1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever bought...?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kiwiG, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, 3 years ago I bought an MX8 with PFS that was about twice my budget.I've never looked back, am shooting better than ever (so enjoying it more), and my wife never even blinked when I told her truthfully what I'd done. My question is...Have you ever bought a gun that was a bit more than you could really afford, and how did it work out? Cheers-Graham.

2. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

We've all been there, done that. Works great, until the next perfect gun presents itself.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Everyone who uses a credit card and repays the minimum buys something he can't afford.

Neil

4. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Oh yeah! Have also NOT bought something I knew I should have too. Was at the old Roadrunner Open at the National Shooting Complex years ago. Tommy Oliver had a Krieghoff San Remo 4 bbl set on his table. When I put it up to my shoulder it just went CLICK!!! and fell into place.

No, I didn't buy the gun. And yes, I always wished I had. I've tried to not make that mistake again! That can be costly!!!!!!!!!!

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Nope. If I don't have the cash that I can do without, the gun doesn't get purchased.

Odd thing is, by using this philosophy, I seem to be able to afford nicer and nicer guns as the years go by....and more of them!!
    Debt is a terrible thing.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Never thought I could afford a Kolar, price was just wayout of my ballpark. So instead over the years I bought a bunch of $2000 trap guns that I put an additional $500 in each one trying to make them shoot better. This fall I found a dealer who wanted 4 of those guns I had sitting in the safe and could not sell and traded me for a almost new Kolar unsingle. Now all I have to do is buy the O/U barrels for about the price of another $2000 gun and I'm set for a long time.
    I still look at the price of this gun and say how did I ever afford this thing and yes the wife was there when I made the deal.

7. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Quality gun, not quantity gun(s)! Get the best, get it fit to you and take a clinic(s). Money and time well spent - your averages and handicap yardage will prove you right. How many people have been shooting for a LONG time and never seem to progress? There is probably a reason!

Eric

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I put up with the wrong gun for Doubles ( for me anyway ) for 14 stubborn years before I found a new home for it.

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Every gun I ever bought was more than I could afford, but thats the fun in it. Used to spend all my money on wild women, but got older and started to like guns more. Ever sleep with your gun....fun,fun,fun,and more fun!

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

a friend of mine was told by his wife just before he was leaving for the waukesha state shoot, that if he purchased another gun, she would divorce him. she even had him sign a paper that he would never purchase another gun. he went to the shoot, he purchased a rem 3200 trap. at the end of the day, he went back home, did a low crawl to the basement window, as he was sticking the gun case into the basement, his 20 yr old daughter was waiting for him. he gave her $20.00 not to tell her mother. the daughter told the mother, that dad give me $20.00 not to tell you something. the mother gave the daughter $30.00 and the kid spilled her guts. he told me that world war lll erupted that night. did not see him at the club for 2 wks after that. also he missed the rest of the state shoot.

another friend of mine was into purchasing high priced guns. his wife was a professional, and she made good money. one day, he was waiting for a new gun, ups came to the house, she told the man, that her husband passed away during the night, and he should return the item. she filed for divorce shortly after, don't know if that was the last straw or night. have not seen my old friend at the club, since the divorce.
    steve balistreri

11. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, I don't know how much money I 'wasted' putting shells through guns that were 'okay' but within my budget, not to mention how much I lost when finally getting rid of the darned things...I'm a 'lefty' and as a schoolboy shot a lefthand pidgeon superposed ... about 4x what I could afford but I still think in retrospect it would have worked out the better deal. The MX8 fitted as it was, I agreed to buy and luckily the owner has known me for 15 years(1/3 down 18 months to find the balance). It could be a coincidence that my wife never batted an eyelid, but booked herself a Caribbean cruise the next week. Kind regards-Graham.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Years ago I bought a NIB FN FAL para model (50.64). Valerie was in the living room when I brought it in. "What's that?, she asked icely. I told her. "How much did that cost?" Well, before I could come up with a convincing lie, my buddy blurted out the price, stating it was a bargin. I tossed the rifle on the sofa and bailed out the front door. Valerie was right behind me with a stick in her hand. We made a couple of circuits around the house. One of the neighbors was watching this, and asked the neighbor next to him what was going on. "I think Brian brought another gun home", he said.

Anyway, I still have the gun, and still use it from time to time. I was using it as a bad weather hunting rifle instead of my Browning 1885 Single Shots. But ironically it's worth far more than the Brownings are now.

13. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have bought a few over the years that were a bit out of reach. Sometimes using credit and other times just pulling the old belt in a couple of notches and ecking by until I recovered. Never have hidden a gun buy from the wife, she has always trusted my judgement. When I did use credit, paid it off quickly when extra funds became available.

As said earlier, the one lesson I have learned is to wait to buy the best gun instead of settling for a cheaper gun in the meantime. Ends up being cheaper in the long run.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Every gun I've ever purchased cost more than I should have spent. When and if you really want something, you'll find a way to get it. Just human nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.