1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever needed your concealed carry gun???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by big joe, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

I have had a concealed weapons permit for 30 years and do carry on occasion.
    Luckily for me I have not ever been in fear for my safety while carrying.
    Just wondered if anyone has had a different experience.

Joe

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

"tis better to have and not need than to need and not have"!!

'nuf said!

Curt

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Only once. The presence of the weapon ended the threat. No shots fired.

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Those who have needed it and those who will need it.

WesleyB

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Twice in over 40 years ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've never needed it...........so far.............but there have been a time or two where I felt safer because I had it.

Hauxfan!

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Didn't have a concealed carry gun, but a shotgun saved my a** one night.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Like Hauxy, I have felt better a couple of times knowing I had a gun with me. I have never had to draw the gun - and hope I never will need to.

I don't go looking for trouble; but bad things can happen to good people.

I fear things will get a lot worse as our economy self-destructs. We have over 25% unemployment in MI (yes, I know the official number is 15%; but they do not count those that have given up looking for work). People will/are getting desperate. Just last week, a lady had her purse snatched at the Kroger store we shop at - and we live in an upscale area.

Don Verna

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I actually had to get mine out once...about dark, not a great part of town, guy running at my as I'm getting in my truck. I keep a gun in the truck, so I get it out thinking I'm about to get car jacked. He wanted $50 for a tow...I told him to get lost.

My concealed carry guy gave me two pieces of advice I still think are the best I've ever heard:

1. If you're going someplace, and your last consious thought before leaving to go is "I better grab my gun before I go"....you should re-think going to that particular location.

2. If you're walking down the street, carrying, and you see a problem - guy beating a girl, robbery, whatever - and you're NOT directly involved already (like the guy above who was IN the store when it got robbed) and you think you're going to whip out your gun, go get involved and SOLVE the problem...think again. You're not carrying for the right reason.

Thought those were good when I heard them then, still think so...

10. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

Growing up in Florida I was always around firearms. I then went into the military to shoot almost every "small arm" they use. While in the military I met my wife (who was born and raised in CA). Well we got married and I then stayed in California and have been since 1992 when I joined the military.

Here you cannot carry concealed unless you have "good cause". That is just BS, self defense of myself or my family is what I believe constitutes "good cause" however MOST of CA does not see it that way.

Do NOT believe the lawmakers when they use vague language such as "reasonable gun rstrictions, good cause, etc...", because their interpretation of these statements is NO ONE but law enforcement should own firearms.

I find it ridiculous that the "government" has NO PROBLEM with me carrying a sidearm and a full auto rifle as a soldier that will "do as THEY wish (go to war, move here, move there, etc...)" however once I leave the military I suddenly can NOT be trusted to carry a concealed sidearm.

And what pisses me off the most is I had to sell my SPAS12 and HK91 before I moved here, because I moved here AFTER the assault weapon ban registration for California expired.

As you can tell this issue is a sore spot for me since I feel neutured in a country that I fought for and risked my life, swearing an oath to uphold the Constitution of the US yet I see these lawmakers using it to wipe their a** with.

I will end this rant with a question. When was the last time you have heard anyone anywhere say "the United States of America is the land of the free and home of the brave" other than singing the star spangled banner? Think about it!

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When we were living on a boat, we were boarded at aprox 4AM. A person was on the swim platform & was getting ready to climb up to the sun deck. The laser's red dot, convinced him to exist quickly.

Phil Berkowitz

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I will disagree with the second point of Jeff P's instructor,,,,if your wife/child is being beaten or raped, I would step in,,,,I hope someone would do the same for mine....

I also agree as our economy worsens, there will be more incidents of criminal activity

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

My next door neighbor was involved in an incident that may be made into movie some day over the weekend. He left his pistol at camp because it was going to be a quick hunt and he didn't want to carry the extra weight. Long-long story short.. IFf he had had his gun he would have killed at least two people and maybe 4. They got very lucky and lived to tell the story but my neighbor will never go anyplace unarmed again as long as he lives.

Bottom line? If you think you need to carry then carry every day. Jeff

14. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Once again I would like to participate in this discussion but I live in Wisconsin. WI government feels the state is safe and citizens have no need to defend themselves. They must not watch the news out of Milwaukee.

Joe

15. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I have had to pull my gun twicein 25 years. I thank the good Lord that I did not have to shoot either time.

16. JRW

JRW Member

One time for me, deer hunting. While field dressing nice 6 point, 2 guys walked up one picked up my rifle I asked him to put it back against the tree. He said when I am done looking at it. when I said now he was staring at a m19 s/w 357, do not know if it was really needed but it got their attention. Jerry in MI.

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Yes, but don't want to write about it in a public forum. Fred

18. AAfan

AAfan TS Member

Yup, twice. First time made me rethink bedside gun. It was 3 AM and estranged boyfriend of neighbor blew out her car windows with shotgun, when her brother ran out, confrontation ensued with perp holding a bead on brother. I rolled out of bed at first blast, had girlfriend call 911 while I went out front door. Realized my S&W 66 Snubbie was seriously outclassed! Shooter final took off after yelling match with brother while I used cover to see if he was going to shoot brother. Their whole discussion was in Spanish so I did not know at the time if situation was defused.

My Bedside gun is now a 12 Gauge Remington 870 with LaserMax laser/flashlight combo.

The Second time was on a parolee committing violent spousal abuse. I was the only man present with firearm in campsite (actually other guys "disappeared" until situation over!) I held him till deputies arrived...

The lesson of story, at home a shotgun, everywhere else, the biggest you can conceal!!

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

bigdog I think the part about "if your not directly involved" pretty much covers your wife and child being beaten" senario in jp's post. Of course you would do what you should. I think his instructors point was don't try to be John Wayne and save the world.

Always a lot of chest thumping when this comes up, guys who have actually seen the elephant don't talk about it to strangers.

20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

sbe,,,,I was referring if YOU saw my wife/loved ones that hopefully somebody would step in,,,,there is no question as to what I would do if it was my own,,,,don't need to be "John Wayne" to do what is right for your fellow man instead of just sitting on the sidelines

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

have you ever drawn your carry