1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you seen the new DownRange wads?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longhorn, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I had the opportunity to pick up a sample of the new DownRange wads at the Nebraska State Shoot. The wads I got were purple and had the windjammer type petals (8). I just reloaded them and like the other wads DR sells, they loaded like they were coated in silicone, slick and smooth. The petals are not folded over but were like flowers opening. If they shoot as good as they look Down Range has a winner. These wads were intended for use in straight walled hulls but I understand other wads will be coming out that will be for tapered hulls too.

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

You are correct in the fact that Kevin, and Downrange, have a great offering when it comes to wads. You are incorrect, however, in saying the XL1 Jammer purple 8 petal wad is for straight walled hulls. They are designed for tapered hulls like the AA and Remingtons. Check the above link to Downrange's website for clarification........ Respectfully.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

The last 2 cases of WAA12's I bought were horrible with many curled petals. I have NEVER had that problem with DR wads and will buying all my wads form them in the future.

The wad is the most important component after shot. Saving $25/5000 is dumb economy if the wad is inferior. The DR wads I have used (DR XL-1 and Windjammer clone DR WJ RPL) work very well so there is no compromise.

They have a good product and are inexpensive. What is there not to like?

Don Verna

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Don.... I agree. I shoot the DRXL for 11/8oz. loads, and the DRXL-1 for 1oz. loads. I have been completely satisfied with both. I am planning on buying a few cases at the PITA Grand Pacific later this month as I just won't shoot anything else as long as the DR products are available from Dakin at Connies Components. As you said: Great product, great price, great performance. What's not to like?. One of the few very good values available to us trapshooters left, and "American Made" in the bargin.... Dan

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"The last 2 cases of WAA12's I bought were horrible with many curled petals. I have NEVER had that problem with DR wads and will buying all my wads form them in the future..."</blockquote>Yeah, that happens when they get backed up and the wades get bagged while they're still warm.

I've asked Kevin several times if they could go to the Claybusters-type packing where the bags stand on end rather than lay on top of each other. I' haven't been successful in convincing him.

MK

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

DR must have changed something, I bought a case of those lime green ones several years ago and wound up giving them away too many bloopers, went back to OE, ie. TGT12--Fed.12so-- RXP etc. & CBs clones & my problems vanished. The wad was the only thing I changed. I load 98% STS or GCs & (a few Fed. papers when I get them) maybe I'll have to try them (DR) again. Ross Puls

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think the new wad that "Longhorn" is referring to is Down Range's new DRHF3, which is an eight-petal replacement for the Federal family of wads. Kevin gave me this package of samples at the Pennsylvania State Shoot.

averaged_2008_0303236.jpg

They already have that type of wad for tapered hulls - the purple J-XL-1 Jammer and the orange (formerly white) WJ-12-RPL for one ounce and 1-1/8 ounce, respectively.

Ed

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed.... You may be correct. In his post, he said the wads were purple so I "assumed" they were the Jammer. The wads pictured look blue to me, but, I wasn't even aware of the new DRHF3 wad, so I apologize to you, Longhorn, for mis-understanding... Dan

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

They do look blue, don't they?

Ed

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Had a friend that just loaded some in Estate hulls. Shot with him last week. They looked good and shot just fine. I think he was loading about 18 gr of Red Dot.

Steve

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I picked up the free sample at the Ohio State shoot. They are a dark purple wad and they load great. I have always like the winjammer style shot cup. I think DR has an awesome wad and appreciate their innovation.

John

12. TomB

TomB Member

I bought some DRA12 a few months ago and when I tried them with 16.5 gr Promo in a Gray AA case, they caved in. Too short !! I like to have at least a little wad pressure , but they caved. Any suggestions ?? Tom B

13. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Hey Guys.....the XL-1 Jammer is for tapered hulls and use them all the time in my short yardage rounds. These new wads,DRHF3, are the ones I was referring to in my previous thread. They look like they are grape colored to me. No matter what, they really worked well.
    I appreciate the comment Dan.

14. GGPOST

GGPOST Member

I started loading the DRHF3 in all my straight wall hulls and they load great. They are very consistant in quality, the pedals always flair out, and the shot test patterns have been fantastic. I am looking forward to using the new figure 8 wad with 8 pedals for all my tappered wall hulls too. We need someone in the Northeast to stock these so I don't have to keep paying freight!!!

15. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

So we have the new purple for the 12S3, with eight pedals!! What do we have for 12SO's?? I like using their product in federal gold medals, with a Fed 209A primer!!

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"What ever happened to the DRFO wad replacement, for the 12so federal-1oz load."</blockquote>Nothing ever happened to it. It's still in the DR product line....<I>DRF0, 12S0 replacement</i>

MK

17. quartering

quartering Active Member

the fed so wad has a 7/8 oz shot cup and an oal of 1.650". the drfo has a 1 oz shot cup and an oal of 1.685". not exactly a "replacement" in my book. good luck with 'em

18. fishkiller

fishkiller Member

A friend of mine gave me a hundred to try. I loaded 17gr. of 700x in estate hulls and made some of prettiest ink-balls ever for me. Great product!

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I bought a case of the Remington Figure 8 replacement wad and when I opened it, I was sort of shocked.

They had made them a different color than the traditional white. Sort of a very light beige.

I only took out one bag 3 days ago.

Needed some more, so I took out 3 more bags and there were some traditional white colored bags in the case too.

Not upset about the different colors, just surprised that they would mix them together in the same case.

Hauxfan!

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Last year Kevin had a contest on here that I won so I got 5000 wads and I love them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wj-12-rpl downrange wad