1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Having some trouble with AA and DRxl-1 reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Just started reloading the DRxl-1 1 oz wads today into a mix of old and new AA hulls. Seems as though every now and then the new AA's don't seat the wad as far down as they should. Anyone have any ideas? Using 18 grains of promo. And using about 40pds of pressure on the wads. Thanks, Jim

2. Borderland

Borderland Member

The base wad on the new AA is a constant source of irritation for reloaders' about all you can do is use a wad with a lead-in taper that will easily enter the base wad or use more wad pressure to force it past.

Ken

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you slice open a new AA hull you will see ridge on the inside of the hull just before you get to the bottom. Sometimes the bottom of the wad hangs up on ths ridge. HMB

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What Ken said. I find the TGT clone from Downrange works here. I only use the XL-1 in Nitro/STS ;cases.

HM

5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Jim I have had the same problem with the Jammer XL-1 wad.I posted the same question as you and tried everything! Now I only load them in the OLD style AA and the Remington hulls with zero problems.I took all of the AAHS hulls and used the claybuster wad in them ! The claybuster 12SL wad works,It has a different texture to the plastic and it slips into place in the AAHS hull.But then you will have some problems with the crimp to deal with.

I only use the Remington hulls now !!PJ

6. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Well, thanks for the info guys. Glad to know the problem didn't lay with me or my 366. I'll follow your advice. JKP

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Just shove the wad in deeper it will spring back to the proper length. Toss the wad pressure info out you don't need it. I've loaded thousands of the new AAs with the same wad without incident on my 366.

8. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I have had the same problems with the xl-1's in AA. If you look at them they do not have grooves in the base to release trapped air as they are seating and will pop back up sometimes. Downrange makes the DRA series of wads for the AA's that work very well,they have the groove.

Myself I like stocking only 1 wad for the Remington and the AA's and have found the Green Duster and Blue Duster Wads to work very well in both hulls.

JohnR

9. Borderland

Borderland Member

BigM-Perazzi.....is not "shoving the wad in deeper" the casual description
    of "more wad Pressure" ???

Ken

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I've had that trouble too. JohnR has it right and it's the air pressure under the wad combined with the slipperiness of the wad that pushes it back up. I just pushed it down with my thumb and continued loading. Not the way it should work though.

I've since switched to the DRA-12(red) wad and don't have that trouble anymore.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Borderland, yes, you could call it that, but, since I'm suggesting not using the calibrated wad pressure indicator on some presses, I don't call it that. I just shove the damn thing down as far as needed and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.