1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

having a real blast with this hand-held scattergun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Slugo, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Slugo

Slugo Member

I know it's not a traditional shotgun in any sense, but I've been intrigued by the 410 revolvers. When S&W jumped into the game, I was interested. This is their six-shot Governor. Shoots 2-1/2" 410, 45ACP and 45LC. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. I bought it for hiking and back-packing.

gov-001.JPG

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Does this pistol have a rifled or smooth bore?

3. Slugo

Slugo Member

rifled because of conventional metallic cartridges.

4. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Where can I find some info on this pistol? You are right, it does look like it would be fun to have.

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have a 2-3/4" Taurus "Judge" and it's fun to shoot. I have shot bird shot, .45s, 000 Buckshot and .410 deer slugs through it. The recoil is a lot less than my .44 mag. I almost always carry it when I go to the woods. I'll have to look at the S&W as I prefer 6 shots. Larry

6. Slugo

Slugo Member

the Taurus Judge is a bit more economical and is a good quality gun, but only holds five in the cylinder and is heavier. Not a deal breaker...

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

When you guys carry these in the woods, what ammo do you run? My self defense worry is bears, mountain lions and people. When I think of taking down a bear, a .410 isn't really my first choice...or am I being short sighted?

8. Slugo

Slugo Member

I would limit this guns effectiveness to snakes, small animals and bad guys. I plan on using OOO buckshot most of the time.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'd like know at what distance does the pattern become weak enough to not ensure a clean kill on small game using typical small pellet hunting loads?

10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a S+W Governor, and I have shot numerous rattlesnakes with it. Also shot a hog with it, using .45 Colt. Brian, my guess would be 10 yards, and the pattern would become unstable enough, that a second shot would be necessary, with the .410 shells. That is not scientific data, just my experience.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I would pretty much agree with Charlie, I had a Judge for a short while, I wasn't real impressed with it, but it had a problem, with .410 AA's it wouldn't fire every other round, I had bought it at Cabela's in Ft Worth, I took it back and they didn't have another one so they gave my money back, I was kind of surprised as most stores a gun deal is final

When I shot the .410's in it, the powder didn't smell like it had all burned, I had planned on getting another one but something else came along that I thought I needed worse

12. Brian in Oregon

I think it could be a lot of fun for blasting ground skwerls and other pests on a walkabout in sagebrush, where distances are short because line of sight is short.

Other than that, I see no practical use.

Maybe one will drop into my lap dirt cheap and I can try it.

Unfortunately that plan has not worked for a Marlin 1894 or Winchester 94 in .410 with choke tubes LOL.

13. Brian in Oregon

And, you might find these two sites interesting...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot53.htm

Take some of their assertions with a grain of salt. They say that the FBI specifies a 12" minimum penetration in ballistic gelatin to ensure ammunition effectiveness. They claim that takes into consideration heavy clothing. Well, it does, but they left out the part about the 12" figure also specifying a layer of safety glass too. So 12" is not the minimum if you are not shooting through safety glass.

Even so, the test results are interesting enough to take a look at. At close range the buckshot and slugs are going to ruin someone's day.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use my single shot T/C Condender with 10" .410/.45LC barrel for snakes. I take it along on my strip mine fishing trips. I usually carry #6 shot. It not only dispatches of the snake but completely beheads them. It doesn't have a long range although I have shot a few birds with 7 1/2 shot a shorter distances say 15yds.

15. Brian in Oregon

I tested .22 LR, .22 WMRF, .38 Special, .44 Special and .45 ACP snake shot loads from revolvers and autos a number of years ago, to see what patterned the best and at what range. The only one I did not test was the 'Hotshot' load for Contenders, because I did not have a T/C.

The hands down winner was the Remington .45 ACP snakeshot load. This was a crimped over case. It actually cycled in most 1911s. It also cycled my SIG/Sauer P-220. The pattern was outstanding because it had a heavy load of #12 shot. This became my preferred handgun in areas known to have rattlesnakes. It's a pity this load has been discontinued.

The least effective? It's a tossup. The CCI rimfires used #12 shot, but not nearly as much as the .45 ACP. The others used larger shot, but these, despite larger payloads, gave thin patterns. CCI should have gone to large amount of #12 shot, like Remington, in their .38, .44 and .45 loads.

Unfortunately the cci .45 ACP load would not cycle an auto. And if used in moon clips in a revolver, it would tie up the cylinder every time.

I found little difference in pattern for barrel lengths. Rifling was a problem no matter what barrel length.

I finally settled on the CCI .38 Special loads simply because they were available and my smallest revolvers is an aluminium framed S&W Model 12 2". It pocket carries easily. The P220 would be my preferred gun, but the Remington loads are long gone.

16. Avatar

Probably against ATA rules.