1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

having problems with straight a ways

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by romie, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I have problems with straight a ways especialy from 2 and 4.need advise.I seem to want to go to one side or the other. How can I prevent this?
    Monty

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Bet you are shooting under them.

Dr.longshot

3. romie

romie Active Member

I am shooting under them but I want to be on one side or the other ,I shoot a flat gun and I shoot the edges.If I think about it I cover the target but it will catch me off guard looking for the slight right or left.
    Monty

4. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

See the target, be the target, break the target. just keep that in mind.

what works for me if i am missing a target i shoot a hole round or 2 from that post and I usually figure out what i was doing wrong for example i got 3 yards (from 22 to 25) one weekend and after i had trouble hitting the hard lefts(I'm right handed) and i shot something like 3 or four boxes from station one but i DID NOT set the machine to all hard lefts so i would still not know what was coming out i figured out that i was behind them so i opened my stance and shot a little quicker and now the hard left is my favorite target.

like Perazzi said SEE THE TARGET you might be seeing the straight and think i is a quarter.

Try my advice and i hope it helps

Steven

PS i know my screen name is miss leading.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You're prob'ly subconcously trying to go to one side or the other so's not to lose sight of the target. If you are able to adjust the comb suggest you raise you'r point of impact a little.

John C. Saubak

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

You shoot with one eye close?

Seems like you are trying to keep the target in view, so you move the barrel to one side or the other of the target. Try raising the POI so you don't have to cover the bird to hit them.

Jason

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You need to hold still till the target has identified itself. Moving too soon makes you guess.

At least that's what causes me to do the same thing.

HM

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is very possible that the target you believe is a straight away is actually a slight angle and you are shooting th target as if it were a straight away.

Just see the bird move your body move naturally and let the gun shoot when it is ready. If you allow it, the gun will follow what you are looking at. Do not try to aim the gun. Simply trust your eyes and your gun. They will automatically work together. Your gun and your eyes do not care if the target is a straight away or an angled target. Things only get messed up when you inject your brain between your gun and your eyes.

Pat Ireland

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well said, Pat.

You have to let the little guy behind your eyeballs do his work, instead of grabbing the controls.

HM

10. teleskier

teleskier Member

Pat has it right. Most birds are not true straight aways.

1. Do proper set up at the station. Focus just ahead of your bead but keep it clear.
    2. Call for the target
    3. Track the target
    4. Crush the target

If you shoot fast you will need a higher POI too. Most people shoot too flat of a gun. Mike

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Are your beads lined up one behind the other, if they are off a little, that means shot placement is not correct for breaking the target, your pattern may be off to the left or right.

Make absolutely sure your sight alignment is correct when mounting the gun, if when you mount the gun you have to cant or move the gun, your stock does not fit you.

I check this myself by closing my eyes and mount the gun like i am ready to shoot, I do this several times, if the sights line up behind each other then the stock fits me, the next thing is point of impact check on paper.

Dr.longshot

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Watch Phil Kiners newest DVD, it address's that and has a fix for you over adjusting on straightaways in general ... Basically, make sure you are reading the target right before you drop the hammer on it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. romie

romie Active Member

Thanks
    Every one of you just about hit it.One I think I was trying to cheat up above the trap house and not having enough time to study the target which caused me to move after I called pull.I also was not concentrating on the top edge of the target.I was also cheating out to the edge of the house only to get fooled by the straight......such a simple game..hum....
    Monty

14. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Never hold for the straight away, hold over just a bit this makes you make sure you have made gun movement.On most trap houses the targets come out slightly right of center. Learn to read the target angle before you shoot, there is alot of time. Speed comes with practice.

15. teleskier

teleskier Member

the position the bird comes out of the house depends on the type of machine in the house. The old pat traps are the worst. Winchester machines come out right of center...Also, read the house itself (high house,hold lower and vice versa), read the field in relation to the house (stations may not be aligned correctly)..Mike

16. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Just my opinion but I do not believe there is a straight away. I watch a lot of shooters do the same time and they always seem to shoot to the side of the target because it is not going straight away.

The comments were right on, see the target come up from behind or from the side if you hold the way I do and than shoot it.

Remember to shoot the saucer, move to the target come up to it and shoot it.

Take care,

Just my comments I am not expert by any means.

Take care,

Jim

17. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

There are very few real straight aways but keep your head on the stock anyway.

18. srvfan

srvfan Member

There is no true straightaway..... So with that in mind going to one side is
    o.k. except you must go to the correct side. Keep moving your point of aim
    over till you start to hit em.
    Hope this helps!!!!!

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Bet you are shooting under them.

Dr.longshot"

Watch how a lot of trapshooters on the line approaches this target. A lot of people will make a good move on this target, then stop the vertical move when they hit the trigger! Works for some but not others. In that case, a higher POI is needed. A good video camera works wonders. Hap

20. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

my biggest problem with those straights, near straights and almost straight away targets:

Is that I end up raising my head to see them better, most of time I moved the gun to soon and lost sight of the bird and up comes my head and I see the shot saling way over the top.

My second is shooting way to quick, and the bird is just outside the pattern to the right or left, but this one is out mumbered by something more then 10 to 1 by that raised head.

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trouble with straight away targets