1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

having trouble with setting release trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sagepost2, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sagepost2

sagepost2 Member

I've been shooting a release trigger for about five years.I would mount the gun and set the trigger but lately sometimes when I try to set it I will sort of balk a little and sometimes I will set it and release it right away.I don't
    know if you would call this a flinch or not but it is really frustrating.Any suggestions will be apreciated. I read the other fellows flinching problems but mine is different. Thanks Gary

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You're among many. Ways of beating it include hypnosis, playing music through headphones while shooting or the ultimate fix-setting the trigger with gun open -then closing it!!

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You know that it is important to have your release trigger adjusted properly. I get extremely nervous if my trigger goes off too soon. One time years ago, I experienced your symptoms exactly and was ready to go back to a pull trigger or just quit. I found out that the hammer in my TMX was cracked and was causing problems with pre-mature release. It is also good to have a relatively heavy set weight with a definite audible click. If the trigger ever pulls through it is time for a trip to the trigger smith.

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I am going on 69 years old. Premature release has not been a problem for me in several years.

5. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

Have had the same problem for 2 years now. I have to set the trigger with the gun open and then close the gun. Had a talk with a fellow shooter with the same problem and he says it comes from a release trigger that is to fast, problem is I like a fast trigger. Some guns you have to close the barrels a little to get the trigger to set. Oleolliedawg is right-you're among many!!

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have been shooting release and double releases since 1974 and this is how I do it. Stock against shoulder, face on comb, set the trigger. The whole procedure probably takes less than 1 second, BUT, if I get the stock in the wrong place on my shoulder, I have found that even as fast as I do all three things, I can dismount the gun and try again as I haven't set the trigger yet. Hope this helps. Larry Evans

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I set with gun open. Terry Jordan does much of the time as well

8. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

It is a very common problem hundreds of shooters have gone through that. It is a flinch that is caused by years of recoil like a pull trigger flinch only in reverse. You just get fear of setting it and the finger lets go like it pulled through but that is usually not the cause.

Usually setting the trigger with the gun open is the only fix. I know shooters that worked a lot on my chart that did beat it but most just set it with the gun open.

Terry.

9. oleolliedawg

If you feel the need to have the gun mounted while setting the trigger you can always switch back to that old Model 12 or 870 pump. Simply mount the gun but do not fully engage the pump handle, set the trigger then close the action. It works. Some of the old timers with that problem gradually increased the set pressure using heavy duty springs. I've seen sets upwards of 12 lbs. that worked for them. Lazy shooters like myself simply set the trigger with the gun open and move on!!

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your trigger needs to be adjusted. You need a heavy audible click when you set the trigger, and some creep on the release side. The creep is very important. No one should have to set the trigger before closing the gun.

11. oleolliedawg

shot410ga, you know not of what you speak!!

12. kingbilly

kingbilly TS Member

ive have the same problem for about 2 years now. what i do is call for the target then set the trigger. it takes a while to get used to but with pratice it works. the hardest part is thinking about the target and not about setting the trigger. i dont have any problem with keeping trigger set or setting it after i call. like i said only problem is looking for target and not thinking about trigger. bill

13. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Last year, I got a chance to shoot Kay's K80 with a release. Never touched a release before. After three snap fires of not being able to set the damn thing, I gave it back to him and said "thank you". Maybe I needed to set it while open as you guys suggest, but I could not set that trigger if my life depended on it. Scared the crap out of me 3 times and I gave up before I did something bad.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Oleo, That's the way my release works (Ljutic). I'll be dam if I would set the release before I closed the breech. That is a junk trigger, and unsafe.

15. oleolliedawg

shot410ga, I assume you also believe there's no reason to use a release trigger either. After all, everyone can pull a trigger-right? As I said, you know not of what you speak as the issue has nothing to do with trigger quality, speed whatever!!

16. bigben

bigben Active Member

When you et to this stage, try this very good fix!! Get a PULL trigger with at least a 5 lb. pull, 6 is better, in around 100 targets or so you will see a definite improvement! incinerate em!

17. oleolliedawg

Yep, and a year or two from now you'll be flinching just as bad and back to release!!

18. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Much of the time when someone STARTS having trouble setting a release it is because either the set is too light or the release is too light (or maybe both).

When you say you release it right away is a clue that the release is toooooo quick.

So first thing to do is check the trigger

19. oleolliedawg

Phil's right about too light a set or too fast a release. Increasing set pressure can make a release easier to control as can lowering the letoff. Having a faulty release pull through on the set is a major contributor to this problem. I always tell new release shooters if your trigger pulls through even once to put the gun away immediately and send it to your release smith for adjustment.

Unfortunately, that's not always the reason for being unable to set a release. I can remember the first time I had set issues was when I attempted to shoot with a severe back pain from a vollyball injury. That was a long time ago but the problem persists.

I understand Ray Stafford was having a similar problem not long ago. Maybe we should ask him how he corrected it!!

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

When I cam back to shooting I did so with a pull trigger. and shot it OK. Then I was shooting alongside a guy with a Browning XT on the 16 yard line and he was shooting 3 drammers from the bottom bbl. Well long about the 3rd trap I could not deal with the concussion (from the ports) any longer and could not pull the trigger. I removed myself from th line. Adn installed the release mechanism I got form Kolar when I bought the gun. I practiced with that some and then went out to shoot the handicap and was able to shoot once again with a release. No going back to pull tho.

Then some time later I was standing on the 26 on station 1 along side a 27 yarder with big ports and shooting 3 dram shells. Didnt' take long for me to be ducking form fear of the concussion. And then I could not set the trigger (mounted that is). I did force my way thru the round, but avoided similar situations until I was stuck once again to the right of a 27 yarder when he was on 4 and I on 5. I absolutely could not YANK the trigger to set it. Left again, and learned to set the trigger with the gun open. Perazzis work well in that situation. Other guns too, but Perazzis are no-brainers to set open.

So, shot410, I have owned every quality trigger made for MX and TM guns and many others too. It is NOT a trigger issue. For me it is a concussion issue.

I avoid Browning XT bottom bbl ports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar triggers hammers reverse for release