1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have your barf bag ready....

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Crime victim persecuted for being gun owner

by Tim Inwood

It used to be in this country that if you were arrested for a crime you were presumed innocent until trial. Now if you are a crime victim you may be perceived as a criminal if you are a gun owner. After reading an article about a burglary in the Land of Lincoln, my blood went to a slow boil.

In the wee hours of an August morning, Rockford (IL) police were called by the victim's neighbors to report a burglary. What the police found was the disorganized and cluttered home of a gun owner. The burglar had fled, but the police were surprised to find a collection of about three hundred firearms. The 67 year-old homeowner was out of town. Research by police showed he is a legal FOID cardholder in Illinois and the guns apparently were registered. Nevertheless the police proceeded to stack his firearms outside his home and then take the guns into custody. I have to ask, since when is the property of the victim confiscated as suspect?

The comments from the neighbors were equally disturbing to me. Coley Woods who lives across the street said, "Even if he's a registered gun owner or not, that just seems like its too many rifles." Oh really! Says who? Since when is there a set number on what any American can own? It used to be a free country, Has that changed?

"It's just un-real to see this many guns involved a regular residential neighborhood," says concerned resident McArthur Tennin."

From the article (follows below):

"At the current time we're taking the firearms for safe keeping as evidence until we can further investigate this," says Deputy Chief Lindmark.

Neighbors say even though the weapons may be legal, they still pose a security threat to their neighborhood.

The story concludes by noting that, as of late Wednesday afternoon, "police haven't charged the homeowner."

Charged with what? Gun ownership? That is appalling!

I find it disturbing that there is an automatic assumption that something is wrong because someone owns firearms. The fact that someone has a large collection suggests nothing more to me than a hobby or investment. Are we concerned if we find a large collection of baseball cards or stamps? No, of course not. But because of the "culture of sheep" mindset drummed into so many people in this country, there is often an automatic assumption by some that something is fishy if you own guns. The comment that the firearms being in the neighborhood is some sort of security threat is ludicrous and ignorant. I have little patience with such thinking. I note that nowhere in the story do any of the neighbors suggest any issues or problems with their gun owning neighbor. Yet now he is a "security threat."

The events in this story happened in Illinois, a state that has produced anti-gun politicians like Mayor Richard Daley and President Barack Obama, and still lives in the dark ages of denying their citizens any form of law that allows the carrying of arms for defense. So I suppose I should not be surprised by the anti-gun bigotry exhibited. I can only pray things improve for the citizens of Illinois. But it also reminds us that it is up to all gun owners to do our part to educate the public on the fact that our hobby of gun collecting is as natural as collecting sports memorabilia, coins, tea pots or any other hobby pursued by other law abiding Americans. We gun owners are not a threat to anyone except to politicians who wish to ban our guns and that threat is only carried out at the ballot box.

Make no mistake, friends, we may have the Heller and McDonald decisions behind us, but those who wage war on gun ownership are not deterred or going away. They are as determined as ever to take your guns and vilify you in the process. Join the fight to protect your gun rights today.

Tim Inwood is the current Legislative Liaison and Past President of the Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen Association, an Endowment Member of the NRA and Life Member of the OGCA, Republican Central Committeeman for Chester Township A, in Clinton County, Ohio, and a volunteer for Buckeye Firearms Association.

------------------------

http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=185655

UPDATE: Police Seize Over 300 Guns from Rockford Home

(Rockford) -- More than 300 firearms were removed from this home on Auburn Street. It's a scene residents say they aren't accustomed too.

Coley Woods lives across the street from the home. He says, "I'm thinking it's an accident or something, but I look over and I see them with all them rifles."

"It's just un-real to see this many guns involved a regular residential neighborhood," says concerned resident McArthur Tennin.

Police were called to this home just after two this morning. They arrived after neighbors called about a burglary. When police got inside the home, they found empty shell casings and a variety of weapons, from shotguns to rifles.

Deputy Police Chief Greg Lindmark says, "some were loaded, some weren't some appear to be operable because they're old and then some to be fairly new."

Police say a 67 year-old man owns the home and the weapons. He is a legally registered gun owner.

"At the current time we're taking the firearms for safe keeping as evidence until we can further investigate this," says Deputy Chief Lindmark.

Neighbors say even though the weapons may be legal, they still pose a security threat to their neighborhood.

Woods' says, "Even if he's a registered gun owner or not, that just seems like its too many rifles."

Shortly after police arrived, the home was condemned and the guns were only part of it.

Deputy Chief Lindmark says, "When the police got to this residence they found a tremendous amount of garbage and different items stacked from the floor to the ceiling."

Police will run checks on all of the weapons to see if any were stolen or involved in any crimes.

As of late Wednesday afternoon, police haven't charged the homeowner. Police say he's out of town and they're still trying to get in contact with him. Police also haven't made any arrests in the burglary.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Sounds like a hoarder. They will condemn your house if you are a hoarder. I have seen it happen to someone. Hoarding does not give law enforcement the right to confiscate legally-owned guns, however.

3. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I am not upset at the police taking the guns for safekeeping.

If there had been money or jewelry strewn about a burgled house I think I would want the police to take it until the owner could claim it back.

On the other hand, the real story is that once the owner returned he is entitled to retrieve his guns and instead he is being treated as if he must have done something wrong.

4. oz

oz Active Member

If it was gold coins it would be OK. guns are a better investment than gold. oz

5. over/under

over/under Member

What state was this in?

6. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

This sounds like a great lawsuit. Some years back, the police in Cambridge, MA did this same thing to a homeowner who was away, they even invited TV news cameras to view it. Suddenly the laywers got involved, the police went silent and the Constitution (that pesky thing!) was applied. I never heard what the settlement was, but the City of Cambridge and the TV news station settled quickly. I hope that this person follows that route and gives the police a lesson in Constitutional law.

7. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Bushmaster1313

Your way of thinking is the reason this country is in the shape it is in right now. The police/government have no right to steel his guns!

Mark Rounds

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

This is the way it is now. The majority of people in the US now think that guns are a bad thing, and thats the way it is. Due mostly because of the TV stations and all news only showing the public the bad side of guns for many,many,many years now. The public in Texas say would not have been so surprised, but still may wonder about this new information about him. Now that everyone on the block now knows what he has in his house, he will no longer be able to keep his guns there and he will have to move or give up his guns. His house is now marked by all burglers who want guns. This is why the shooting sports are dying, because most people view someone who owns guns as someone who needs to watched and untrustworthly. The publics view on guns have changed in the last 20 years, we have not!!!. Sad, but the way it is. Break-em all. Jeff

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Having that many guns just laying around isn't exactly smart and if the cops can just go in there and cart them out then so could someone else that would then peddle them on the black market.

Sounds like the guy needs a few gun safes. Yes I know, the second amendment does not require gun safes .... but there is something about securing and protecting your property that would reasonably apply here.

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

"Nevertheless the police proceeded to stack his firearms outside his home "

How would anyone like their guns stacked like cord wood in their front yard?

11. recurvyarcher

rpeerless, we are not talking about guns and trinkets. We are talking about GARBAGE stacked to the ceiling. Read the article again. I've seen hoarders like this. It's unsafe (fire hazard) and unhealthy (rodents).

If you want to keep a lot of guns in your house, that's fine. We have a lot of them, too. But you can walk through our house.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether there was garbage in his house, I don't think the police had the authority or any legal substantiation for removing his property from the house, guns or otherwise.

Did they take away any other valuable items for "safe keeping?"

Not as far as I could tell from the article. Only his guns.

Running checks on the guns to see if they are stolen or have been used in a crime? On what probable cause?

Fourth Amendment? What Fourth Amendment?

13. recurvyarcher

As stated in my first post, "Hoarding does not give law enforcement the right to confiscate legally-owned guns, however."

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sorry, missed it.

15. recurvyarcher

Yeah, thanks for the apology, Tim, and for taking the time to really read what I wrote. Now if others would do the same...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.