1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Having Problems with Federal Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Hello all, haven't been on the site for quite some time. With trapshooting season coming up I've been getting more into reloading to get ready. Tonight I was loading some older style federal hulls on my 650, and as I put a new hull on and rotated the carrier, what was supposed to be a finished hull, was just the brass base with the primer sticking out, and the actual hull with the base wad was lodged in the finish crimper. I was amazed that it didn't spill powder everywhere. Has anyone else had this problem with the older ribbed hulls? Thanks, Josh.

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Nope. But then again all the federals I have loaded are the cheap ones from the value pack. 3/4 of an ounce of 9's for skeet...shoot them once then let them hit the ground.
    Forrest

3. Frye

Frye TS Member

I had an STS hull stick in the finish crimper. Darndest thing...Only happended once and the shell stayed intact but it was a bit of a battle to get the press back in the UP posititon. The shell looked fine, crimp was a little con caved, not bad so I shot the shell, let it hit the ground and haven't had any others stick since. I don't reload Fed's so I can't say what went wrong with yours.

Jeff (frye)

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sounds like more of a problem with the Reloader, not the hulls.

Maybe your loader needs to be sent to Mec and rebuilt, etc.

Over the years I have loaded thousands (50K +) of Federals (Gold Medals, Top Guns, Field Loads, Walmart MP's, etc, etc.) with only slight adjustments to the machine.

Curt - Delaware

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Sounds like you haven't been loading for awhile. Maybe, your crimping die is a little rusty on the inside. Mine used to get that way when I wasn't loading much, but doing 30k a year now keeps 'em poslished. A little steel wool(any grade)wrapped around an old brass brush and attached to a drill will clean it out.

Buz

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

If you want to load GM plastic you better stock up on hulls. From what I hear Federal is no longer going to make them....just Top Gun and Wally Bullets.

Buz

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check gunbroker site there are Federal ribbed GMs for sale in California.Once fired..

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

I do not like the Federal hulls. Too many hull separations. AA's and STS's will split at the crimp or side - the GM's will totally separate from the brass head.

I will load the ones I have one more time and dump them on the ground.

Don

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have reloaded the older ribbed Gold Medal hull on a MEC Grabber for years and have never had a separation. The crimps get weak and split after 5 or more reloads but I have never had a separation.

I loaded 50 of the new slick once fired GM hulls for games last week and shot them in practice from the 27 - 35 yard line. I used a published Alliant load of 1 1/8 oz of hard 6's, 21.5 grains of Green Dot, Federal F209 A primer and Federal 12S3 wad.

They hit targets as hard as if they had been shot at 16 yards. For a 1250 fps load, they really shot soft. As they are not legal in ATA, I plan to load some with hard 7 1/2's and repeat the practice.

I normally shoot 1 oz of 8's at 1150 fps in ATA but the 1250 fps 1 1/8 oz loads really smoked the targets.

I like the new smooth GM hull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.