1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever shipped a Bblk in 3" PVC Pipe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I was having a problem finding a sturdy box to ship My Bbl, so I cut a Piece of
    3 inch PVC Schedule 40 36" Long and bought 2 3"inch caps, and glued one on, one end an put padding down the tube, and wrapped the Bbl w/buble wrap and directions in envelope and slid it into the tube, so it will not get damaged in shipping, taped the the other cap very well so the recieving party can open it.

And applied the shipping label to the tube and am sending it out.

I thought this would be a good way to protect the Bbl.

Has anyone used this method? Your opinions.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Have you ever shipped a Bblk in 3

That's what I do, except I then put it in a box so it can't roll around. I can't remember if it was my idea, or if the shipper insisted on the box the first time I used it.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

many times. put a label, "Maps" or blueprints on it...

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I received two custom rifle barreled actions and a Krieghoff barrel from Wright's in the same type of "container."

Ed

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Best way to do it.

6. Barry C. Roach

Tightly wrap barrel in small bubble bubble wrap. Enough to suspend the barrel inside the tube's sides.

7. steele

steele TS Member

Wrap the tube in cardboard also. UPS & Fedex will charge an $5+ for special handling if it is not is cardboard. I'm not sure what their reasoning is, but they will charge extra for bare plastic.

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have shipped barrels and recievers in 4" X 40" ABS black sewer pipe for years. I glued and screwed the ruuber end cap on one end and for access used cap and clamp on the other. I tape over the clamp so no one gets snagged in transit.

For barrel protection, I use foam water pipe insulation as it fits nicely around the barrels taping it in place.

I've used the same tube ten times or more with no ill effects.

Surfer

9. Barry C. Roach

Fedex doesn't charge extra for not being in cardboard. At least they didn't.

10. Kimball

Kimball TS Member

They still don't in Georgia.

11. overbored

overbored Member

All the major shippers use a conveyor system, what do you think a round plastic tube does on a conveyor? Put it in a box wrapped properly and you wont have any problems.

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with PVC coming or going w/ Fedex. I ship round stuff (cardboard mailing tubes) all the time fedex and usps and have never had an issue.

13. cnsane

cnsane Member

My K-80 barrels have always shipped in a piece of sched 40 and never had a problem with destructive brown santa.

14. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

I use a section of perforated black drain pipe..available at All the Big Stores. It's Much Lighter to Ship, Wrap Barrel with bubble wrab and stuff ends with News Paper and Build cardboard box to ship...Never had Any Problems.
    Have Done the PVC Pipe System as Well...Can become a Bit Expensive if you have too Buy All the Parts..As well as the Combined weight of All of the Parts. Shoot Well...Shoot Often, Bart

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Have done it many times

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have used 2 1/2 inch cardboard tubes for years and not one problem .. I would bet the plastic tubes would work just as well ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Thanks guys

Gary

18. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

As a follow up to what overbored said --- back in my competitive rifle shooting days I shipped numerous barrels to 300 Below for cryo treatment. At first I shipped in a PVC pipe and thought I had it figured out- having no problems on my first shipment. While I had no problem with that first shipment, the people at 300 Below advised me to not ship barrels to them in that manner. They reported to me that they had received cracked pipe, broken pipe, pipe containers with holes in them, empty pipe containers with holes (barrel fell out of hole somewhere along the line) etc. They suggested wrapping it in padding and pack/ship in a box. Apparently shippers do use conveyors and a long cylindrical package(pipe) has a tendency to move around and fall off the system, especially when making turns. Sometimes the conveyor system is quite high above the floor.
    I know the idea sounds good and easy – and you may never have a problem but I will not use it.

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I have discovered that marking the outer containr whether cardboard or PVC pipe with "Precision machined parts---handle with care" gets a better handling in transit then usual. And the insurance is a worthy investment. I feel labeling gun parts or gun shop on the label just invites unnecessary curiosity. Even Browning labels their shipping address "BAC" to help with loss control.

Big Jack

20. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Other than ORM-D for ammo via UPS, I've never had to use ANY outside label to describe the contents.

As to misrepresenting what is inside, I don't see how that could be a happy situation if you had to make an insurance claim. In fact, when I ship the barrels for my 100 yr old SxS's, I ship the entire gun, fully insured. That's because it's very easy to prove exactly what the entire gun is worth, but it might be kind of tough to convince an insurer that the barrels alone are worth the entire cost of the gun. For modern barrels that can readily be replaced, that's not the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.