1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

having problems with hard lefts from post one

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by romie, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I have a feeling my head is moving faster than the gun.It started when I went back to the 20.How do I correct it.? move my hold point out to the left.By the way I am right handed. Help!
    Monty

2. teleskier

teleskier Member

Monty

If you are right handed your feet should be almost square with the line so the you don't have to move your body for your straight away from that station which would be your hard right. That way your body is already opened up to accept a hard left bird making your swing and follow through very fluid.

Not sure if you shoot one eye or two but I hold slightly lower for handicap and from station one I am about a foot in from the corner. Mike

3. Calgary Guy

Calgary Guy TS Member

Go to post 1, take 4 boxes and dont move till they are all gone. Helps also if you have someone standing behind you who knows what they are (and you) are doing.
    Another way is to have the trap set for nothing but hard lefts. But if you do that you need to have a puller who will stagger them a bit. (That way you wont move the gun till you see the bird.
    Good luck
    Calgary guy

BTW I have only been doing this for 2 years, so what the hell do I know!
    But the above has worked for me.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

romie- I took note of one part of your post "I have a feeling my head is moving faster than the gun" and this may be the key to your problem. I suspect that indeed your head may be moving faster than the gun, eg. you are not keeping your head on the gun.

Try this. On post one, and all other posts, mount your gun and then raise your right elbow and push the gun into your cheek. Be aware of the feeling of your gun pushed into your cheek and maintain this feeling until after you have shot. It may help. If it does not help, than figure out some other way to keep your head and gun moving as a single unit.

Pat Ireland

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Although there are some good suggestions here, nobody can tell you over the internet what you are doing wrong. You need to get with an excellent shooter who provides good feedback and/or instruction and let them watch what you are doing wrong. They may be able to offer suggestions that will work for you, your gun, and your style of shooting.

6. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

I had the same problem for years until I took a course with Frank Hoppe. He noted my hold position on post 1. He recomended holding farther of the left side of the house till you become comfortable breaking those targets. The key is also not to move so far to make the rights a disadvantage. The other idea is to hold for the straightaway(hard right) that way all your movement will be left. The key to both is seeing the target clearly, try looking for the target as it leaves the house, and making sure your eyes stay with it all the way till you shoot. Both these hold types will clear space so you can see the target more clearly.

From what you said about lifting your head, if you don't do that on a second bird in doubles, it is something visual that you lift your head to see the target. If your lifting on doubles, than it's recoil, in other words your body is pulling off the gun to get away from the kick. When you begin to move the gun left, your face senses it, and will lift up to avoid being hit.

Like the others said, have someone watch you!

Jeff G

7. southpark

southpark TS Member

Years ago I had the same problem.

Turns out my left eye was taking over.

You MAY have an eye dominance issue.

8. romie

romie Active Member

Thanks for the Ideas I tried opening up my stance and tried to favor the left shot by rotation back to the house.I will try raising my shoulder and cheating out next.If I figure it out I will be on my way to be the world champion.....till the next trap virus hits.
    Monty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
trap shooting problems on post one

trapshooting problems on post one