1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you forgotten?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Just a food for thought thread.

Have you forgotten why you started shooting clay target sports? This thought ran through my head endlessly a while back. I had forgotten why I started shooting them in the first place. It then occured to me that it was for fun and enjoyment. I got caught up in the registered trap shooting vacuum and forgot that it was supposed to be fun. I now shoot for the pure enjoyment of shooting. I like the games, sporting, and skeet. I don't feel the need for being super competitive while shooting (I get enough of people being competitive M-F). I go shoot a couple of three evenings a week and whether I shoot good or bad it makes no difference. When I leave, I'm smiling because I had fun!

On a side note, my shooting has steadily improved since this revelation.

ec90t

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Sounds like just more sniveling about ATA registered shooting. We get it, you don't like registered shooting. Don't shoot it. Shoot what you are comfortable with. Shoot at your comfort level. But please stop attempting to get others to do likewise. Just because you can't or won't hang, don't try and hinder anyone else. There are a lot of folks out there that don't like the silly games that some folks shoot. I can see no earthly reason why anyone would want to shoot a bird one foot off the ground so that he can knock Billy Bob out of the 3 dollar pot. We like to shoot registered targets. Personally, I think that if it is not registered, you are just blowing holes in the air for no reason. But that is just me.

Good luck out there and shoot what you like. John

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I have not forgotten. I still get great pleasure in shooting and competing, even more than when I started. To me shooting just to shoot is no fun and boring. It has to have a purpose even if it's competing against myself. To me shooting and not caring about the result is a waste of time and money.

To each his own. Enjoy the sport anyway you want but enjoy it.

Don

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I shoot registered targets because I like the competition. I don't care if they are ATA, PITA, WRETA, or 50 bird non-registered shoots. The competition is the key. FD

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I love to shoot registered birds. I will shoot a little practice now and then just to help my registered shooting. I shoot for self satisfaction. I get very little satisfaction running 50 straight in practice but I really like to do it shooting registered targets.

Pat Ireland

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have to agree with all of the respondents. I got in it to compete. And I have a lot of fun doing it.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

If you work in the field that I'm in, motorsports, you get enough competition M-F. I like to do things that is relaxing while I'm not at work. Hence the reason why shooting is purely recreational and social instead of competitive social. There also exists a lot of genuine commeradery when shooting recreationally. I don't find the commeradery quite so genuine while shooting registered trap.

John,

Apparently you don't have the ability to hit a moving target at 80+ yards with a 12 ga. I do! I do this with an 1 3/16 oz load that is going just barely over 1300fps. As far as a $3 pot, I usually win closer to $10.00 with a $3 investment. I can shoot all night for less money than 4 rounds of practice and that is if I don't win a dime! With games (annies in particular) you have to constantly change your leads the farther the target goes out and all the while changing your POI. As you stated, there are those that can and the others are spectating. My last year of ATA was A/25/B (with a pump gun) with just a hair over 3,000 targets. So yes, I can hang!

ec90t

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

ec90t.......You have shown the good sense and recognition of what shooting should be all about. Some folks who shoot "registered" get so caught up in the records keeping bullshit that they completely forget it should be fun. There's nothing wrong with registered shooting as long as it is kept in the correct perspective, but some folks can't seem to do that!

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I don't have the time to shoot hardly anything anymore. I registered 0 targets this year. I have got out a few practice days and a few nights of games though. It is about the commeradery and for me it;s about being around "Like minded" people for a change. I work in the most liberal place you can imagine with lots of anti-gunners, anti-Republicans and anti-men if you know what I mean.It's nice to spend time with good folk that I don't have to watch what I say as if every sentance might be my last. I love to compete and it is why I got into registered trap shooting but the people is the reason I will come back when I get the chance. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.