1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

having a problem with quarting shots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

from two and three the most.I am thinking I am trying to shoot too fast and I am not following through.Or i am starting my gun too far away from center.Or I am just not cut out for this sport.HELP!I ain't quitting either.
    Monty

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Looks like a straight away but isn't. Stay on the outside edge.

Don

3. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Good morning Monty -

The inside (soft quartering targets), as Big Don states are often seen as a straight aways but they are actually fading, on Post #2 to the right and on Post #4 to the left and the most missed. You must remind yourself to drive the gun through the target and get to the outside edge as Big Don states. Remember, that you might want to look up into a "window" where all the target must pass through (some nine feet out and three feet up off the house) and not the edge of the trap roof so you can see the target at the bottom of your periferal vision and then "lock' (hard focus) on the target as it rises through the "window". The target is flying past your eyes if you are looking down at some 45 MPH which means you have to look up and chase it. By looking up a bit the flight comes to you and makes tracking so much easier. Remember, also that on soft angles you only have the shot pattern (and not the shot string) to work with. This just one coach's thoughts and Monty I wish you great shooting as the summer season begins.

Bruce Maxwell

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Bruce, thanks for that explination. Put me in the group who misses way too many of those "straightaways".

Best wishes, and thanks for the lesson.......mike

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice Don & Bruce, looking at the outside edge. On post 2 -I shoot the target at 8 O'clock & on post 4 I shoot the target at 4 O'clock. This is how I perceive the outside edge. Execution is something else.

Phil Berkowitz

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are doing a lot of aiming. That means looking at the barrel instead of the target. Try concentrating on the target and let your subconscious mind fire the gun. HMB

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

"The inside (soft quartering targets), as Big Don states are often seen as a straight aways but they are actually fading, on Post #2 to the right and on Post #4 to the left"

Bruce,

Don't you have that backwards? If a shooter is on post #2, the only target that is "fading" to the right is the extreme right hand target and it's only fading a little.

Same thing with post #4. The only target "fading" to the left on post #4 is the extreme left hand target and it's only fading a little.

Easystreet

8. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Easystreet - You are correct. But the eye sees a straightaway on Post #2 (extreme Right hand target) but the target is fading to the right and the miss is usually on the inside (left side) of the target. Conversly, on Post #4 the extreme Left is sometimes seen as a straight away and it is fading to the Left. Yes, its only fading a little, but shooters tend to miss when they don't automatically allow for that "fading" target. I hope that helps a little.

Bruce Maxwell

9. romie

romie Active Member

Thank you All
    I like the looking idea I have been looking at the edge and i think i have been chasing the target sometimes because i am looking at the edge of the house.I like the shot string theory.It explains the reason i can hit the wide targets easier.I thing I am stopping my gun on the quarting targets and not following threw. and yes I am missing the straits from 3 and 4 also.
    Monty

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Listen to Big Don

Let the target run a bit. DO NOT try to trap it.

Look at the oustide edge.

There are very few straight aways.

Don Verna

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

An old fellow told me: "STRAIGHT.....WAIT" .....good advice!

See u guys at Mt. Airy on Sunday.....Good Luck, HOM league..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.