1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

having a little trouble with hard lefts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by romie, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I am right handed maybe my feet aren't set for the hard left.any suggestions?

2. Beacon

Beacon TS Member

I am assuming you mean hard lefts from station one. I am also right-handed and I put my left foot slightly forward of my right (no more than shoulder width apart) and at an approximately 45 degree angle from the traphouse. I know others who take a different stance but that works best for me. Is your tendency to overswing or do you feel like you are trying to catch up to the bird?

3. NOyler

NOyler TS Member

On station one I point my gun around 6in to a 8" left of the trap house. So if I get a hard left all I have to do is raise the gun a little and shoot. The only downside of this is if you get a straight target you have to swing right. Since your right handed it should be easier to swing right and catch the bird and it would be to swing left and catch it. Thats the way I shoot them so it may work for you and it may not since everyone shoots different. Good luck.
    Nick

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Keep both feet on the ground if you don't want to look like a ballerina and concentrate and swinging from the waist. Right-handed shooters are prone to arm shooting hard lefts from 1 and 2.

Morgan

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lifting your right heel will help swinging to the left. I don't really lift my heel, I just put a little more pressure on my right toes.

From post one and from all other posts, the 50 yard stake will be the center of the maximum angles you may get from that post. A right handed shooter can swing to the left a little easier than to the right. I set my feet so that my body naturally is facing a point about 10 yards to the right of the 50 yard stake. I do this on every post.

I would not hold my gun off of the left corner of the trap on post one. If you do that, you are much more likely to have to move the gun to the right than to the left.

Pat Ireland

6. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Time to test and see if you are cross-firing. pk

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'm a lefty and am having trouble with hard and shallow lefts at station 1,2 and sometimes 3. I manage to break them but the breaks are not as hard as the straights and rights. I'm thinking I'm not tracking the bird correctly or my gun isn't pointing exactly were I'm aiming. Different guns have the same results, soot balls to the right and straight, chips to the left. Dave T.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

DTrykow,

Sounds like you may dipping or rolling your left shoulder so that the gun swing flattens in relationship to the rising target. This would cause you to hit the target with just the top of your pattern. Are the chips being blown upwards? As a righthander, I sometimes will roll my shoulder on hard rights. A classic fix to this is to raise your grip hand elbow a bit. Try it and you will see how much harder it is to dip your shoulder with your elbow elevated.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My hold point is the middle of the house. That way EVERYTHING is a left had target, except of course for the straight-away.

I was holding over the left corner of the house but found that I was swinging past targets to the right. This eliminates that problem.

10. k80jim

k80jim Member

A wise man once told me """ Go Back To The Bird! """. I think these are words to live by, when you find yourself loosing a bird and not sure how to fix it. Put your feet, hands, hips anywhere you want. If you don't keep your eye on the bird you are in trouble. About 10 years ago at our state shoot I started having trouble with hard lefts, that turned in to medium lefts. The next day I went out for singles and by the end of the first 100 I could not hit anything that went left. I would miss a 1/4 from post 3 and ended with a 76 / 100. I did not even want to go out for the second 100. Went to the practice trap and a friend " Craig " who noticed I was shooting in front of everything. My follow through was taking me right past the bird. I was guessing I was behind and had started over compensating. I could not believe it. He wanted me to wait until I got a hard left and shoot RIGHT at it. I new I would miss, and then he would tell me how far I was behind. But it went up in smoke. I should have known to go back to the bird because an old timer whom I meet and shot with many years ago always said those words. I just never seen it until that day. I went out that afternoon and shoot 100. So, go shoot those lefts and remember... Shoot right at it. You might be surprised. Good luck.

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

A military coach once advised me to point for a straight-away from station one and two when I had a problem with left birds. The advantage being that it is easier to move to the left then right & you do have pleanty of time to move.
    To this day, I still point for the extreme right bird on #1 & #2, foot position as if shooting a quartering left and wind into position. Has never been a problem since.

Big Jack

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Cross firing as Phil stated would be a prime canidate. Make sure your making a smooth level move from the hips, cheek firmly kept on stock and not pulling the gun away from your body through to move. Foot placement is a comfort factor to me and as long as you can freely make the move your foot placement is probably OK. You might try moving in 1/3 the width of house towards center. I wouldn't try cheating_the_angle as this most likely causes a panic move on straightaway targets and losses there. Really, try to have a trusted individual view you while shooting and get there thoughts. I'll end this with saying that I would suspect cross firing is the answer.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Does the gun shoot dead on? Check it on the pattern board first.

14. romie

romie Active Member

I hold for the straightaway and it has seemed to work for me .I think k 80 might have what I am doing I think I might be too far in front of the bird.I'll find out tomorrow,,,What is cross firing????
    Monty

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Monty,

"Cross firing" is when the wrong eye takes over pointing the gun.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Old Cowboy- You are correct, but it can be a little more complex. Eyes are for vision but when you cross fire I believe our eyes are directly connected to our mouth and cause us to utter some words that a gentleman should not utter. There is a relationship between the "wrong eye" an the "wrong words" that the wrong eye made come out of our mouths.

Pat Ireland

17. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Interesting.I'm left-handed and am missing hard rights.Never heard of "cross firing"....but it makes sense.When I do the eye dominance test (by closing one eye /then the other), I'm left dominant and it's amazing how far off my right eye is. My question is: So, what is the fix???? becoming a one-eyed shooter...or closing my right eye when I get a hard right??

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Pat,

I believe our eyes are also connected to the scorer's mouth perhaps by some mechanism of telepathy? When the wrong eye takes over it's usually promptly followed by the scorer calling "LOST".

John C. Saubak

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

dkusner,

IMO, the most satisfactory "fix" for cross firing is a strategically placed little patch of scotch brand magic tape on the non-shooting eye lens of your shooting glasses that will block the view of the front half of the gun for that sneaky ol' non-shooting eye.

John C. Saubak

20. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Thanks John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.