1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever had a spectator ask you to move?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oscar Ray, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Answer would be "No, Sorry"

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

What Oscar said but not sorry

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You could reinforce the image that trap shooters are grumpy old men, or you could be pleasant and ask how their son is doing, and move back into the shade with them, so everyone can see. Mark

4. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

10-4 Mark.
    Don

5. starfix

starfix Member

Don, What if it was the guy that we talked about at the Indiana State Shoot? you know (handicap)???? starfix.

6. revbook

revbook Member

If it was so important for them to watch their son they should have been there before you. The only way I would have moved is if the "askers" were older than me and needed the shade more.

Don in PA

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I think a brief "spectator etiquette" segment should be part of any youth program. A lot of these parents don't shoot. The shade went out about three feet from the building and that was wall to wall parents. Everyone between that wall and the 16 yard line was "in the way" of these parents. At least they weren't standing between the 27 and the 16 coaching between posts like I've seen in the past and I didn't hear any loud applause while others were shooting this year so maybe there's hope. I was on the same squad as Ertz and also found it a little annoying.

Bob

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It is my understanding of the situation was that the family was there first and sitting in the shade, watching the squad shoot. The new shooter walked in front of them, and stood watching the squad from the back of the pad, in the sun, blocking their view. It was blazing hot, but he wasn't smart enough to get out of the sun, or polite enough to realize that he was blocking the view of people that were interested in watching that squad, and were already there. They diplomatically asked if he could not block their view. I say golden rule applies. Mark

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You said they just started their 25. So, I would have said sorry myself, left my gear at the table, and moved back out of the way, in the shade with them. I am sure it was important to the youngster as well, to be able to look back and see them there watching. You can watch the birds from a distance and judge what they are doing. When you start, there is always the "See a bird" first. Just my opinion.

It is good you brought it to our attention though. Maybe we all will be a little more aware. If we are nice to the non-shooting spectators, maybe they will take interest in the sport, or want to keep their kids shooting. Maybe even meet some new people, and become a mentor to the kids.

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Nothin worse than helicopter parents who not only hog up all the sittin' room on the bench, but the shade too. Especially ones runnin' their yaps asking inappropriate questions. Typical soccer mom demeanor.

Is it ok to ask a golfer to move so you could watch his partner make a shot?

Most of the real trapshooting parents I know stay well away from the trap line, benches and shooters, and would never impose in such a way.

Guy B.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would had said 'I'm sorry' and moved out of their way. Go find some other coll spot to hang out in for awhile. What possible upside would there be in forcing your presence on these people?

Have some class and move your ass.

12. pdq

pdq Member

I've never been asked to move, but I've been asked to leave plenty of times!!!

Pete

13. zinger

zinger Member

I am truly amazed at the piddly complaints these days.....shaking head! Agree with Oregunner and Wolfram.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would have to know HOW they asked. If nicely I wouldn't mind at all. If rudely BUZZ OFF, I'm getting ready to shoot myself.

15. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Starfix, there are always exceptions to every case. LOL
    Don

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'm sure some of these guys would change their minds if it was their grandchildren shooting and they wanted to watch. Although the way they act I'd bet the grandkids wouldn't want them there.

17. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Got to go with Oregunner on this one. If I was blocking a parents view of their child shooting ofcourse I would move. Is that the right thing to do? It is called being polite.

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm with Mark, acting as a grump as previously described, would only get my brain focused on something negative rather than shooting the field in a few minutes. I'd prefer to feel good by assisting the parents viewing their kid......breakemall

19. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Crap! you guy's complain about everything, aren't there any adults left in this game or just over aged adolescents who whine at anything at a drop of a hat.

How would you like to be covered from head to toe with woolen clothing tie and all like the founders of this game. I'm sure they were very, very uncomfortable wearing these outfits shooting in triple digit heat, but complain, I think not, they were Adult Men who stood and delivered; take a lesson.

If you want a guaranteed place to sit carry a folding stool and if you want shade carry an umbrella, no one owes you anything, not even a spot in the shade.

first come, first served........

Manners, class, consideration that's another topic.

Surfer

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Perhaps Likes-2.

I do like my grandson much better than ANY of my kids, but that's another thread someday. Besides at five, he's yet too short to watch.

I do get a tad grumpy when its 100somthin bejesus degrees, I'm 3 boxes into the last event of a 400 target day, and next to shoot only to discover there's no room on the friggin bench to rest me bones for a spell cause of all the vultures gawkin.

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.