1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Having Lasik eye surgery

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cueguy2, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I am having Lasik eye surgery next week. Our trap season starts March 23rd. I would hope all is healed by then. I am interested to hear from anyone who has had this done and how your shooting was affected. Thanks to all in advance, Nubs Wagner.

2. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I shot a week after I had mine done in 2000. I also shot a week after I had cataract surgery done on both eyes in 2003.

Vince McNamara

3. Aggie.

Aggie. Member

I was able to shoot about 3 weeks after surgery, but It affected where I picked up the target. I had the "blend" or mono surgery where my left eye is for close up reading, and my right eye is for distance. I immediately, lost my crossfiring problem, but I had to lower my hold point, almost like a one eyed shooter. Overall I think it has helped, my shooting. But at least I can check the score sheet out, without having to put on reading glasses.

4. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I waited three weeks before shooting. Scores are about the same, but it was the best thing I ever done. Jack Melitsky

5. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

I waited about two weeks before shooting. Took a a couple of weeks to get used to the new vision when shooting. Another vote for best thing I've ever done.

Jim

6. IM390

IM390 Member

That type of surgery often produces night blindness. Often it is a minor side effect.

7. dhull

dhull TS Member

Had mine done in 2001. Don't really remember how long I was instructed to wait before shooting again, but it was worth it. Went from coke bottle lenses to 20/15, but have settled to 20/20. As I remember it seemed to change my perspective on the targets and scores initially went down, but are now better than ever. Best money I ever spent. Follow your surgeons directions and don't rush it. Dave 79-05542

8. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Lasik surgery is great. Went from 20/200 to 20/15 in less than 5 minutes. Don't expect to have perfect vision as soon as you walk out the door. For the first month you may be very sensitive to bright lights so you may want to get a good pair of sunglasses. Also it took me over 6 months to get rid of the halos around lights at night and dry eyes. Good Luck. Darren

9. JCC

JCC TS Member

Had mine done about 2 years ago. Like the others, best decision I ever made. I played golf three days after and shot about two weeks later. One thing to remember if you're considering mono. My shotgun beads are far enough away from my distance eye (right) to be nice and clear. Handgun sights are pretty fuzzy. I'm learning to shoot a pistol left eyed.

good luck
    JCC

10. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Hey Nubs Just left the Doc's office thursday, having both eyes done starting around the first of March. Very interested in how you do. I am looking forward to having it done. Here's lookin at ya, Take care and good luck. Fraz

11. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

I had lasik done a few years ago and it only lasted about a year for me. I am now wearing glasses again. Very disapointing. I also have floaters in my dominate eye, which I did not have before lasik and I have a harder time seeing at night. When I went back to the doctor they said it is risky to do the surgery again so soon and I should let me eyes settle before getting lasik again. I would like to know how many people have results like mine.

12. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

any eye doctors who know the best thing I should do to correct my vision after reading my story above please email me brian442@yahoo.com thanks

13. kolar kda

kolar kda TS Member

i had coustom cornea lasik done 3 months ago, i was back at work the next day, and shot that weekend (3 days later). i had 20/20 with contacts on, and by the next day when i went in for my follow up appointment i was already at 20/15. its the best thing i ever did and well worth the money! the only problem that i had was at night all lights had a halo around them, but by the end of the first month i was back to normal

14. wm rike

wm rike Member

I had one eye (non-dominant) done about ten years ago due to problems with a contact I had worn for most of 40 years. My correction was geared for something on the order of 20-25 or 20-30, and it works well. The dominant eye works well at distance and with the corrected eye I mostly use reading glasses only in low light. Near and far looks normal to me at all times. Recovery time was about a day or day and a half of mild discomfort and perhaps three days total, like the other respondents have reported.
    Interesting story. I called the opthamologist's office and was put through directly to the man himslef (when did that happen last?). I told him I was interested in the surgery and before he introduced himself or even said, "Hi," he asked me what I did for a living. I told him I was a geologist, to which he said, "Oh," in about the same tone as if I had told him his puppy was dead. I asked what was wrong with that. He went on to explain that the surgery is pretty much what it is - from where he sat the fences were pretty narrow and the results very predictable. He said the success or failure of Lasik is based more on the person's perspective, and that can be largely discerned by the person's occupation. Technical & scientific types tend to be detail oriented, picky, observant, and hard to please; they are bad candidates. Qualitative people such as those in sales and service, are less detailed-oriented and are moer easily pleased with the surgery. I was a bad candidate. We spoke some more and he learned that I shot rifles competitively, and he held this against me (he was a skeet shooter). I told him that I studied optics for a year in school and still used a microscope routinely (more dead-puppy tones). I was also wearing hard contacts, which he considered the pinnacle of extreme correction, and thought anything else would suffer by comparison.
    So I had it done anyhow. I am pleased in that the surgery aleviated the problems I was having, but not so much that I would right now consider having the dominant eye done. It still happily wears a contact.
    The halo effect that people speak of is worse for people requiring extreme correction.

15. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I am not having the mono done. My Doc explained it fully and let me test drive it. I think I want all my vision in both eyes "out there" on the target. I don't need glasses to read now, but was told that I probably will after. I can live with that just fine. Almost without fail, everyone I know that had it done would do it again in a heartbeat. I will report back with any results as they happen.
    Thanks again, Nubs Wagner.

16. porky

porky TS Member

Nubs,Just ask yourself if you spend more time reading and looking at things close than you do at distances. The lasik will wear off quickly and you will be left with thin corneas. Remember that there is no blood supply to cornea. Also, if you have astigmatism, the lasik surgery will be a problem. It may take a year or more for your eyes to settle down from the surgery. Does your eyes produce enough moisture? After surgery you may get dry eye a lot and the wind does havoc with them. Floaters may be a factor in the future. think about it. Lasik is the quick and dirty, but not permanent.You get one cut with a lasik, maybe two if your cornea is thick enough, but never three cuts. The envitable is that you're going to be back to glasses or contacts( maybe not contacts if the cornea is too thin ). There is a new surgery out there where they surgeon lifts the cornea and places a lens under the cornea. You can read and see distance at the same thime. Lasik will elimate your ability to read and see close up. How many times a year do you shave or maybe try to get a speck out of your eye. Ask a woman who wears glasses to see close up how much effort it takes for them to put on makeup. I recommend that you don't have Lasik. I speak from my own experience. I would never do it agian or recommend anyone do it. Your eyes are too precious. Here's what the doctor told me when they found that my eyes weren't right. " We can cut the cornea again with the lasik, but it may make it worse than it is now or make it better." THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.