1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have You Driven a Ford Lately?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

All right everybody, get rid of all rice burners and buy a Ford!!!! and I'm not kidding!!!!

Attached is a well written "Letter to the Editor" from Elkins Fordland

Editor:

As I watch the coverage of the fate of the U.S. auto industry, one alarming and frustrating fact hits me right between the eyes. The fate of our nation's economic survival is in the hands of some congressmen who are completely out of touch and act without knowledge of an industry that affects almost every person in our nation. The same lack of knowledge is shared with many journalists whom are irresponsible when influencing the opinion of millions of viewers.

Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama has doomed the industry, calling it a dinosaur. No Mr. Shelby, you are the dinosaur, with ideas stuck in the '70s, '80s and '90s. You and the uninformed journalist and senators that hold onto myths that are not relevant in today's world.

When you say that the Big Three build vehicles nobody wants to buy, you must have overlooked that GM outsold Toyota by about 1.2 million vehicles in the U.S. and Ford outsold Honda by 850,000 and Nissan by 1.2 million in the U.S. GM was the world's No. 1 automaker beating Toyota by 3,000 units.

When you claim inferior quality comes from the Big Three, did you realize that Chevy makes the Malibu and Ford makes the Fusion that were both rated over the Camry and Accord by J.D. Power independent survey on initial quality? Did you bother to read the Consumer Report that rated Ford on par with good Japanese automakers.

Did you realize Big Three's gas guzzlers include the 33 mpg Malibu that beats the Accord. And for '09 Ford introduces the Hybrid Fusion whose 39 mpg is the best midsize, beating the Camry Hybrid. Ford's Focus beats the Corolla and Chevy's Cobalt beats the Civic.

When you ask how many times are we going to bail them out you must be referring to 1980. The only Big Three bailout was Chrysler, who paid back $1 billion, plus interest. GM and Ford have never received government aid.

When you criticize the Big Three for building so many pickups, surely you've noticed the attempts Toyota and Nissan have made spending billions to try to get a piece of that pie. Perhaps it bothers you that for 31 straight years Ford's F-Series has been the best selling vehicle. Ford and GM have dominated this market and when you see the new '09 F-150 you'll agree this won't change soon.

Did you realize that both GM and Ford offer more hybrid models than Nissan or Honda? Between 2005 and 2007, Ford alone has invested more than $22 billion in research and development of technologies such as Eco Boost, flex fuel, clean diesel, hybrids, plug in hybrids and hydrogen cars.

It's 2008 and the quality of the vehicles coming out of Detroit are once again the best in the world.

Perhaps Sen. Shelby isn't really that blind. Maybe he realizes the quality shift to American. Maybe it's the fact that his state of Alabama has given so much to land factories from Honda, Hyundai and Mercedes Benz that he is more concerned about their continued growth than he is about the people of our country. Sen. Shelby's disdain for "government subsidies" is very hypocritical. In the early '90s he was the driving force behind a $253 million incentive package to Mercedes. Plus, Alabama agreed to purchase 2,500 vehicles from Mercedes. While the bridge loan the Big Three is requesting will be paid back, Alabama 's $180,000-plus per job was pure incentive. Sen. Shelby, not only are you out of touch, you are a self-serving hypocrite, who is prepared to ruin our nation because of lack of knowledge and lack of due diligence in making your opinions and decisions.

After 9/11, the Detroit Three and Harley Davidson gave $40 million-plus emergency vehicles to the recovery efforts. What was given to the 9/11 relief effort by the Asian and European Auto Manufactures? $0 Nada. Zip!

We live in a world of free trade, world economy and we have not been able to produce products as cost efficiently. While the governments of other auto producing nations subsidize their automakers, our government may be ready to force its demise. While our automakers have paid union wages, benefits and legacy debt, our Asian competitors employ cheap labor. We are at an extreme disadvantage in production cost. Although many UAW concessions begin in 2010, many lawmakers think it's not enough.

Some point the blame to corporate management. I would like to speak of Ford Motor Co. The company has streamlined by reducing our workforce by 51,000 since 2005, closing 17 plants and cutting expenses. Product and future product is excellent and the company is focused on one Ford. This is a company poised for success. Ford product quality and corporate management have improved light years since the nightmare of Jacques Nasser. Thank you Alan Mulally and the best auto company management team in the business.

The financial collapse caused by the secondary mortgage fiasco and the greed of Wall Street has led to a $700 billion bailout of the industry that created the problem. AIG spent nearly $1 million on three company excursions to lavish resorts and hunting destinations. Paulson is saying no to $250 billion foreclosure relief and the whole thing is a mess. So when the Big Three ask for 4 percent of that of the $700 billion, $25 billion to save the country's largest industry, there is obviously oppositions. But does it make sense to reward the culprits of the problem with $700 billion unconditionally, and ignore the victims?

As a Ford dealer, I feel our portion of the $25 billion will never be touched and is not necessary. Ford currently has $29 billion of liquidity. However, the effect of a bankruptcy by GM will hurt the suppliers we all do business with. A Chapter 11 bankruptcy by any manufacture would cost retirees their health care and retirements. Chances are GM would recover from Chapter 11 with a better business plan with much less expense. So who foots the bill if GM or all three go Chapter 11? All that extra health care, unemployment, loss of tax base and some forgiven debt goes back to the taxpayer, us. With no chance of repayment, this would be much worse than a loan with the intent of repayment.

So while it is debatable whether a loan or Chapter 11 is better for the Big Three, a $25 billion loan is definitely better for the taxpayers and the economy of our country.

So I'll end where I began on the quality of the products of Detroit . Before you, Mr. or Ms. Journalist continue to misinform the American public and turn them against one of the great industries that helped build this nation, I must ask you one question. Before you, Mr. or Madam Congressman vote to end health care and retirement benefits for 1 million retirees, eliminate 2.5 million of our nation's jobs, lose the technology that will lead us in the future and create an economic disaster including hundreds of billions of tax dollars lost, I ask this question not in the rhetorical sense. I ask it in the sincere, literal way.

Can you tell me, have you driven a Ford lately?

Jim Jackson

Elkins

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

We got a new 08 150 and we love it. Jess

4. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Does that include Lincolns and Mercurys also???

5. twopipe

twopipe Member

I have an '06 E250, bought in '07, for hauling bikes, that I'm pretty happy with. Also still driving my '96 F150 4x4 (winters) that still looks & runs good. And I'm not even a Ford fan usually. Bruce

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Don't forget that in 10 years, when hordes of broke, divorced Americans are driving around in Chinese cars - it will suddenly be the Japanese transplants who will be "uncompetitive."

And most of those Chinese automobiles will probably have "American" nameplates on them!

So be careful, Senator Shelby, when you clamor for Detroit automakers to be more "competitive." You may get exactly what you asked for, and Detroit may give it to you good 'n hard. They're not building all those overseas plants for the heck of it.

We may all come to miss the days when Detroit honored its legacies in America, at considerable cost to its own balance sheet. I'm guessing that is something that won't be repeated.

But hey, I could be wrong...let's go ahead and put all those Detroit retirees in the poorhouse - and see if it doesn't end up costing us anything.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My Ford trucks work hard and I love them, My 96 diesel F 250 has 400K, and has always hauled and towed It's entire life. I'm a mason contactor so it hauled some major tonage. My wifes Taurus is still running strong and looking good, She paid her last payment three years ago.

We make good trucks, our workers are well paid and share the wealth.

Have some American pride people!

8. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Amen,drove one this morning,2005 F 150 King Ranch.

Let us not forget at the start of World War Two what the Big Three Did.

Yes, they retooled and made planes,jeeps,tanks,etc.

Even the type writer companys made carbines,which I do have one.

Please don't forget the big three togather gave 200 million dollars and several
    vehicles to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

For thanks the Senator of La. voted against the bailout.

Small world

Bo

9. emm2

emm2 Member

Very well said. I love my 04 F150.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

My 2001 F-250 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. All my Tioga motorhomes were Ford based and they have been great as well. If people aren't happy with wheels like that, I just can't imagine what they want.

Neil

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I will 2nd what Neil said, 2005 F250 Powerstroke. What can you drive that weights 4 tons and gets 21+ on the highway?

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I'm a die hard ford man and love my 06 f150, 02 Winstar and 01 Taurus. Between the three I have about 300,000 miles with no troubles. For five years I was a service manager for both Ford and Toyota and I'm not saying Toyota doesn't make good cars and trucks but in my opinion they were not up to a Ford. The Crown Vic is the most trouble free vehicle made I believe. Jackie B.

13. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

I've driven a Ford lately. Ho-hum. I'll stick to my Avalon thank you. Got 30 mpg out of my last tank and a better ride too. It'll do 33-34 on regular if I keep it at 65, but I can't, so 30 is fine for a heavy car with 268 hp V6.

"GM outsold Toyota by about 1.2 million vehicles in the U.S."

That's great, but I remember when they OWNED the U.S. market. So since they're losing money on every car they sell they can make it up by increasing their volume? No, wait a minute, if they sold twice as many cars they'd lose twice as much money? Toyota has cash reserves in the millions or billions and Ford mortgaged every single thing they own in 2006 to borrow money - and now they're broke again. It is sad, sad, sad the way they've run the company into the ground.

I'm sorry, if they were selling what most folks wanted they'd be in fine shape assuming they hired some sensible management. They don't and they aren't. People aren't stupid, not all of them, they look out for themselves. Yes, I've even driven a Malibu. Three if you count the two at the office. Ho-hum. Better than the last Buick my father owned or the one my uncle owned reliability-wise, but not much.

If the American makers didn't puff up their sales numbers with fleet sales to governments they'd be in deeper trouble. I wonder if they make any money on fleet sales?

And you can't believe those polls about quality. Check it out using Google. Or just check the used car prices by brands. People aren't stupid.

Yeah, I miss being a GM family, but it isn't the 50s or 60s anymore. My father fought the Japanese in the Pacific from New Guinea to the Philippines, but he finally threw in the towel and bought a Toyota the last time after 3 new GM cars in a row turned out to be lemons.

John

14. jimx200

jimx200 Member

John you sound pretty defensive and insecure about your Toyota. Your overpriced Avalon mileage is about what my 2007 and 2001 Taurus's got...and they both went 200,000 before I sold them. Total repairs for both were less than $800. for 400,000 miles. Toyota parts? Bring your Visa..expensive. Oh wait, they never break down...right. BTW, the Taurus's kick butt on vehicle safety too ..5 Star..and your Avalon? Fleet sales? Get a clue: toyota and Nissan sell to the rental companies too. FWIW, my father was a WWII Marine and NEVER bought a Jap made car...Buick man all the way.

15. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

My 2008 Sable, 30-34 mpg at 75-80 mph--suck my fumes Avalon lover. Not bad for a 263 hp 3.5L V-6, which is also the safest car in America.
    Go peddle your crap somewhere else.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So, Detroit vehicles are SO good that Detroit auto makers put a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on them, right?

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I don't own a Ford but bought a new 08 Dodge Ram this last March. With the small V8, I get good gas mileage and with the winter we are having now, I'm glad of the 4WD.

Jerbear

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Still driving my 99 Explorer almost 100 k

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

People in this country used to care if their neighbors had a job or not. Now they only care about Me Me Me Me Me Me, And my 10 year warrentee on My Nagasaki nut bucket.

You ever think your neighbors might support your job in one way or another?

20. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Proud owner of my '94 Ford Explorer with almost 180,000! Still like the Honda Pilot MUCH better, but Ford at least is getting a worse reputation than they deserve. However I have heard nothing but bad things about Chrysler, mainly their transmissions, and likewise nothing good about GM these days. But of course, I can only speak for Ford on this one.
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.