1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever seen a gun mount like this before?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I was shooting trap last night and while trap shooting, I generally don't care what anybody does as long as everyone is shooting safely. I am by no means implying that this shooter was doing anything in an unsafe manner but I ain't never seen a shooter mount a gun to shoot trap like this before.

He gets his foot position set at each post, loads his round, then he takes the gun and he points it almost perfectly straight up in the air then bounces the butt pad into his shoulder like it's a pogo stick then every so slightly brings the gun down over the trap house then calls pull. I ain't never seen nothing like that before in all my days of trap shooting.

Have you ever seen it? I am not one to say if anything is right or wrong but I've never seen anything like that before. I guess I have to give him style points. Just never seen anything like it.

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Have seen it many times, most women do this.

Those guys don't shoot on my squad. They also seem to squat and lean way, way forward.

I'd sure as heck hate to have to do this at like a 500 bird marathon.

WW

3. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

It's a European pigeon shooter's technique. Got a pic somewhere of an Italian Olympic trap shooter pointing at the sky; that I'll be looking for :(

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Yep, I've seen it many a time.

Hauxfan!

5. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

He raised the shotgun about seventy degrees toward the sky, slowly brought it down to his shoulder, leaned forward and, after a moment, yelled “pull.”

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yeah, seen it many times. Looks like they are lifting weights in a training program rather than getting ready to make the shot.

Or, in addition to what Whiz said above about marathons, following such a shooter while he does his exercise program? NOT!

Hap

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

unfortunately, I see it taught more often to youths learning to shoot trap..

8. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I have seen this with younger shooters who were coached to do this. They mount the gun straight up in the air and then rotate down to the trap house only to move the gun again and place it in their shoulder pocket. One of the most bizarre and pointless things I have ever seen someone taught to do. I'd like to hear a full explanation from the coach, and what the benefits are on this, to justify teaching it. It just proves the point that if your taught to do something that makes absolutely no sense you will only get better at it as time goes on. Bad habits can become part of anything we do, but to teach them is ridiculous.

I have seen this in Colorado and Arizona during ATA Events. When I saw this on the squad ahead of me at the Autumn Grand I just shook my head. After the event was over 2 of the people on the squad told me that it was very distracting and the squad came to a complete stop during this performance of nonsense. I had just watched it and agreed.

It does remind me of Baseball Pitchers who do weird things like touch their hat, rub each eyebrow, lick their fingers only to wipe them off on their uniform, check all the imaginary base runners, adjust their cup while shaking a fart down their leg and then throwing a wild pitch!

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have seen it many times, I guess what ever works ... If Big Leo did it and hung a toilet from the front of his barrel everyone would try is at least once ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Drew is right. It's an old European technique that is used very effectively by bunker shooters in their pre-shot maneuver. Olympic trap allows 10 seconds for the shooter to fire after the previous shooters' target is declared dead or hit. Most use all of the 10 seconds. Spanky is exaggerating a little but don't knock it if you haven't tried it. But in benchrest or diaper trap the quicker you shoot the better. Two entirely different games.

Paul A. Bobby

11. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Yes it helps with alingment and locks in tight

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Old guy I hear ya but I ain't exaggerating about bouncing the gun on his shoulder like a pogo stick and sloooooowly bringing that smoke stick down to the trap house. I'm not making fun by any means I have my own quirks I guess. But I'm a people watcher in between rounds but couldn't help to pick up on that.

13. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Distracting and kills squad rythem. If you had an entire squad doing that it'd take well over an hour to shoot 100 singles.

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Always wondered what might happen if they somehow lost grip on the gun at this point. A loaded gun, dropping to the sidewalk, muzzle up. Might be a new way for a close shave, plus some extra laundry. ;-)

Bob Falfa

P.S. Spanky: Did the guy run 'em?

15. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Spanky--What kind of scores was this dude shooting?

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

In the 70's it was very common to see. Mostly women but even some men.

Besides Europeans, I believe Russia used this style of mount for some disciplines. It is in no way dangerous provided shooter is competent.

The style done efficiently is not overly time consuming.

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ever see someone shoot right and left-handed on the same trap? There was a gentleman from Maryland who shot certain posts right-handed and the rest left-handed and did so pretty well. I don't recall his name but he took clinics I hosted with Nora Ross and Phil Kiner. When the other students and the instructor noticed what he was doing, they stared in disbelief of what they thought they saw.

Ed

18. 1903

1903 Member

Sounds pretty stupid. Why????? Next you will probably see someone crouch down and mount the gun and slowly stand up, click his heels three times then call pull...

19. Straight50

Straight50 Member

There is a 4H coach teaching his kids this method at our club, and I have on occasion been assigned a squad with a grown man that doe's this as well. He also incorporates the extreme forward lean bit, complete with both knees bent into sort of a squat, then he looks to the left, then to the right, then straight ahead and calls for the target with a pullllll that must last for 4 or 5 seconds.I think its funny, but try to avoid his squad if possible. No such thing as a quick 25 with this guy. lol!

20. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

He didn't run them. I couldn't give you exact numbers I wasn't on that squad and was lucky to only observe. He had misses. When I first saw it going on I thought he was a ringer or something.

I'm far from perfect. No Harlen Campbell here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.