1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Havre Trap Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Havre Trap Club,

When an airplane repeatedly buzz's the trap club 45 minutes before the shoot is scheduled to start and then heads off low toward the direction of the airport, that means he needs for someone to come to the airport and give him a ride to the trap club.

If, an hour later & fifteen minutes after the shoot has started the same airplane buzz's the trap club again and then heads off to the east climbing 'til he disappears out'a sight......that means he gave up on waiting for the ride that ain't comin' and went home.

Hope I didn't distract anybody out on the line shooting when I buzz'd ya'?

John C. Saubak

Peerless, Montana

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

John, just out of curiosity, is it you or the club who doesn't have a phone?

Many of us who are not pilots, including me, would not have known by your actions that you needed a ride. I would have thought it was just some jerk in a plane trying to disrupt the shoot.

3. gotbass

gotbass Member

I wonder if there was a club there 62 years ago when I was born there. Havre, it just gives ya the chills, I sure hope I can shoot there some day.

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Pocatello,

If the Havre Trap Club has a telephone I have no idea what the number would be? I carry a cell-phone but that don't do me much good if I don't have a clue what # to dial............just to satisfy your curiousity.

John C. Saubak

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Havre's a nice place to shoot, gotblass. I shot there last year and I was hoping to shoot there again.......but it's a long walk from the airport to the trap club. FBO at the airport is closed on Saturday & Sunday and the place is locked up......I have the phone #'s of two places in Havre who claim to rent out cars, #1-"sorry, we don't have anything available", #2-"sorry, we don't have anything available". Call to the FBO's home "Is one of these cars out in the parking lot a Courtesy car by any chance, like maybe the little dark green Subaru?"...."no, sorry, that's just somebodys car, we got an old Oldsmobile but somebody's using it"........Last resort, pull the ol' rodeo trick....buzz the rodeo grounds and then make a bee-line for the airport, you can bet your ride'll be there before you get the airplane tied down. I guess trapshooters don't recognize the "ol' rodeo trick"?

I wish jalu would'a been there, I'd a'got to shoot in Havre today.......

John C. Saubak

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

7. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

John I apologize that nobody went to pick you up. Many thought you had made arrangements for a pickup and assumed they were going to pick you up. There were three numbers listed on the flyer. I gave up on trying to read others minds years ago. I would be more than willing to sit down and discuss this problem with you at anytime. Next time when you bank your plane it would be nice to see your face and a wave to come hither and someone would have headed to pick you up . Even a piece of paper drop would have helped. We do have a couple of pilots that do buzz the club from time to time also. I do not feel it is right to bad mouth the club when there is equal blame on both sides. Again I would be more than happy to discuss this with you at anytime. Feel free to contact me now or later if you wish to fly in to one our shoots and I would be willing to pick you up or make other arrangements to have you picked up. Thank you MARK PETERSON 406-394-2216 or 406-262-2447 be aware the cell service out here is poor and I am in the house early mornings or late evenings. Thanks again

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank you for replying Mark, It wasn't my intention to badmouth or blame the club. Mostly I just wanted to let ya'll know that I wasn't just some bozo screwin' around showin' off. I could have made prior arrangements for transportation from the airport to the trap club but I assumed I could just get some wheels when I landed, was quite surprised to find the FBO closed on a Saturday morning, no courtesy car available and both of the car rental places in town "sorry, we don't have any cars available". I'd left the flyer you sent me at home so with no phone # to call the only plan I could think of was take off & go over and buzz the place in hopes SOMEBODY would recognize what I needed? Sorry I didn't get there, I really enjoyed shooting there last year and was looking forward to shooting there again this year.

Actually, the whole weekend was a washout.......I was planning to only shoot there on Saturday because I'd promised a nieghbor that I'd help him brand calves on Sunday, so Sunday morning I got out early, saddled my horse and loaded him up in the trailer, pulled into the nieghbor's yard right at 8:00am and was surprised to see nobody else there yet.......nieghbor say's "gee didn't you get the word? We put it off 'til next week"......Oh GREAT, now I'm half an hour from home with a saddled up horse instead of a shotgun, no branding and no time to go back home unload & unsaddle, load the shooting stuff back in the airplane and make it back to Havre again? Ah to hell with it......guess I'll just stay home and haul my bulls out to the pasture.

So you see, it was kind of a frustrating weekend for me. Oh well, maybe next year? See ya'll at the state shoot in Billings next month.

John C. Saubak

Peerless, MT

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

John,

Sorry you didn't get to shoot.....maybe you should have flown down to Helena. It was a nice day on Saturday and lots of shooters. I had my choice between Helena and Havre and......Well what can I say....I have a grandbaby in Helena :)

It makes it a nobrainer.

See ya at state!

Yeah, I got the presquad.

Rickyd

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Hey Rick....
    Yeah, Havre and Helena are both good places to shoot but for me, Havre's a lot closer. Heck, I was so close I could hear the shooting when it started at 10:00 o'clock on the other side of town.

Pre-squad, state shoot, think "early squad"----right behind the trapsetters. Should be available in Billings with the traps facing east?

John C. Saubak

11. ric3677

John, You would be surprised at the number of early squad requests that I have already. I know I am. Maybe they know something we don't?

Rickyd

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Oh well, do the best ya' can.....somebody's gotta' be the first one out on the dance floor? Might as well be me......

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I AM a little surprised considering the east facing traps at Billings? Four years ago seem'd like everybody wanted squad 20-something.......the crabby ol' buggers even made the SCTP kids shoot first at 8:00 o'clock when you're looking directly into the sun.

BTW, not to drift a thread but what the ####'s the deal with the running the SCTP kids off & making 'em have their OWN shoot? Was this the MSTA's doing?

John C. Saubak

14. ric3677

John,

No, it wasn't the MSTA's deal. My understanding is that it was the club that decided to not have them shoot the same time as the State. The kids can still shoot at the State, just not as teams.

And it's your thread.....you can talk about whatever you want....Rickyd

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have never shot at Havre but on the weekend I shot at Kalispell for the Scott Levengood Memorial Shoot. It was a very good shoot and would you believe they had 24 squads. The new management at FVCTC did a very commendable job of running the shoot and quite a few old faces were there to pitch in and help.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've never shot at Kalispel, Mike. Out of curiousity, how many traps do they have?

John C. Saubak

17. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

John, the Flathead Valley Clay Target Club or FVCTC has 6 program traps and 1 practice trap. All the fields have lights and they say there is more league shooting than anywhere else in the country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
havre shooting club

havre trap club

havre trapclub