1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you heard of mad cow disease?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Dr. Gajdusek, the 1976 Nobel peace prize winner in medicine, has passed away. His work on spongioform encephalopathy, alzheimers, etc (prion diseases) was brilliant.

When I graduated with a B.S. in biomedical engineering, I had the opportunity to work for either Gajdusek at N.I.H., or go on to grad school. I chose the latter, mainly because when I was interviewed for the lab position with Gajdusek, I felt that he was kind of a jerk toward women, but was really nice to the men. A few months after I declined to join his lab, he was arrested for having sex with his adopted sons.

I find this one of life's puzzling dichotomies. How do you feel about somebody who contributed so much to the scientific and medical fields, but on the human side was really flawed? He was convicted, and left the states after serving his prison term.

Anyway, as a matter of your own interest, you would do well to stay away from touching those deer and squirrel brains if you are a hunter. Check out Gajdusek's amazing work, and you might just want to eat fish and veggies for the rest of your lives.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"and you might just want to eat fish and veggies for the rest of your lives", which would be about a week and a half. LOL

3. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I love scrambled eggs and brains. It's Honkey soul food. BRGII

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Curvey, my wife is a Food Safety person at a local meat packing company.

Under NO circumstances are any spinal column components to be used, even for pet food or meal.

Japanese will not take any meat from cattle born before a certain date, which is when the new testing and tracking techniques came in.

We have CWD (same type of prion) in the deer herd here, and a lot of hunters do not know this.

Our deer meat is boned out and any steaks we make do not have any bone component. Same with chops.

Bone the meat, enjoy more sausage and Chili.

HM

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a Rosie O Donnell joke or something

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I thought you were talking about Rachel Mad Cow on MSNBC! LOL

7. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Denny Crane .... MAD COW

Sorry, first thing that cane ti mind?!

Seems NE gets caught for the wrong parts in export beef about once a year.

How do the Japanese find these small traces in the meat?

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

8. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

I believe in summer of 04 there was a bi-partisian bill in congress that would make importers of meat to mark their country of origin. However that great american patriot,Tom Delay (Tommy the bug-man) would not allow it to the floor, knowing americans wouldn't pay the same as U.S. prime, even if they would buy it at all. Don't know if it was lobbists or just all that DDT he inhaled in his youth.
    I have been puchasing beef from a local farmer who has a small herd of angus and doesn't butcher downers as is the case with some others. Now fish is a gamble for me as I go every Fri. to a local pub and have a Cod sandwich and pepsi for the past 40yrs...Mike

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Don't you people watch TV at all? Denny Crain (Boston Legal) has the Mad Cow

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Kevin, the Japs just bounced a shipment here just because of the age of the animals. Someone on this end made a mistake. Cost a few bucks too.

There can't be much left of the older animal product by this time.

HM

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I am getting treated for mad cow disease now. It some how happens when i mis targets or wife will not let me buy a new gun, LOL

12. recurvyarcher

AJ, I can't relate. I've never suffered from PMS. I did used to get cramps in my calves at night when I was running track and cross country. My coach introduced me to potassium tabs, but I learned another trick.

A banana a day keeps the cramps away.

Maybe you should give a banana to your wife, Sarge. It might be what she is lacking.

13. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I'm not touching this one...too easy...not gonna do it.

14. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Sarge, try getting her a vibrator and she might even buy you a new gun...Mike

15. recurvyarcher

Mike, Sarge is the one who has to do the reloading. *He* will be the one that needs a vibrator.

16. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

If I offended you with my earlier post I apologise. I dont need any reloading though I have 3 children. 32,30,28.

Bill Sanders AKA Sarge

Crown Point,In

17. recurvyarcher

Sarge, no offense taken. We were all having a little fun with you is all.

I don't use a vibrator. I just incorporate a watchful eye when I reload shells. Seems to do the trick most of the time. I'm too cheap to buy toys that I don't need.

18. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

The mad cow is something that you would never mess with if you saw the same documentery that I saw. On a second thought, when we found out my Dad was dying with brain cancer we were asked many times if he was a brain eater. They were talking about squirrel brains here and they were in a hurry to find out if in deed my dad had eaten any of that organ. Well he had but the cancer that affected him was not the type one gets from the brain eating. I guess it's a big no-no to eat the brains of squirrels now. So pass the word not too if you know of anyone who would eat them . Dan

19. recurvyarcher

Yes, they are related. Prion diseases include BSE (mad cow disease), Scrapie (goats and sheep), mink encephalopathy, CWD (deer, elk, moose, etc), Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (humans), Kuru (humans), FFI (humans), Feline SE, and a form that horses and zebras get, too (USE).

FFI (Fatal Familial Insomnia) is probably what spawned the belief in zombies.

20. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kuru is contracted by cannibals who eat their victim's brains, if I remember correctly... kindly similar to BSE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.