI up above 100% is not the answer for most shooters. Just my opinion from experience.

Tom Strunk---
    74 years old 11/7/36---
    See my picture posted by Hap on my birthday @ Autumn Grand

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I float mine about two feet???? My back up has an 80/20 rib and I put space between the beads to match the way I hit with my P gun. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.